Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - c310
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

c310

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gcb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: c310 Reply with quote

There is a complete lack of reviews for the Garmin C310. The only review I found said it came with a city select disk for Europe but the detail for Ireland was only major roads. This just sounds like rubbish. Even the I3 has Ireland in detail doesnt it?
I thought the I310 map data was same as I3 but it had a disk?
Could someone who has one, explain what it comes with, and in what ways it is better than the I3 if they have any I3 knowledge?
Milkfloat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: C310 Reply with quote

The C310 does not come with City Select. It comes pre-loaded with maps like the i3.
The C310 has a colour touch screen, a larger screen and built in batteries.
Other than that it is pretty much the same as the i3.
Milkfloat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding mapping, it will have exactly the same as the i3. NAVTEQ (the supplier) now offer full coverage for the whole of Ireland (NI and Republic), although I am not sure if this made it into V8 of the maps.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No sat nav system has good coverage of the Irish Republic, there are quite simply no accurate, detailed maps of Eire which are suitable for use by sat nav systems.

As far as I know the latest Navteq coverage is 100% for Northern Ireland but the Republic of Ireland coverage hasn't improved much (40%?) and still only has major roads and major cities, including Dublin, Waterford, Galway etc.
gcb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I read I think the C310 also has the trip computer, which is apparently quite nice.
Anyway, I should be getting a C310 next week to look at so will try and do a full comparative review against I3 which I have had since 3rd September.
AnotherBob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: c310 Reply with quote

gcb wrote:
There is a complete lack of reviews for the Garmin C310.

You can find an in-depth review at this URL....
http://tinyurl.com/ax8z3
I've got a c310, and I don't have any complaints, But I don't need to travel in Eire.
Milkfloat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
No sat nav system has good coverage of the Irish Republic, there are quite simply no accurate, detailed maps of Eire which are suitable for use by sat nav systems.

As far as I know the latest Navteq coverage is 100% for Northern Ireland but the Republic of Ireland coverage hasn't improved much (40%?) and still only has major roads and major cities, including Dublin, Waterford, Galway etc.

Unfortunately you are incorrect. NAVTEQ now has full coverage of the Republic of Ireland. Garmin have just not released it yet.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milkfloat wrote:
Unfortunately you are incorrect. NAVTEQ now has full coverage of the Republic of Ireland. Garmin have just not released it yet.

Really? Can you point me to a Navteq press release announcing the "full coverage" of the Republic of Ireland? I know they have announced that they are working on it but I don't think Navteq have released the map data yet.
Milkfloat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
Milkfloat wrote:

Really? Can you point me to a Navteq press release announcing the "full coverage" of the Republic of Ireland? I know they have announced that they are working on it but I don't think Navteq have released the map data yet.

Sorry for the late reply, I have been on holiday.
I will search for the press release tomorrow at work. I am 100% sure on this because I work for NAVTEQ.
gcb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You can find an in-depth review at this URL....
http://tinyurl.com/ax8z3
I've got a c310, and I don't have any complaints, But I don't need to travel in Eire

This review says it is for c310 but it looks like a c320 with the blue facia to me?

Quote:
City Select V7 for Europe and Ireland
The mapping data for UK does include Ireland, but only in the sense that the main roads are shown (Northern and Southern); but if you do want a GPS particularly for use in Ireland, you will need to look elsewhere. Also in the box is the City Select v7 CD for, "Major Roads of Western Europe". This is the major roads only, but detail is certainly good for a quick tour round Europe, should it take your fancy.

I did not get the City Select v7 CD for "Major Roads of Western Europe" should I have?

P.S.

5.whatever So with a C310 with no map disk if I updated to this beta release then tried to go back I could be really shafted whith no maps. Is that what you are saying?

P.S.S.

C310 / I3 differences now I had both.

The C310 behaves in a similar way to the I3.

The diferences I notice are as follows.

The C310 clearly has more memory and processing power than the I3, refreshing the bigger screen with max detail quicker than the I3 with its small screen which can struggle on max detail. Also try changing language on the I3, takes 2 minutes to load the new language files. C310 takes 1 second.

The C310 has the trip computer, looks nice I supose but no real benefit.

The C310 allows you to browse the map to find a destination. This is useful however the map browsing bit is a bit clunky.

C310 suction mount, this is completely different from I3 with the wires going into the mount then the c310. I had a lot of dificulty reversing the c310 mount to allow the unit to be used on the mounting plate and not the windscreen. The I3 can be mounted on the drivers door quarter light, you could never mount the c310 sideways like this (This is important if you have a windscreen that blocks reception, as if this is the case the I3 can just be mounted on quarter light and work fine, not case with c310)

C310 screen is more reflective to light than I3, however this disadvantage is more than made up for by bigger screen size.

Satalight reception. C310 seems just as good/bad as I3 and the rest.

The C310 is so easy and quick to use. I mean even easier than the I3.

My favourite bit about c310. When navigating, just touch the text at the top of the screen and the map will disapear and a very clear list of turns and junctions will be displayed, allowing you to review your route. Its easy to toggle between map view and the route plan list in this way. Allowing you to reconfirm the c310 is taking you where you think it is. Having a bigger map and this toggle feature which you can easily use while driving is a great benefit over the I3.

You can review your route on an I3 (in theory) but (in practice) while driving I think not. Try and pull over and the I3 will start recalculating, with such a small screen and it being dificult to review the route its very easy to be led the most ridiculous route with the I3 and not realise till its too late.

Concluding I prefer the C310 to the I3 but as you can currently buy a C320 for the same price as a C310, theres no point in not getting the C320. Even if you dont need the Euro maps, its nice to have the CD backup, and be able to save your custom waypoints to computer.
Only thing I dislike about the C310/C320 is the mount, but Tom Tom mount looks even worse.
[/quote]
gcb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other difference between the I3 range and c3xx range.

On my C310 I notice the base maps are not just Europe as on the I3.
The C310 base maps seem to be what the Americans seem to call (EMEA)Europe,Middle East,Africa and Asia Minor.

As on the I3 the base maps are not on the SD card but in the unit itself.

I assume US C3xx will have a different software in that the basemaps will be basemaps for all Americas and units sold in far east will have other basemaps again, those will have Austalasia.
gcb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will go on documenting the undocumented diferences between the I3 and C3xx's

The I3 stores voice files on the SD card, thats why its a slow process changing the voice. The C3xx only store the map data on the SDCard, they do not store the voices or the POIs as the I3 does.

Note also. I3 can come with V7 maps or V8 maps.
C320 comes only with V7 on disk.
C310 comes with City Select NT V7. I can only assume this is similar to the V7 on the I3 in its map detail, but it is somehow diferent in the way it is composed which may help the C310 to calculate routes faster, Dunno? Only uses 150Mb of the 256Mb SDCard. Theres 100Mb free.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: