Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Woolies and Garmin i3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Woolies and Garmin i3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
devon-surfer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres the link to the correct page

http://www.woolworths.co.uk/ww_p2/product/index.jhtml?pid=50502165
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devon-surfer wrote:

£99 in store in Somerfield mate.
tomthompson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you bought 2 years ago then you would have bought at the current price at that time

With ramped up production as the gps's have become more popular come cost savings in production and i3 which use cut down software from other units the savings are even more .

It always cost more to be ahead of the game in popularity but just think how much more use you have had out of it.

Mine has saved my licence and got me round the country to places I didnt even know existed ,so the outlay has been justified and in fact I have just bought one of the more expensive units the 2720 to replace my now defunct Ipaq 3970 and I am amazed at how good the 2720 is ,every time I think it would be nice if it... then I find it can !

CoPilot

I keep on learning but they invent new things faster ,How do I keep up ?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

It states "This product is not currently available. "
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almahadeus wrote:
Just shows how massive the profit margin for these things is. People who bought GPS a couple of years ago (including myself) were totally ripped off.

For what? The GPS or the maps? I wonder how much of the cost is down to the mapping license. With the explosion in GPS use I would guess that this cost has come down dramatically.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almahadeus wrote:
Skippy wrote:
£99 ? How low can the price go? 8O

Just shows how massive the profit margin for these things is. People who bought GPS a couple of years ago (including myself) were totally ripped off.

The price at the time suited you - so where the rip off?

Shops make big money on products like Sat Nav and TVs, but they make up for the products they don't make big profits on.

The fact an item has a high mark up doesn't mean the directors of that company are all lighting cigars with bundles of fifties. It's just the market dictates they can charge that much for the product. Sometimes the manufacturers will insist on lowest price they can be sold at to avoid their product looking cheap.

If you had invented a product and where selling it would you

a) sell it for a price that brings in a small but comfortable profit
or
b) sell it for the price that the market will allow even if it's at 1000% profit?
Lunker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to say thanks guys.

I've just been to my local Somerfield store (Stourbridge which still has 5 left) and picked up an i3. :D

£99.99 and it has v8 maps I'm well chuffed.

I'm off now to run through the stickies to put all the speed cameras and stuff on to it.
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Almahadeus wrote:
Skippy wrote:
£99 ? How low can the price go? 8O

The price at the time suited you - so where the rip off?

Shops make big money on products like Sat Nav and TVs, but they make up for the products they don't make big profits on.

The fact an item has a high mark up doesn't mean the directors of that company are all lighting cigars with bundles of fifties. It's just the market dictates they can charge that much for the product. Sometimes the manufacturers will insist on lowest price they can be sold at to avoid their product looking cheap.

If you had invented a product and where selling it would you

a) sell it for a price that brings in a small but comfortable profit
or
b) sell it for the price that the market will allow even if it's at 1000% profit?

So people who bought the i3 for £200 only a couple of months ago should now be p***ing in their pants from happiness according to you.
skacrazy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Streetpilot i3 £92.99 Reply with quote

Got mine yesterday from Staples. A mate rang to say Somerfield were doing the i3 for £99.99. Staples do a price match +10% off. Couldn't resist at this price.

As long as there is a Somerfield nearby with at least 1 in stock Staples will match the price and give an extra 10% off..
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So people who bought the i3 for £200 only a couple of months ago should now be p***ing in their pants from happiness according to you.

No, i didn't say that, did i?

You said "People who bought GPS a couple of years ago (including myself) were totally ripped off." Note "a couple of YEARS ago".

I was referring to that comment. Nothing to do with the fact prices have dropped dramatically in the last couple of months. Don't forget it was the run up to Xmas and the New Year Sales when retail over the last 12 months has been decidedly poor. Of course prices were going to get "competitive". What did you expect?

I bought one when the price was in the £150 region. Am i p***ed off they are £99 now? Personally, no. I bought it at a time when the price suited me and I'm happy with my purchase.

If you are always going to hang about for the best price for technology then you'll never buy it. That goes for PCs, plasma TVs, DVD recorders and GPS units. Technology prices are by far and away the fastest moving on the retail market. The best way to buy is to decide at what price point you will buy and wait for the prices to come down. If the prices go down even further whats the point in getting p***ed off about it? You were happy when you bought it!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in september when i got my i3 it was £199. that was incredibly cheap for a gps unit at that time. hence i bought it. it's been a life-saver - the mrs can't read a map for toffee so has got her all over when driving round places to show off our (then new) son.

i'm a bit gutted that it's now £99 but having said that we've had a hell of a lot of use from it since september!

as someone previously mentioned too, my first dvd player cost me £110 - that was for a really cheap opne - you can now pick them up for £25 that will play anything from dvd's to xvid's Smile bummer, but these things happen!

MaFt
Mr_Gonzales
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite paying closer to £200 for mine, the new price is good - if mine ever gets busted it'll be cheaper to replace. And when they were £200 they were still cheaper than anything else on the market. If they were £200 still, they'd still be a valid choice for most people. Saving £100 would have been nice, waiting several months hoping for the price to drop, whilst doing without a GPS would not have been nice. You made the right/best decision for you at the time you bought it and that's what matters.
thedugschucks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Garmin i3, days NOT numbered Reply with quote

This is the content of an email I received from Garmin technical support:-

There are no plans to discontinue the i3, this is still a new unit and very popular so no need to worry there. If they manage to convert other POI’s into csv files they should work no problem with the POI uploader we provide, so that sounds like a good idea.

If you have v7 of the mapping you will be entitled to a free upgrade to v8 when it becomes available (unless you purchased your i3 recently which may already have version 8 installed), which should hopefully be in January, however there is no set release date at the moment. I can’t say whether it will contain the new housing estates but the maps are updated annually, so after v8 is released the next update will be 2007.

I hope this helps, I have one and after reading this, decided to find out.

Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

i'm a bit gutted that it's now £99 but having said that we've had a hell of a lot of use from it since september!

MaFt

Do like I did and get a second one for £99 so the price averages out at around £130 (in my case). Money saving at its best. Wink Wink
LCRController
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Woolies and Garmin i3 Reply with quote

Kwik save are also selling them for £99

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: