Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - European Maps - Garmin reply
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

European Maps - Garmin reply

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jegui
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: European Maps - Garmin reply Reply with quote

Hello everybody,

I have been following this forum for the past 2-3 weeks in order to get the most out of my newly purchase StreetPilot i3. I am specially interested in European mapsource threads since I plan to use this device all over Europe where I travel a lot.

I am publishing the official reply from the Garmin customer support regarding this issue. As you can see european source data will be available in chunks of £90.00 each... totalling a staggering £630.00 for the 7 extra regions. The worst thing is that they don't want European customers to purchase a much cheaper solution (£160.00) sold in the US... not fair!!! read on!!

Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe.

If you were to purchase City Navigator Europe you can use it with a
StreetPilot i3 and load maps onto a blank Micro SD card.

Please note City Navigator Europe is not sold in Europe as a stand
alone
product. Garmin units which require this CD are sold bundled with the
CD.

The StreetPilot i3 is designed to be used with the pre-programmed
MicroSD
cards.

In the near future you will be able to purchase pre programmed cards
for
Europe. Europe will be separated into 8 regions. We hope for these to
be
available around February time. The RRP for these cards are £90.08.
These
cards will be available from most Garmin Automotive dealers.

Uk & Ireland
The Nordics: Finland, Sweden, Norway and Denmark
Benelux, including part of France( Paris included) and part of the
German
border territories
France and Corsica
Italy including Corsica and some border territories
Switzerland and Austria, also including some South German, North
Italians
and South-East French territories
Germany and Czech Republic
Spain and Portugal including Andorra and some territories in the Canary
Islands
Mr_Gonzales
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to make friends with someone who got the software with their GPS, who has those two unlock codes!

And get a blank mini SD card or two.
GeckoGirl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't take any notice of Garmin - you can get the City Select Europe CD in the UK (covers all those areas listed) for £160 inc vat

It comes as part of the car navigation kit for different Garmin models, such as this one:
http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/garmin-auto-navigation-kit-europe-for-76ccs-description.html

and ships with the unlock code, so you just need to install it on your PC, buy a spare card, and you're away.

It's less than buying 2 pre-loaded cards and you'd still have cash left over for a blank transflash card to load the maps you want on to.

If you get the largest transflash card available, you can load more than one area on the card, so if you are travelling across Europe rather than staying in one country you don't need to change the card when you get to the border. MyMemory.co.uk do a 1gb card for £37.

When I bought my card the largest available was 256mb, but I can get France, Benelux and Corsica on it all together, along with border territory - Garmin split these over two cards. It's much more flexible if you regularly drive in Europe as you can choose exactly which bits you load on the card for the journey you are making. So should you wish to drive from Calais to Prague Laughing you can just put those bits of Europe on the card that suit you, rather than having to buy two or three individual cards to navigate you there.

Much more cost effective to buy than if you need more than one of the pre-loaded cards. I did this months ago, and it works perfectly - plus you can pre-route using the software on your PC. Marvellous.
Tubal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1Gb transflash cards are not available until march and if you try to order one you will probably get a "Not in stock. Delivery expected soon, or in March" I have got my name down for one already at Mymemory.co.uk
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr_Gonzales wrote:
Time to make friends with someone who got the software with their GPS, who has those two unlock codes!

And get a blank mini SD card or two.

But that would go against the licence agreement which stipulates that you must own both devices if you use the second unlock code.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: