Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Cases for Streetpilot i3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Cases for Streetpilot i3
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spaceliner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Cases for Streetpilot i3 Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend a case to fit the i3, windscreen mount and possibly the cigarette lighter adaptor?

I have tried a Lowepro D-Res 8S, the i3 was a tight fit and there was no room for the windscreen mount or the cigarette adaptor.

I generally run my i3 on batteries so it is not important to acommodate the cigarette lighter adaptor.

It would be interesting to hear what anyone else has tried. I am keen to try another Lowepro case as these are very good quality but am open to suggestions. 8)
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of people were getting a cheapy digital camera case from Asda which was apparently a perfect fit fot the i3. I my self use an unmarked small digital camera case that I got from Tesco for a couple of pounds which also fits the i3 and the adaptor perfectly.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

£15 camera case from Dixons. Cigarette charger, i3, mount and batteries (not charger)

Visiva Medium http://www.tucano.it/ENG/html_esterno/new_computerbags/frame_computerbags.htm

http://www.rgml.co.uk/productdetails.asp?ProductID=2009&ProcessType=1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000B6OEO6/203-2050817-4453557

http://www.allstuff.co.uk/?page=proddetail&prod=4544

Charger is tied up with the wire tyes from the i3 packaging and placed int he bottom of the bag, the i3 and mount go on top and the batteries in the side pocket. Perfect size.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked at Dixons, not long after I bought my i3.

Sales "assistant" said they didn't have anything. I said "Nothing? Surely any case of roughly the correct size will do?". He said they didn't have anything suitable.

I said, I'll have a look anyway - thinking that either a reasonable size digital camera case, or small camcorder case would do. And sure enough, as I found the cases, I pointed one out, and said "That'll do."

I couldn't understand the perspective of the "assistant" I'd specifically mentioned that any generic case, that my i3 would fit in, would be fine. I hope he got my comments, dripped in sarcasm, as I got the i3 out,with the mount, and charger, and tried them in the case I'd picked up, and said "Perfect. I'll take it."

So as I said, I bought a small-ish camcorder case, cost £9.99, and fits the i3, the window mount next to it, the quick guide, and the charger in the front pocket, and inside the top of the case, there's like a string / net pocket, where a spare set of 2 AA batteries live.

Sure, it doesn't fit the i3 like a glove, but it won't get damaged, holds all the stuff needed, without straining, and is easy to carry about.
Mr_Gonzales
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 'GO' neoprene belt pack years ago and it's just the right size. 'GO' stands are all over the place - in WHSmiths, luggage shops, etc. - all that travel stuff - insect repellants, travel alarm clocks - you know the stands I mean. Think it was a fiver. Holds the i3, the windscreen mount (can hold it while still attached to the i3) and a spare set or two of AA batteries. Plus you can strap it to your waist if you need to.
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr_Gonzales wrote:
I bought a 'GO' neoprene belt pack years ago and it's just the right size. 'GO' stands are all over the place - in WHSmiths, luggage shops, etc. - all that travel stuff - insect repellants, travel alarm clocks - you know the stands I mean.

Phew! For a minute there I thought you meant T*****m Go... Laughing
MattW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: i3 case Reply with quote

First post so hi all!

I'm using a LowePro D-Res 20AW (bought for a long since dead digital camera)
Fits the i3 with mount (still attached) easily and you can just squeeze the 12v power lead in. It also has an internal sleeve which will hold 4 AA batteries.

I'll definitely check out the generic cases at ASDA etc though.

cheers
Matt
Ramases
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using an old drawstring-top soft 35mm SLR lens case. It will hold the i3 and mount or i3 and spare batteries. It cost me nowt as I found it in a box in the house, but these are easy to find for pennies in secondhand camera shops and/or charity shops. I think I may have an eBay money-making opportunity here Laughing
Milkfloat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an old sock for my C310, just to stop it getting scratched. The mount just goes into the glovebox.
shovon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An old sock! Laughing

Thats the best Idea yet. Maybe one of those thick sports socks or bouble layered walking socks.

Thanks for that
Lunker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just got myself a digital camera case from the bargain bin at Curry's.

I was just looking for a case to just fit my i3 with a few batteries. They had a Shark range which were only £4.99 and they had lots of different sizes.
Spaceliner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went into Jessops to try out their camera cases and see what suited my needs best. In the end I went for a Lowepro D-Res 25AW.

It has space for the i3 (still attached to its mount), the cigarette lighter adaptor and a spare set of batteries, With space to spare.

It's perhaps a cm or two too tall but that leaves space for my Minolta Dimage Xt camera should I want to cary that too. (by the way, this camera is tiny)

I would recommend that Lowepro range because, as well as being very good quality, the bottom end of their belt loops are fastened with "velcro" to enable you to quickly and easily attach it to/detach it from your belt as you get in and out of the car.

This option leaves no excuse for not removing the i3 whenever you leave the car.

The AW models also have an elasticated, waterproof jacket that unfolds from under the case to protect your gadgets from the most severe storm! - not essential, but a detail you would not expect to find on any other case.
Beerbellybill999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a nepreme case from Tesco for £3.49 It fits unit plus mount.and a couple of batteries. fits well
jonnybad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Havin read this post, I looked out for a case in Tesco/Dixons/Maplin/Field and Trek/Blacks. Having walked around town with the i3 in my pocket, ready to test some out, the only ones that I fancied were the Lowepro type. I wanted one where I could leave the screen mount on, and put the USB lead in, without the overall case being too bulky. I tried and tested the other Lowepro cases mentioned above, but in the end, a Lowepro LC1N lens case was best for me.
trevf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beerbellybill999 wrote:
I bought a nepreme case from Tesco for £3.49 It fits unit plus mount.and a couple of batteries. fits well
Got one yesterday, works a dream. The "Small" case is the one to go for (it doesn't look big enough but it is!!!). I also brought some Caribena style clips from Wilkinson, I have threaded one of these through the loop on the back of the Camera case (the wrong way - if you see the case you will see why - with the clip opening pointing up), this works as a quick clip to attach to a belt loop.

So... Case £3.49
Clip 69p for 2

Total cost for case £4.18 plus an extra clip!!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: