Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Street Pilot i3 and heated windscreen
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Street Pilot i3 and heated windscreen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thepotter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Garmin Street Pilot i3 and heated windscreen Reply with quote

I am thinking of purchasing a Garmin Streetpilot i3 but my vehicle has a heated windscreen. Has anyone used this on a vehicle with a heated windscreen? Does it work?
FriendlyBloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From all accounts, you may have intermittent reception at best, and will probably need an atenna..................
shughie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heated windscreens are not the problem, heat REFLECTIVE windscreens are the problem as they contain a metal layer to reflect the heat which also blocks GPS signals.
shughie.
jog_on
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin Street Pilot i3 and heated windscreen Reply with quote

thepotter wrote:
I am thinking of purchasing a Garmin Streetpilot i3 but my vehicle has a heated windscreen. Has anyone used this on a vehicle with a heated windscreen? Does it work?

Hi, I work in the windscreen trade and yes there can be problems with GPS systems and heated screens as well as solar reflective glass. Although it is only a problem on cars made by the Ford group as they have fully heated screens. You can sometimes get around this by mounting unit as near to side edge as possible as the heating elements in glass stop around 4 inches from each side.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a ford puma with fully heated front windscreen. i don't have any problems with reception.

MaFt
overide
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a focus (old shape) with a heated windscreen and I don't have a problem with my i3
jog_on
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin Street Pilot i3 and heated windscreen Reply with quote

jog_on wrote:
thepotter wrote:

Hi, I work in the windscreen trade and yes there can be problems with GPS systems and heated screens as well as solar reflective glass. Although it is only a problem on cars made by the Ford group as they have fully heated screens. You can sometimes get around this by mounting unit as near to side edge as possible as the heating elements in glass stop around 4 inches from each side.

Or maybe i'm thinking of road angels and laser detection problems. Well if you guys don't have problems they must be ok. Sorry Embarassed
thepotter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: garmin street pilot i3 and heated windscreen Reply with quote

Many thanks to all who have replied. I have now purchased my i3 and also managed to get an external antenna from Maplins for just 19.99 - I can't wait to try out my new toy. Thanks again
mr2man
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Heated windscreen Reply with quote

Hi
I use my i3 in my Mondeo which a=has a front heated screen, no problem at all - excellent little thing Laughing
Chris
Mr_Gonzales
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy at work mounted the i3 on the right hand of the screen of a Ka with heated front screen and it was fine.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: