Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - [i3] Arrival Time Question?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

[i3] Arrival Time Question?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marbar2k
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: [i3] Arrival Time Question? Reply with quote

does the arrival time work off how fast you are going? i read somewhere that it learns you driving style? is this true?

i would be nice if you could change this to your speed. when do you think we will see the next firmware update/
Nickwolf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the arrival time is calculated from the distance you have left to travel and by fixed speeds by road type.

I have found that it is extremely optimistic on the i3 and seems to have speeds set at or near the maximum speed limits for the road types. Since I travel around the midlands most days the motorway speeds are ridiculously optimistic.

The unit cannot learn your speeds, as far as I can tell it does not even keep a track of where you have been.

I agree that if you could set your own speed for each road type it would be a vast improvement and it would also allow you to effectively deselect some types of road for routing purposes, but if we wanted all the bells and whistles we should have spent a few more quid I suppose.

Nick.
Trajet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nickwolf wrote:
The unit cannot learn your speeds, Nick.

When I first started useing my i3 the ETA was very optimistic. However the more I used it the more accurate the ETA was. If I recall correctly, I think it was Skippy that said when he moves his i3 from his motorbike to car (and vice-versa) the ETA will be over or under stated until the i3 settles down again.
Nickwolf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might take an email to Garmin to solve this one for sure, but I am fairly certain it does not learn your speed.

Nick.
marbar2k
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nickwolf wrote:
It might take an email to Garmin to solve this one for sure, but I am fairly certain it does not learn your speed.

Nick.

any offers on emailing?

when do you think we will see the next firmware release?
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trajet wrote:
Skippy that said when he moves his i3 from his motorbike to car (and vice-versa) the ETA will be over or under stated until the i3 settles down again.

Yes, it was me but it's a Quest that I use. I'm pretty sure that the i3 is similar.

The Quest definately does learn the road speeds but it's still very optomistic with it's initial ETA. I wish there was a way to tweak it but I don't know of one.

When you start your trip it will have a guess at your ETA and it adjusts as you drive, according to how much progress you are making. The only way you could achieve it's initial ETA is to be driving in the middle of the night or to have blue lights on!

Some times the ETA is spot on but it is rarely pessimistic. In general, the ETA is a best case scenario. In town, it doesn't seem to take into account that you have to stop at traffic lights, you might hit a traffic jam or that you might do less than 70 MPH on the motorway.

The sat nav has a difficult job to calculate an ETA. Imagine you are driving along 65 miles of motorway. Logic says that this is going to dictate that it will take you about 1 hour. However, you may hit queueing traffic and your speed will drop to 30 MPH or you may cruise at 70 MPH.

There have been a few times when the ETA was dead on from the start of the journey though. You never quite know when to trust it though.
Nickwolf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emailed Garmin and they sent me the following:

The unit will take the speed you are driver but if it has not 100% signal will not have the speed you are driver.

I have no idea what they mean but I thought someone else may have a gobbledegook translator. Laughing

Nick.
ride4smilesjonny
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would translate as they havent got a clue so ho-hum diddly um!!

i keep telling her i cant 'GET LOST' - i got an i3! Laughing 8O
noelmg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nickwolf wrote:

I have found that it is extremely optimistic on the i3 and seems to have speeds set at or near the maximum speed limits for the road types. Since I travel around the midlands most days the motorway speeds are ridiculously optimistic.

Never had a problem with this, in fact I find it's more pessimistic. It tells me I will get there one time, and driving at a steady 70mph saves about 10 minutes off the ETA over a 2-3 hour drive.

Getting stuck in traffic obviously adds more time on, but it is bound to anyway. At a steady 70mph I saved 10 minutes on a trip to London the other week, I guess it must base motorway speeds on 60mph?

One thing I do find is that if I get caught in traffic in Nav mode, I can take a shortcut I know about and after the unit recalculates it shaves time off the original ETA!
alan_t
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been within a few minutes of home, and nearly everytime it sates i have atleast 18minutes till i reach my destination.
so for me, i does'nt work, or totally useless.
i'd rather have the actual speed there im travelling at instead.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Nuvi ETA Reply with quote

I use the Garmin Nuvi, and while I don't know if it "learns" your average driving speeds, but recently it's been within a minute or two for the whole journey, even on 1-2 hour journeys, which isn't bad

One of two things, either my speed is starting to control the Nuvi's ETA or (perhaps more likely) the Nuvi is starting to take over my driving!!!
Nickwolf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan_t wrote:
i'd rather have the actual speed

Either that or the distance left to travel.

Nick.
Trajet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Nuvi ETA Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
the Nuvi is starting to take over my driving!!!

Can I borrow it?.......I could do with something taking over my driving!! :D
alan_t
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nickwolf wrote:
alan_t wrote:
i'd rather have the actual speed

Either that or the distance left to travel.

Nick.

yes, that would be a great feature also.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: