Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - garmin 3i rip off
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

garmin 3i rip off
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BERT_UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The i3 is Garmin's basic streetpilot and so to save costs on Garmin's side they are only packaging one map area with the i3. This is also to differentiate between the models offered by Garmin and not undercut themselves.

If the i3 shipped with European maps (or the maps were very cheap to purchase) then there would be a smaller incentive for people to buy the more fully featured GPS units.

This sort of pricing happens a lot with all types of products. Buying the cheapest unit may not be the most cost effective if you are going to want more out of it.

To be fair I think most people will use the i3 99% of the time within their own country. If you're a seasoned traveller then you should surely realise that more homework might be needed on your purchase as you'll be demanding a lot more out of your GPS device than most.
Aitch2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tsk! It's called 'Capitalism' folks - Razors + blades, Skyboxes + channel packages, SatNavs + maps, cross-sell, up-sell, you get the picture... Wink

Aitch
stuart777
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: garmin 3i rip off Reply with quote

stuart777 wrote:
:x Dissapointed that the con to buy a nice handy size sat nav then to be ripped of with the software nice one garmin

Nice to see the responses back on this issue what they also dont explain is once you buy the software to up the overlay they dont explain the chip needs to be replaced to accomadate, another hundred quid or more nice move garmin 8O
Fenris
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: garmin 3i rip off Reply with quote

stuart777 wrote:
stuart777 wrote:
:x Dissapointed that the con to buy a nice handy size sat nav then to be ripped of with the software nice one garmin

Nice to see the responses back on this issue what they also dont explain is once you buy the software to up the overlay they dont explain the chip needs to be replaced to accomadate, another hundred quid or more nice move garmin 8O

Sorry, please can you explain more? Chip? Do you mean the microSD (Transflash) card with the maps on? That is what the maps come on I would expect, or are you saying that they are supplied on a DVD and you need to load them yourself? I suspect not because the SD card contains a protected area that allows the i3 to decrypt the maps that are loaded on it in encrypted form.

Have you documented evidence of your claims? From the Garmin web site perhaps?

Brian
stuart777
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to chip hi there
The flash card that comes with the unit if you req to upgrade to the europe maping system and purchase before checking out the capacity of the existing card .what they dont explain till you have spent your money is that you have to purchase a larger flash card to accomodate.
Nickwolf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But did they, at any point, say that the set up they sold you would be capable of upgrading to European mapping?

If not no one has conned you IMHO.

Nick.
Milkfloat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuart, Not being funny, but you are talking absolute balderdash. You have bought a Navigation system for under a £100 that covers all of the UK. Try buying a street atlas that covers the whole of the UK, it would run into thousands for each individual one and you still would not have every street. If you want full European mapping, buy the C320 or C330, if you want one region buy and i3 or C310.

If you have a Nav System in you car, it will cost you more for an update, this is on top of the thousand pounds or so you paid for the system in the first place.

I suggest you take your i3 back to the shop if you are not happy with it, let someone else who will appreciate it and not say they have been ripped off have it.
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milkfloat wrote:
I suggest you take your i3 back to the shop if you are not happy with it, let someone else who will appreciate it and not say they have been ripped off have it.
Clap
Horses for courses - at £169 the i3 was a bargain, at £99 it's a steal.

If you've been sold an i3 under false pretences, take it back for a refund.
Aitch2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember the Cardinal Rule: By and large, you get what you pay for! Rolling Eyes

I agree with the posting above - you paid for a cheap, entry level, UK mapping SatNav...and you got it! 8)

Aitch
Fenris
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuart777 wrote:
to chip hi there
The flash card that comes with the unit if you req to upgrade to the europe maping system and purchase before checking out the capacity of the existing card .what they dont explain till you have spent your money is that you have to purchase a larger flash card to accomodate.

The UK i3 comes with a 256M card as against the US version which claims (on the web site) to be supplied with a 128M card. So we actually get a larger card anyway.

With the aid of a card reader you can temporarily remove and archive the maps files so that European maps will fit on, you then have to reverse the process to put them back. They copy just like standard files, the decryption is handled by keys in a part of the card you cannot access.

Having owner various Garmin kit since 1998, I'll tell you that the i3 is a good piece of kit and the price is more than reasonable even at 200 GBP, at less than 100 GBP it's astonishing.

Brian
alchemista
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand. I just bought an i3 and it came with the City Navigator v8 maps and it appears to have all of Europe on it. Did I just get lucky, or are you saying that this isn't the real Europe maps?
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alchemista wrote:
it appears to have all of Europe on it .... are you saying that this isn't the real Europe maps?

I think it's just the major roads in Europe. Try zooming right in on a city that you know. I think you will find that it shows the equivilent of motorways and "A" roads but no street level detail.

You can probably navigate from city to city using these major roads but it won't take you from door to door along minor roads and residential streets like it does in the UK.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: