Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Computer Shopper's i3 review (March 2006)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Computer Shopper's i3 review (March 2006)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bighassan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Computer Shopper's i3 review (March 2006) Reply with quote

The March edition of "Computer Shopper" carries a review of popular systems including a most unfair one of the StreetPilot i3. I was so annoyed by it that I wrote a letter to the magazine which I now share with all users of this forum. I don't know if they'll print it, but if they do, here's a free preview!

Your review of the Garmin StreetPilot i3 i the March addition filled me with annoyance! I love my little StreetPilot, and to see it dismissed in so few words by this libellous article offends strongly my sense of justice. Expressions such as "appalling navigation", "terrible mapping", "useless in town" were so grossly unfair that it made me wonder how much time the reviewer spent with it, if any. Possibly some bloke down the pub told him about it, ond on that the review was based? Even the starting price quoted (£160) was incorrect. I paid £99 (including VAT) in Somerfield and it came preloaded with the latest City Select V8 maps. By contrast, the systems of friends whose expensive systems were standard on their new (BMW) cars stop displaying maps when they are 60 miles from the east coast here in Northern Ireland. Although their screens don't say "Beyond here there are lions!" they might as well, for all the use they are!

My own experience is worthy of note. Shortly after starting to use my StreetPilot I travelled to England on a night when there was heavy fog. On the way to the airport the visibility was so poor that I would have struggled to read exit signs from the motorway. But I didn't need to! I was very happy to see on screen exactly where my airport road exit was. When I finally arrived in England (Luton rather than Bristol because of flight cancellation) the StreetPilot was a blessing from Heaven. It took me faultlessly from Luton airport to our hotel at Park Royal and from there to Paddington Station and back (and I don't really know my way round London at all). "Useless in town"? Come on, give me a break!

I am a member of a forum devoted to the i3 based at http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/. I think that its many devotees there are entitled to some sort of apology for the misrepresentation which your pages have carried. It's the least you can do!

:x
Aitch2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The review is here: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/shopper/labs/82652/garmin-streetpilot-i3.html

Sounds like the muppets hadn't figured out the map zoom function, really - doesn't it? Rolling Eyes

Obviously, if you're trying to display half of London at once - 'course it won't update the map that quickly! 8O

Aitch
ride4smilesjonny
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well for what its worth im chuffed to bits with mine, so chuffed in fact im gonna go and make a brew, anyone want one? - Crack open the digestives! :P
hi ho hi ho.....
www.ride4smiles.co.uk

£3500 raised in two weeks! :-)
Oneway
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an i3 that had v7 maps on, had no probs with it, it always stayed stuck to the windscreen and I never missed a turning. Then I swapped it for a unit with v8 on and since Ive had this one it keeps comming away from the windscreen and frequently I have missed turnings as it seems to slow, and its sh*t slow recalculating 1min plus to work out Im off route. I have upgraded the firmware etc as I did with my unit with v7 on. My point is maybe the earlier built units were better than the newer ones and may be they tested a rubbish unit like mine, wish I hadnt swapped it now.
:D
Aitch2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you need to update your sucker-mount's firmware! Laughing

Aitch
London_i3_Newbie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi is there any truth that the unit is slower drawing maps when running V8 maps than V7?

also does it draw the map faster or slower by setting it to MOST rather than more. normal, less. least...

What is the easiest to understand/follow & which does it draw quicker the 3D or 2D view?

Computer Shopper
Review: XBOX360
Comments: nuff wikid sh*t aint it bro like forshizzle. sum of it nuff wikkid respect. other aint not so wikkid G. Baddzzzzzzzzz..Overz KLF uhha uhha
Map: City Select Europe NT v7
POIs Uploaded: Speed Camera Data
ride4smilesjonny
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oneway wrote:
Then I swapped it for a unit with v8 on and since Ive had this one it keeps comming away from the windscreen and frequently I have missed turnings as it seems to slow, and its sh*t slow recalculating 1min plus to work out Im off route. I have upgraded the firmware etc as I did with my unit with v7 on. :D

Oneway.
my unit has the V8 mapping and up until now i can only praise it, there has been two occassions i have missed a turn but this has been human error (not putting my faith in the unit on what appeared a dead road) it recalculated immediately and i was prob 15 feet or so past the turn i should have taken, it re-routed perfect, and thats with the V8 mapping, it may be something else within your unit?? Confused
hi ho hi ho.....
www.ride4smiles.co.uk

£3500 raised in two weeks! :-)
alan_t
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well got to say, thats the sh1ttest and shortest review i've ever read.
theres a few words i like to say here about the reviewer, but unfortuantely would not get expressed in the correct way as the swear filter is on.Laughing Out Loud

i got v8 mapping, and i think its spot on and very accurate.
i visited a caravan park yesterday, so used my i3 to direct me there, it was spot on, i had to drive thorugh the quantox hills, and i must admit, i was expecting the odd signal lose, as some of the hills are pretty high, but nope, it kept a fix all the way through, and got me there with out a single problem.

i like my i3, its the first satnav unit i've ever owned.
so i honestly cant compare it to any other unit, but its perfect me.
banger9365
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive played with the unit and found that it's seems better that my navman icn 520 for routing and the maps are more upto date(got bingle by pass on us v8 maps) , we at work have designated routes for hgv's and it follows them almost the same may be shorter (put you cannot take sertan short cut in a forty footer can you eg 7.5 ton wieght limits ect)
timber
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: Computer Shopper's i3 review (March 2006) Reply with quote

bighassan wrote:
The March edition of "Computer Shopper" carries a review of popular systems including a most unfair one of the StreetPilot i3. I was so annoyed by it that I wrote a letter to the magazine which I now share with all users of this forum. I don't know if they'll print it,
:x

Computer Shopper is a joke :D its little more than adverts cover to cover.
Anyone who actualy uses it to make decisions on computer purchases let alone GPS want their head testing.

I used to recieve this magazine free and i can honestly say it went straight into the bin un-opened.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: