Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Gatso 2: Big Brother Will Be Watching You
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Gatso 2: Big Brother Will Be Watching You
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccsnet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ANPR systems are planned every 400 yards along motorways

How many cameras will this take to cover the whole network !!!

And I've seen these on the M42 - bit over kill IMHO

Terran
Wannabyourhero
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

despite being a very law abiding citizen with nothing to fear I do fear we are letting 'the state' take to itself powers that will in time enable it to control every citizen. We may currently have benign rulers but if 10 years down the road someone less interested in citizens rights comes to powers all he systems are there to rule in a very unpleasant way. As we pay the bills we should be controlling the state - it should not be the other way about. This is going to become a very unpleasant country to live in.
smarty5927
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Why would they be needed every 400 yards ?,

Surely you would only need them on each slip road joining a motorway, or on the motorway just after each slip road.
Northernbloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smarty5927 wrote:
Quote:

Why would they be needed every 400 yards ?,

Surely you would only need them on each slip road joining a motorway, or on the motorway just after each slip road.

Because you might only break the speed limit over a short stretch that cameras at only entry and exit points would therefore miss and deprive Tony & Co of much needed extra revenue
yearnslow
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not suprised at this revalation, and I'm afraid that it is just another manifestation of the absolute paranoia inherent in our society these days.

as far as catching 'criminals' goes, well, you need look no further than the gun legislation a few years back. since the introduction of the ban on self loading weapons and handguns, gun crime has risen out of all proportion, simply because the people who use guns for criminal purposes, don't tend to apply for a license or make themselves accountable.

it will be the same in this case, and us, the law abiding ones with 'nothing to fear' will get the full weight of the 'law' brought to bear on us, while the lawless will carry on as though nothing has changed, because it just won't affect them! and lets face it, we are easier targets.

this is just control for control's sake, and they are doing it because they can.

I don't like it!
smarty5927
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Because you might only break the speed limit over a short stretch that cameras at only entry and exit points would therefore miss and deprive Tony & Co of much needed extra revenue

Ahh, but these aren't speed cameras.

They are designed to recognise number plates so that vehicles being used on the road without mot, tax or insurance can be identified.
UsuallyLost
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smarty5927 wrote:

Not yet !

UL
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Big brother watching Reply with quote

I understood that these cameras started out checking flow of traffic. The number plate recognition feature picks you up as you travel any route. As you pass more cameras the computers work out the last point you passed and build a data base of how traffic is flowing. The systems "could be used" to monitor speed.
I have it on good autority that as the majority of us own mobile phones they can also pair up information and in an exstreme case place you in a particular vehicle. As your mobile phone moves around the signal strength is recorded by mobile networks, not only do they know where you are roughly. But if two or more people are traveling together with phones switched on police can ask for data of similar logging data. So If Mr A travels with MrB and Mrs C all with mobiles switched on, they can get a data base that plots signals of Mr C's phone and then ask for a record from the cells of the providers of phones with a similar profile. They can then know that the phones/people were virtually guaranteed to be together.
I have been told that at least 1 recent muderer was tracked this way and the link to his poor victim was made with mobile phone data long before the police got to him. The poor victim was reported missing and the police asked the phone company for the record of her mobile phone and a record of phones in the area her phone had been in before reported as missing. When the computers threw up a record that matched hers, they then had a phone and person to track.
If that person is driving a car registered to him, they can use camera database to find when and where roughly he travelled to as well as tracing his phone to cells.
In theory this means that if they record where your car goes, that if you travel with a mobile switched on at any time during a journey you can be plotted with a certain degree of accuracy to the vehicles whereabouts!
alFR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I am sure the data will only be used/analysed for crime related incidence."

Hahahahahaha.
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As GPS gets cheaper you can't claim to have "got lost". and with road cameras and mobi in your pocket they can find you and your vehicle or prove where you were.
So we will soon have few police and virtually no crime :-)
No doubt Chairman Tony will have us all fitted wih a GPS tracker system on are heads soon.
Fat_Jez
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mobile phone networks do not automatically log all location updates or signal strengths or the amount of data they need to store would be massive. The only times that a network can say with certainty which cell a customer was using is when they a) location update, b) send/receive and SMS or c) make or receive a phone call.

Now, if the police were taking a "special interest" in a particular customer, they would probably have access to this sort of information, but not otherwise.

Cheers,
Jez
awdriver96
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its ok for pc -mobile in hong Kong to praise this, he doesnt have to live with it. The simple fact is this government is control carazy and wants to dictate every facet of our lives. So the implementation of all these measures is rammed through without thought. There are better and simpler ways to achieve all these things but they dont lead to control or raising revenue. the Americans solved this years ago, you have to buy your number plates each year and the only source of the special aluminium with a trace element and stamp in it are unique and unavailable on the market, all plates are made in the jails by prisoners and issue by the government, no copying and no pay no drive! etc etc. I amseriously considering the emigration route as this country is definitely a less pleasureable place to live in the last ten years. I have always been the one to say its the best place in the world but not now!
druck
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smarty5927 wrote:
Quote:

They are designed to recognise number plates so that vehicles being used on the road without mot, tax or insurance can be identified.

But thats exactly how SPECs camera work at the moment. This will extend them from short sections of road, to every yard of every major road in the country. Even if you sneek off down a back road, you'll still get a letter through the post demanding 60+quid because you were spotted at location A and location B 1 hour later, and they were 71 miles apart, so you must have broken the law.

This cannot be allowed to happen, just as with ID cards it is no longer a free country if you are constantly checked and monitored by the state, allowing them to build up massive databases of every aspect of your life and movements. Sooner or later it will be used against you, especially in ways that are a source of easy revenue for the government.

Cheers
---Dave
mickyricky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Number Plate Recognition Reply with quote

You might be interested to know that the only reason the (suspected) killers of a WPC in my home City of Bradford have been arrested so quickly (if at all) in London is that their car number plate was logged on the number plate recognition computer system currently being trialled in Bradford, and which is already running in London. If there never was another such instance it would already have been proved worthwhile as far as I am concerned.
ticex
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read about this system last week and really find it shocking. I can understand the benefits but the violation of everyday people's privacy is too much in my opinion.

If they truly wanted to clamp down on uninsured drivers the simplest way is the system used abroad for countless years - everybody has to carry original driving license, vehicle registration papers and insurance with them at all times while driving. This means you take a big risk in an uninsured/taxed car as there is always a small chance you will be pulled over or checked for whatever reason. In many countries numberplates can only be issued by the government so this tackles the problem of fake license plates. In my opinion this is a far better solution IF your objective is to tackle drivers without insurance etc..!

Personally, I suspect this system is the start of a big trial for this toll charging system we all keep hearing talk about. I expect in the not too distant future we will all have no option but to drive at exactly the speed limit everywhere and be charged for every mile driven. Having a car is not much fun anymore - well that is unless it is registered in another country!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: