Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newbie questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tarby777
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Newbie questions Reply with quote

Hi all,

I took advantage of the Staples sale and grabbed myself an i3 this week. So far, so good: firmware upgraded, POIs loaded & working well (although whoever did the "attractions" in the POI database clearly has some issues - Bristol Science Centre wasn't in Liverpool last time I checked, and Blackpool beach shouldn't be in the middle of Birmingham!).

Anyway, I digress. This being my first unit, I've got some newbie questions:

1) I know the map lives on the removable card. I presume that the OS is stored in the unit itself. Where is the MapSource software located - the unit or the card?

2) Am I right to assume that without spending some more money, I have no way of getting new roads onto the unit? I visited my gym today, and the road is fairly new and just isn't on the map at all. I'm assuming that the WebUpdater will give me new builds of the OS and possibly even new builds of the MapSource software, but I presume I'm stuck with the current map unless I shell out.

3) If I want to use the unit in the USA, do I just buy the DVD and squirt the relevant map(s) onto a blank card? I'm guessing that it's best not to mess with the card that came with the unit, as I have no way of getting the UK map back if I delete it.

4) Is it just me, or is the "shop" part of Garmin's website a bit bonkers? It seems impossible to buy things such as the MapSource City Select North America v7 DVD...

TIA
Tarby
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to the forum tarby...

1.the map is on the card and the os is in the i3...mapsource is a garmin commercial program that can be brought seperately...

2.the only way to upgarde your map is to buy the latest version (when available)

3.for usa travel,you need to download city select usa or metroguide v4.01 onto a BLANK transflash card

4.garmins pricing is weird and not fair to us in the uk..in the usa city select is cheaper than the equivilent european version here in the uk
francisc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Neither the unit nor the card. Map Source is the software needed to display the maps on a PC. When installed on a PC you can view maps, search routes, establish waypoints and so on.

2) Yes and no.
Nobody knows yet if the upcoming update is for free or not.

3) Yes you are right. Do not mess with the original card. It is irreplaceable unless you have City Select Europe unlocked for you unit.

4) Quote from GARMIN's Online Store FAQs: "Currently, we ship online purchases only to addresses in the continental United States, Alaska, and Hawaii."
In UK you have dealers you can buy maps from. See http://www.garmin.com/cgi-bin/dealers.pl?country=United+Kingdom&dealer_type=All&SUBMIT2=Show+Dealers+for+this+Country
However, you won't be able to buy European maps. (stupid, huh? Garmin policy!) 8O
windy1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I travel to Australia, USA and Germany. The maps are going to be expensive but put that on one side for the moment. Can anyone clarify the unlock business for the i3?.

Assuming I buy the CD/DVD/download from Garmin AND I load it onto a new 256 transflash, do I still need an unlock code from Garmin ?. If I do, what is the procedure to get one?

Suppose I travel to USA, buy a Garmin map product over the counter there, use my friends pc to load it onto a new transflash card - will I wish I had got the unlock code before I left UK because there will be a corresponding code on my newly-purchased USA map CD/DVD which I have to get first?

Ditto for OZ and Germany.

Sorry to be picky but can we hear step by step from some travellers who have gone through the process?
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windy..somewhere on this forum theres a post by geckogirl (use search) who loaded city select europe onto a blank card and it worked in italy..i gather she unlocked the software using the i3's serial number..also theres a lot of info on the garmin site re unlocking city select maps..
francisc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is simple enough.
If you buy a Map Source map product together with a unit, in the box you will find a sheet of paper with the 25 characters unlock code for that unit.
If you buy a stand-alone Map Source map product you have an eight digit "coupon code". You need Internet connection to obtain the unlock code.
Go to http://www.garmin.com/unlock/ and follow on screen instructions.

The unlock code is valid for as many PC installs as you like, but the maps sent to the unit will work only in the unit whose unlock code you used. (The unlock codes are generated using the unit's serial/internal ID)
A map can be unlocked for several units, using their respective codes.

GARMIN accepts to deliver two unlock codes for two units you own.

For that, you must register on their site where you obtain a customer ID, and next, using that ID you select the option "Unlock second unit".

BEWARE. Store the 25 character code(s) carefully.
fishmad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a c320, obviously mapsource city selct europe v7 came in the box, I didn't have a 25 character code only an 8 character code??? Should I have had a 25 character code?
fishmad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please ignore the above post, I have since visited the update page on the Garmin website and taken note of the 25 character code.
francisc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to the Map Source mapping software manual:
http://www.garmin.com/manuals/MapSource_MapSourceUsersGuide.pdf

Contains everything you need about unlocking maps.
ShoneyMK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: How to register Streetpilot i3 Reply with quote

When trying to register my i3, the Garmin website is asking for a registration code, this is supposed to be in with the packaging, but there isnt one, I never had the usb drivers disk either !!!! Anyone having problems registering their Garmin i3 ????
francisc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: How to register Streetpilot i3 Reply with quote

ShoneyMK wrote:
When trying to register my i3, the Garmin website is asking for a registration code, this is supposed to be in with the packaging, but there isnt one, I never had the usb drivers disk either !!!! Anyone having problems registering their Garmin i3 ????

See here: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=30487&highlight=register+i3
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie questions Reply with quote

Tarby777 wrote:
(although whoever did the "attractions" in the POI database clearly has some issues - Bristol Science Centre wasn't in Liverpool last time I checked, and Blackpool beach shouldn't be in the middle of Birmingham!)

email me details of the offending items (along with corrections) and i'll get them sorted.

MaFt
ShoneyMK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Registration Reply with quote

I have had a reply from Garmin about how to register my i3. I received a Coupon /Registration code and 25 digit unlock code. Having successfully registered my i3, what's the unlock code for ??? See this mail I rec'd from Garmin........

Thank you, Xxxxx, for completing GARMIN'S registration process. Whenever revisiting the MapSource Unlock pages, please reference your customer code: XXXXXXX.

Information about the region you just unlocked:
-GPS Unit: UNKNOWN
-Serial #: XXXXXXXX
-MapSource Product: City Select Europe NT v7 Deluxe Unlock
-Region: City Select Europe NT v7 Deluxe All, May 05
-Action: Unlock Registration
-CouponCode: XXXXXXX
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Registration Reply with quote

Ok this is wierd. With City Select Europe that came with my Quest, I got a near identical email. The important parts are highlighted in RED.

ShoneyMK wrote:

-MapSource Product: City Select Europe NT v7 Deluxe Unlock
-Region: City Select Europe NT v7 Deluxe All, May 05

It appears to me that this word Deluxe means that you have an unlock code which is valid for ALL of Europe, not just the UK. Certainly, that's what it meant with my old GPS-V when I brought it - there was a standard version with one region unlocked and a "Deluxe" version which included full unlock.

So maybe all you need is the City Select Europe NT v7 CDs and you should be able to unlock it with the key code you have and install any country you want.....

Finding the CD will be the difficult part. I don't know if Garmin sell it.
francisc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me that you registered your copy of City Select and NOT the i3.

The 25 character unlock code if for unlocking the maps of City Select for your unit (after the software is installed on your computer)
RO.A.D 2008 - Romania

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: