Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin i3, driving on the right
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin i3, driving on the right
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kraken
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Garmin i3, driving on the right Reply with quote

A fairly stupid question this I know, but does the i3 know the "driving side" for each country in it's map database.

I know the default maps extend to Northern France, so will it route you on the correct side of the round, and around roundbouts the correct (anti-clockwise) way, if you're in France?
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when loaded with usa maps ,the i3 does route on the 'other' side of the road and remembering that geckogirl loaded euro maps onto it ,she had no problems...
Milkfloat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, driving side is part of the data from NAVTEQ. You would have a lot of problems with dual carraigeways and roundabouts other wise.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Garmin i3, driving on the right Reply with quote

Kraken wrote:
A fairly stupid question this I know, but does the i3 know the "driving side" for each country in it's map database.

Yes it does. The only quirk is that if you ever use it in Australia or New Zealand then you actually have to turn the unit upside down for it to give the correct directions. Wink
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin i3, driving on the right Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:

Yes it does. The only quirk is that if you ever use it in Australia or New Zealand then you actually have to turn the unit upside down for it to give the correct directions. Wink

hehehe!!!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, driving side is part of the data from NAVTEQ. You would have a lot of problems with dual carraigeways and roundabouts other wise.

Not always, apparently.... http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=33644&highlight=[/quote]
Kraken
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all.

I actually specified a point in Northern France as a destination yesterday, and reviewed the turns. Those in France were correctly routed on the other side of the road, and roundabouts were anti-clockwise.

Now just have to sit and wait for Garmin to release the v8 France transflash.
Milkfloat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:

Not always, apparently.... http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=33644&highlight=
[/quote]

I have just looked at the data that was supplied for V7 Mapping and can confirm that the mapping is 100% correct for the roundabout at Chipstead Lane. I guess your unit must have had a goofy moment.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have just looked at the data that was supplied for V7 Mapping and can confirm that the mapping is 100% correct for the roundabout at Chipstead Lane. I guess your unit must have had a goofy moment.

I have the v8 maps. It does it every time at that roundabout. I've done 3 route that go via the roundabout and it does it everytime.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
I have the v8 maps. It does it every time at that roundabout. I've done 3 route that go via the roundabout and it does it everytime.

Sounds like a mapping error. Roundabouts are basically one way roads and they have set the direction wrongly for this particular one.

Likewise, for driving on the other side of the road it makes little difference to the sat nav. A left and right turn are still the same. Roundabouts rotate in the opposite direction which is simple enough too. Dual carriageways are marked as one-way roads, so it won't route you the wrong way down one.
Eagle747
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:

I hope you weren't following the directions in an anti-clockwise direction on all 3 occasions!
Could we sue Garmin if there was an accident as a result of being guided the wrong way round a roundabout? Wink
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagle747 wrote:
Could we sue Garmin if there was an accident as a result of being guided the wrong way round a roundabout? Wink

Only if you were an American, in other countries the judge would just laugh at you... Wink

I think they need to change the warning at power on to say "If the GPS told you to jump off a cliff, would you?"

There was a case in Holland where a bloke drove into the sea because the GPS failed to tell him to stop and board the ferry. Rolling Eyes
Eagle747
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
Eagle747 wrote:

Only if you were an American, in other countries the judge would just laugh at you... Wink

I think they need to change the warning at power on to say "If the GPS told you to jump off a cliff, would you?"

There was a case in Holland where a bloke drove into the sea because the GPS failed to tell him to stop and board the ferry. Rolling Eyes

Laughing @if the GPS told you to jump off a cliff.... Don't try this at home I guess! I noticed it tells you to board the Torpoint ferry - but doesn't tell you to get off - this would result in ending up back where you started, but only for quite stupid people! Maybe the warning should read 'Not for use by very stupid people'! :D Of course I'm not including any one here.... Wink
Milkfloat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:

Sounds like a mapping error. Roundabouts are basically one way roads and they have set the direction wrongly for this particular one.

As I said, the mapping supplied to Garmin has the roundabout coded correctly. It has both the one way, and the roundabout coding applied. I have looked at the last 7 releases of data (spanning 2 years) and it has been correct each time.
Milkfloat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:

Likewise, for driving on the other side of the road it makes little difference to the sat nav. A left and right turn are still the same. Roundabouts rotate in the opposite direction which is simple enough too. Dual carriageways are marked as one-way roads, so it won't route you the wrong way down one.

Actually it makes a huge difference. Imagine a single carriageway road with a small concrete block down the middle, how could you do a left turn if you were driving on the right? There are numerous examples like this.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: