Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Static Navigation on Globalsat 338 GPSlim 236
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Static Navigation on Globalsat 338 GPSlim 236

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yan_kadis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Static Navigation on Globalsat 338 GPSlim 236 Reply with quote

Hi,

I am doing some research before purchasing a BT GPS receiver for my Axim x51v. I am using TTNav 5.21.

I am interested in the Globalsat BT 338 as it has some very good reviews and has excellent battery life. However I was reading this review http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/bt338.php and it states that in order to use the receiver outside of a vehicle i.e. for walking\pedestrian use you need to turn off Static Navigation and to do this you need some software called SIRFDemo and a Bluetooth enabled PC.

In your experience is this true? Once Static Nav is disabled, does the Globalsat BT 338 work well for pedestrian use?

I am also thinking of the Holux GPSlim 236 (although battery life is considerably less than the BT 338). Does this BT unit have the same issues with turning off Static Nav and will the same SIRFDemo software allow this?

Advice is much appreciated
Yan
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Static Navigation is a feature of the SiRF chipset, so it affects all the receivers based on that chipset.

And yes, once static navigation is switched off, you can use these receivers for hiking, geocaching, or other slow moving sports ;-)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
cyberdude
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what happens if you don't tuen it off and you go walking with it? I just got a slim236 and planned to you it in the car and when walking around a city.

Would I need to turn on static navigation for when used in the car and then turn it off when walking? Sounds like a lot of hassle to me. Confused
yan_kadis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyberdude wrote:
So what happens if you don't tuen it off and you go walking with it? I just got a slim236 and planned to you it in the car and when walking around a city.

Would I need to turn on static navigation for when used in the car and then turn it off when walking? Sounds like a lot of hassle to me. Confused

And, unless I'm mistaken, you need a program like SiRFdemo (http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=25575) to switch SN on\off, which apparantly you need a bluetooth enabled pc to run this program. So what do you do, carry a laptop with you in the car in case you decide to go for a hike!?!?

Are there other alternative programs like WinFast Navigator that run from your mobile device that allow you to switch Static Navigation on your SiRF III device?

Thanks
yan
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a simple utility for doing this without using the laptop (it runs on the PDA) try this link http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=33464 it will work on both 2003SE and WM2005 devices - Mike
yan_kadis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike,

Willl this utility also allow you to put the receiver in SIRF protocol mode, make the Static Navigation change, then shift back to NMEA mode?

Thanks
yan
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you want to put the GPS unit to SiRF mode? - the utility will allow you to switch SN on and off as well as WAAS, if you still want to switch the GPS to SiRF mode use the GPS driver from TomTom vs3 (avail from the downloads section of this site) vs2,06 - Mike
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried this in anger this afternoon on my Exec (WM2005) and it fails to switch the GPSlim236 back to NMEA mode, everything else works fine. Fortunatly I had the XDAIIs with me and used that (WM2003SE) and it was fine alters the setting and switched back to NMEA, so if you are running WM2005 it might be worth loading the GPS driver for TT3 as detailed above to complete the switch back. (couldn't try it this morning as the GPS was discharged) - Mike
yan_kadis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Why do you want to put the GPS unit to SiRF mode? - the utility will allow you to switch SN on and off as well as WAAS, if you still want to switch the GPS to SiRF mode use the GPS driver from TomTom vs3 (avail from the downloads section of this site) vs2,06 - Mike

I got this information from another forum here: http://www.aximsite.com/boards/showthread.php?p=958911#post958911
read post #4 from JakeRich. he implies that to switch the SN you need to be in SiRF mode - is this correct?

Can you also please confirm, will I need to switch the BT receiver with a SiRF chipset to MNEA mode for it to work with TT Nav 5?

So I need 2 utilities: 1) MMSiRF to toggle SN on\off and 2) TT v3 driver to toggle SiRF\MNEA. Is this correct?

Yan
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I experianced earlier today the utility will switch the unit into the correct mode BUT not return it to NMEA mode when operating under WM2005 (on my Exec), the TT3 GPS driver is freely avail and will switch the unit back to the corrrect mode, I used another device to achieve the same as that was easier at the time - Mike
yan_kadis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
From what I experianced earlier today the utility will switch the unit into the correct mode BUT not return it to NMEA mode when operating under WM2005 (on my Exec), the TT3 GPS driver is freely avail and will switch the unit back to the corrrect mode, I used another device to achieve the same as that was easier at the time - Mike

So Mike, just to confirm, you recommend using the TTN v3 driver to toggle SiRF\MNEA mode and NOT the MMSiRF utility? I too am using WM2005.

Do you have to switch to MNEA to use TTN 5 and switch back to SiRF to toggle SN on\off?

Yan
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always have the unit in NMEA mode, as this utility left the device in SiRF mode (but only when using WM2005 on the Exec) I used another driver to pull it back, in basic terms the original utility will force the GPSlim236 into the required mode (SN on or off) but it will not switch the device back to use the NMEA protocol, so you use an additional package to do this as detailed above - the utility works just fine on 2003SE - Remember I only needed this to return the unit to the NMEA protocol not to get there in the first place when using the Exec (2005) on 2003SE it works fine either way - no additional switch required - Mike
dobrenko
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Static Navigation on Globalsat 338 GPSlim 236 Reply with quote

yan_kadis wrote:
Hi,

I am doing some research before purchasing a BT GPS receiver for my Axim x51v. I am using TTNav 5.21.

I am interested in the Globalsat BT 338 as it has some very good reviews and has excellent battery life. However I was reading this review http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/bt338.php and it states that in order to use the receiver outside of a vehicle i.e. for walking\pedestrian use you need to turn off Static Navigation and to do this you need some software called SIRFDemo and a Bluetooth enabled PC.

In your experience is this true? Once Static Nav is disabled, does the Globalsat BT 338 work well for pedestrian use?

I am also thinking of the Holux GPSlim 236 (although battery life is considerably less than the BT 338). Does this BT unit have the same issues with turning off Static Nav and will the same SIRFDemo software allow this?

Advice is much appreciated
Yan

Please see blog on http://dobrenko.blogspot.com/

Hope, this will help
Dimitri
washman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

If you look at the date of this thread it is 3 years old ( 2006 ), so you are a bit late with your help.

Washman

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: