Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Killing on Ebay
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Killing on Ebay
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ps73uk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't worry to much to be honest if they are version 7 or 8, there dont seem to be any difference on the maps anyway (i have heard it said it's mainly just be Northern Ireland/ Ireland thats seen the most updating?), One thing version 8 maps do add though is a new "Bank/ ATM" poi option, could be useful. Smile
Paul
Tubal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Result. Got 2 for £99 each. Version 8. One is a birthday present so they can get the V7 and I will keep a V8 for myself. Love these little beauties, never evn let me down in the States.
iandee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tubal wrote:
Ye-hay. Found a Somerfield with 2 Units left so my friends will not be dissapointed (although I might check if they are V8 before I hand them over, ha ha).

another leaning curve! Sad
Iassume v8 is the latest version/model. What bells and whistles does it have that the others dont! :D
iandee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tubal wrote:
Result. Got 2 for £99 each. Version 8. One is a birthday present so they can get the V7 and I will keep a V8 for myself. Love these little beauties, never evn let me down in the States.

Is that the Somerfield supermarket??!!
Did not know they sold stuff like that
Aitch2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

v8 refers to the version of the onboard Navteq maps. Most users are unlikely to notice that much of a difference, unless you habitually use a newish road somewhere. Allegedy, the majority of the revisions were for Northern Ireland(?)

There are persistant rumours of current v7 users being offered a free upgrade (presumably via CD?) sometime 'early this year'.

All the latest bargain Somerfield / Kwiksave models appear to be v8's.

The unit hardware itself is unchanged. The latest i3 firmware is v2.70 - which can be updated over the web, using the Garmin webupdator app (which needs itself to be downloaded and installed from the Garmin website first off...)

Aitch
Montala
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iandee wrote:
Is that the Somerfield supermarket??!!
Did not know they sold stuff like that

It is indeed. I too was quite surprised to learn that even some of their smaller branches have had them in stock, although I don't think that there are many still around now.

A search on their website (www.somerfield.com) will give you the addresses (and 'phone numbers) of all their local stores.
Spenk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not many left now. My local Somerfield (small shop) had at least half a dozen when I looked last week. These were in a cabinet where it would be hard to see them (i.e. if you weren't specifically looking for them you probably wouldn't have seen them). This week when I looked they were all gone! I presume word from this forum has got round :D I phoned my mate last week and he managed to get one from his local store near Kings Lynn Wink
georgemac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got 2 from our local somerfields last night, one for me and one for my father-in-law.

How do I know if it is v7 or v8? They will mainly be for UK use so not too bothered about European mapping, although the menu gives an option to look for addresses in Belgium, France, Isle of Man, Holland, Norway?

Also, we sometimes holiday in Florida - would I need to buy the US maps on a transflash card to use it across there?

I have already updated both units to 2.70 and added the speed camera's from this site - very easy and straightforward (after removing the first line in the .csv files)
alan_t
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

georgemac wrote:
I got 2 from our local somerfields last night, one for me and one for my father-in-law.

How do I know if it is v7 or v8? They will mainly be for UK use so not too bothered about European mapping, although the menu gives an option to look for addresses in Belgium, France, Isle of Man, Holland, Norway?

Also, we sometimes holiday in Florida - would I need to buy the US maps on a transflash card to use it across there?

I have already updated both units to 2.70 and added the speed camera's from this site - very easy and straightforward (after removing the first line in the .csv files)

go into settings.....select map....then select map source.
georgemac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

City Navigator Europe NT+ v8 is the mapsource information
iandee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

georgemac wrote:

Well done, I've looked at ouir local Somerfields in Rayleigh Esex today and not one in sight.
Anyone seen any lately? I would be over the moon - without the aid of GPS to get one at that price and any help would be appreciated
Montala
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iandee wrote:
Well done, I've looked at ouir local Somerfields in Rayleigh Esex today and not one in sight.
Anyone seen any lately? I would be over the moon - without the aid of GPS to get one at that price and any help would be appreciated

As I mentioned above, your best bet is to get a list of all their local branches off their website (try Kwiksave as well) and then start 'phoning round. I found one this way, and asked them to put it aside for me, which they were more than happy to do.
iandee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As I mentioned above, your best bet is to get a list of all their local branches off their website (try Kwiksave as well) and then start 'phoning round. I found one this way, and asked them to put it aside for me, which they were more than happy to do.

will do, thanks
Somerleaze
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iandee wrote:
Aitch2 wrote:
Excellent entry-level GPS, yes. For £99 (if you can still find - it's a no-brainer...) 8)

Aitch

gettinh the hand of it.
I see on ebay now about £100-£110.
Looking at the main Garvin web site I note the screen is only about 1/2/size of a tom tom.
any probs with this for us old folk?

No problems with it myself and I am 66. I can read it on the windscreen of my Kangoo. Wouldn't be without it now. Cost me £199 plus £19 for an aerial. The Renault's reflective screen cut a lot of the signal but there is a gap at the top near the rearview mirror and I've put the aerial there and run the cable round the screen edge.
birdman41
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: happy new user Reply with quote

Thanks for great forum. Took plunge on sat and got i3.
WOW - 5 mins after opening box set off from Cambridge to friends new house deep in residentual maze off East London. Perfect signal, route and directions all the way! No problem with heated windscreen very easy to take out and put in your pocket.
Question - have Garmin made a mistake because why would you need to buy a more expensive model - except perhaps the Europe map thing.
Where is the cheapest anyone has seen them in stock recently? because if I can find one for less than 170 within 30 days Staples will refund me the difference - but good value even at 170. :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: