Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nokia N70 tomtom mobile 5 problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nokia N70 tomtom mobile 5 problem
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J_i_m_s_t_e_r
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... Still drops out every 30 seconds or so.

N70 Firware v5.00509.2.0.1
TT 5.200 (443)
GPS Driver 1.20
GB Map v605

A couple of things:

I have all the TT software on a 1GB card which I use for everything else. Does everyone have a separate card for TT?

I tried running it on Sunday for 45 mins with no route planned, just getting TT to show me what road I was on. Worked fine. I don't actually think the link between the phone and GPS is the fault then. It seems once I actually task it with giving me directions to a destination, it falls over and gives the No GPS Device as an error. Perhaps the phone is not up to thinking that hard or there is a delay in bringing the data off the card?

Can anyone currently having grief try and recreate this by just driving without following a route and see if it stays connected longer?
m0nkmaster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Works much better after firmware update and less POIs on map Reply with quote

I'm using my N70 with the official TomTom receiver. I've got the latest TomTom mobile software (5.20).

When I first got my phone I had the version 3 firmware and I found that my phone crashed frequently (every 30 minutes or so). I then went to the Carphone Warehouse in Leeds and got a firmware update (v5). Since then my tomtom is working much much better. The phone no longer crashes at all. I still do get some loss of connection (between the bluetooth receiver and the phone, every 2 hours or so) but by simply going into Config - GPS Status (in tomtom) it re-establishes the connection within a few seconds.

I recently drove to France and whilst I was there tomtom worked perfectly, not one dropped connection (I did around 2,000 miles). This leads me to think that it is the POI's which cause the connection drops/problems as I have speed camera for the UK but not France.

Although in summary, the story for me is get the latest firmware for your N70 and only display the POI's which you really need. You can have as many POI's as you like but the more you display on the moving-map the more likely your phone will loose it's connection to your GPS device.
cornz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: nokia firmware update. Reply with quote

Had my n70 updated to 5.0616.2.0.3. dated 24-04-06
Also, this is nokias firmware, not my service providers. I'll see if i have any joy with this one....Fingers crossed.
J_i_m_s_t_e_r
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I am more or less there now. Ran for 1hr+ with all POI enabled. I think the key for me was renaming the GPS on the phone to "TomTom Wireless GPS". Then restart the phone. I am also running the latest firmware.

Good luck!
DaIceMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my 2 cents:
I've tried 2 BT receivers, a Nemerix Chipset and a Sirfstar III. I have the latest unbranded firmware with latest TT5.2 (443) GPS driver 1.20.

Using the nemerix xhipset BT I get a more stable connection but the signal is lost in dense areas while with the SIFII I never experince signal loss but the BT is less stable (It's an Ichona GPS).

In any case, the only way to get a decent usage was to edit the original POI.DAT file using a program made by an Italian guy. I need to remove all external pois, deleting the completely. Using the POI editor, I removed all unwated pois and imported the speed cameras one putting the in place of Police stations for ex. and the POI.DAT now is only 3.5MBs. This way I still have problems, but at least the GPS reconnects by itself without crashing the BT link completely.

This is the only way I am able to use TT5. I tried deleting pairing, rebooting phone before usage and all other hints with no luck.

My theory goes that the MMC card may be the culprit: the larger the card, the slower the response. When the TT5 app needs to access several files and several "vectors" the latency increases, and this knocks down the BT link (times out). I noticed this as with a smaller card (256MB) I get less problems (but they are still there).

I am using a Sandisk 1GB MMC btw, and I have problems. If there are any of you who are using TT5 with pois enabled successfully, please indicate what size and brand your MMC card is.

L8rz
cornz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, admitedly ive only done a couple of hours with the tomtomn since i updated the phone but so far things are all OK. I had a bit of an issue when the phone battery died as it crippled the gps reciever. Removing the battery from the bt gps resolvrf this issue. I had speed camera poi's enabled and even making a call while tomtom was running proved no real issues. All in all its better then its ever been. Hoping thats the end of it now.
If its worth owt im on a kingston 512 rsmmc card.
Cornz
NatD
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings - have read all pages with interest!

Taking my N70 and GPS receiver out later, have followed basic instructions so hope I should have no problems.

However, I have a slight problem.

I cannot access ANY voices when in tomtom - not the standard voices, or any of the 'celebrity voices' that I have installed.

Can anyone give me any advise / hints / tips please??

Cheers,

Nathan
cornz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the exact same problem. Was a while ago though..
I cant remember exactley but it was something to do with the voices files being in a specific folder. My voices folder is called VOICES and is located in the root of my memory card. (all my tomtom files appear to be in the root).
Inside that folder are files, 2 files per voice by the looks of it.
The voices are in the format of:
DATA00.CHK and DATA00.VIF, then DATA001 and DATA001.VIF all the way to 57.
Hope that helps
DaIceMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, check the VOICES dir in your MMC root. You should have the files there. Each file is a voice - you only need the .chk files, mine worked with just these apparently, but keep both for safety. I believe the data13.chk is the English voice.

The tomtom application is under the system apps dir, which is usually hidden and can only be accessed using a MMC reader. Important dirs are the tomtom app dir just mentioned, the map and the voices directory under the root of the MMC. There is also another TOMTOM dir under the root, but the app works also without this dir apparently.
yus786
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update folks...

I've been using TTM5 on the N70 for over a month now (since the f/w upgrade) and it hasn't crashed on me once.

I have done many many short journeys and loads of long ones too.

My setup:

* I have the BT-77 GPS Receiver (about 18 months old)
* I have tried TT on both 256 and 512 Kingston Mem card
* I pair it first using the phone
* I use the single speed camera file

Regards
DaIceMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your feedback.

I just wanted to add that TT5 has never crashed my phone - all it does is at max crash the BT connection and my Motorola Headset won't reconnect so I have to reboot the phone. Other than that, it just looses the connection (NO GPS) and usually reconnects by itself. If it stays disconnected for say over a minute, it won't reconnect and I have to do it manually by entering the GPS setup in TT5 and simply re-select it.

As I said, I have a Nemerix chipset based GPS and an Ichona SirfstarIII and while the Sirfstar III never looses the fix, the BT connection is lost more often.

I may, due to desperation, try to get a Royaltek GPS, and try that one too...
cornz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, looks like my enthusiasm was short lived, went for a spin yesterday and within 5 miles it locked up, couldnt exit the app, just got the phones background screen with no icons.. Blinkin' flip..... Thought i had the damn thing sussed. Back to the 7610 for me.
martijnroodt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pilchard wrote:
Sadly it looks like this problem is only related to the N70 with "other GPS" hardware.

I got an N70 last month and have been using it with a BT 338 and tomtom5. Its virtually useless, works for about 5-10 minutes then says "no gps device" then the bluetooth connection seems to lock up. etc etc, exactly what you other guys have been describing.

However, just using a bog-standard GPS freeware program that gives positions only (no maps) like "Smartmap" for example - it runs without any probs. I've been playing with tomtom for days now and I'm pretty convinced that its something to do with the tomtom interface and the phones bluetooth settings. Removing the 338 from the N70 bluetooth panel doesn't make much difference.

I've read some other forums on this problem (All about symbian .com) and other N70 users have complained of the exact problem, but only with non-tomtom gps devices, eg BT77 and BT338.

So in conclusion, I am convinced it is a tomtom problem rather than any hardware fault (i.e. none of my equipment is faulty).

Likely remedies would be:

1. Wait for tomtom to rease a patch. (could wait forever)
2. Sell my BT 338 and get the whole tomtom package (ouch)
3. Purchase at another program (Route 66 2005) and try that. I have no idea if R66 will give the same problem, but they do state in that 2005 onwards works on N70. Anyone tried it?
4. Only take journeys that last less than 5 minutes!?!?!?

So I'm still left with what's really an expensive toy rather than a useful tool. Come on now folks - lets not give up!

Route66 v7 S60 works fine on N70 with Adapt 500 GPS. No connection loss at all. I'm indeed confinced that problem is TT.
DaIceMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to add my latest experience with the original TomTom GPS MKII. I bought this GPS in desperation and I must say it works fine 99% of the time with POIs enabled - connection is pretty stable and in a 700km trip it only dropped 3 or 4 times, but it never crashed my N70. Sometimes it reconnected by itself before I could reach the GPS menu.

I think the stability is also due to the type of BT connection and firmware in the GPS - obviously the TomTom GPS which has a Sirfstar III chipset has a more compatible BT firmware and is much more stable.

The connection works whether you select TomTom GPS from the GPS menu or simply other GPS with the pairing setup regularly, it works all the same. I kept the pairing enabled even if I was using TomTom GPS from the setup, it made no difference.

So my Ichona SirIII GPS has a crappy BT hardware, my Nemerix GPS has a better BT hardware but a crappy GPS, while the TomTom seems to be the best choice for the moment!

BTW I could make calls and receive them using my BT Motorola headset while using TT5, only thing that woudln't work was the voice dialling, but it's ok for me (the voice dialling would sort of "pause" and when exiting TT5 it would ask you to speak).

Hope this gave some helpful feedback!
dieseldes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been reading with interest all the problems with Tom Tom and the N70, I am relieved it's not just me!!!!
I only got my N70 4 weeks ago, appear to have the latest? software V3.0546.2.3 . and have a BT GPS which I have used on a laptop succesfully for over a year. replaced an old Trimble sveesix receiver which was also reliable.

I had assumed that it was the drawing of the map of the screen was causing all the problems, in other words the program was too difficult for the N70

I found the only way to get a reliable routing, (haven't tried all of the ideas on this forum..yet) When I set TomTom to the GPS status screen, after a few seconds it recovers the signal and seems to be fairly stable after that. It gives all routing instructions and even warns of speed traps.

This is definately not ideal, no map, too bright for night use, but worked when I needed reliable instructions yesterday in a strange (to me) part of Edinburgh.

Des,

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 22 of 25

Jump to: