Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nokia N70 tomtom mobile 5 problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nokia N70 tomtom mobile 5 problem
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3g
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Ref N70 Reply with quote

I also think the processor is part of the problem as well as the bluetooth.

If the processor is not good enough to handle things it will cause problems with anything else that trys to work. I.E. TomTom, bluetooth and anything else that needs processing power.

All my friends that have an IPAQ with or without a built in gps device with a decent processor have no problems at all.

I am on 3g and i am waiting for a 3g IPAQ with a built in GPS device. There is a good IPAQ on the market with a built in GPS device but sadly it is only 2g.

If anyone hears of a 3g IPAQ on the market please let me know.
rtj70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THe odd thing is TomTom runs on Nokia phones with much slower CPU's than the N70. Maybe TomTom thinks the CPU is capable of much more than it it really? Just a thought.
3g
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Ref N70 Reply with quote

One thing:

New phones are notorious for having problems. The N70 has not been out long. Not sure about the 6680 though.
jon29
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soz to hear about the phone dying rtj70 Sad Let's hope it comes back with the new V5.

My solution...well wasn't really a solution in the 1st place...it's so weird...I thought the N70's tones/sounds could have clashed with TomTom...anyway the phone lost the GPS bluetooth connection a few times just now for me...even after a reboot...it chooses when it wants to work...just randomly!

on-nick - which receiver do you have? Thanks for the method posted, but it didn't work for me... Sad

Yep I've read that TomTom and 3rd party receivers are fine on most Nokia S60 phones bar the faster, more powerful N70. Maybe it's a problem with the OS? Only time will tell.

3g - can't remember, but did you have a BT77? What receiver do you have?

Jon
on-nick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: N70 update Reply with quote

Jon29 sorry did'nt work for you.... I still consider it under test for me, I guess I am waiting for it to fail.

I have the TT GPS Mk2 receiver (the one with the hole as TT themselves call it).

---
Sorry to go a bit off piste, but,

Does anyone have experience of runnig TT from a 3rd party card. I am considering buying a 1Gb card, transfering TT and phone supplied apps to and, and still have space for lost of music...... ?

That will then bring the next limitation into play - battery life, anyone else have that issue ?
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: N70 update Reply with quote

on-nick wrote:
Does anyone have experience of runnig TT from a 3rd party card.
I use a 1GB Kingston card without any problems.
3g
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Ref third party card Reply with quote

I have a 1gb card and run TomTom and everything else from it. In the car you have to have it on charge otherwise the battery dies very quickly.

i like to keep the phone memory free just incase TomTom goes there for its virtual memory and not my 1gb card.
rtj70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Symbian OS has virtual memory but not demand paging/swapping. What's free is free but you cannot swap another process. Manchester Uni intented VM in the 60s by the way.

But more importantly RAM and storage (i.e. storage card) are not the same. You could have 1Gb free on your RS MMC card but no free memory for running applications. Storage cards are for storage only. You still need RAM to run.

And before anyone shoots me down. The storage card is the analogy of a hard drive on a PC. You still need free RAM to run sofware.
contracts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: POI's Reply with quote

Hi All

I have been following all recent threads with interest as I too have suffered all the problems outlined by so many. Having swapped my BT77 for the TT Mk 11 I do seem to have a much more stable system, although not completely faultfree. I must admit though that I am confused about the effect of POI's. All I am really interested in using are the speed camera warnings. Do POI's come as part of a cracked map or are they a seperate software? The reason I ask, is I have just switched from v605 to v632 and don't seem to have speed camera's anymore. Sad Can anyone shed any light on this.
contracts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: GPS Drivers Reply with quote

Forgot to ask in my previous post.

Did anyone ever get to the bottom of the fact that on the TT website - Support it gives a link to the TT Mobile update to v5.2 and shows a screen which states "GPS driver v1.21" However when this update is downloaded, it still remains at v1.20
Despite everything I try I cannot get a driver anywhere above v1.20. Just wondered if that may be the update to overcome this issue. Confused Confused
simon660_1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: TomTom Freezingm on N70 Reply with quote

I use tomtom5.2 on my N70 and generally have no problems at all, I have found however that if I turn the phone off from time to time it keeps everything working as it should.

I also have just change my BT GPS receiver from a Celink BTG 7000 to a Fuzion Silverlink and again Tomtom runs perfect with no problems.

The only issue I have is if I use a BT headset at the same time as tomtom it will sometimes drop the headset and i then have to switch off the phone ane reconnect the headset.

Confused Confused
3g
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Ref N70 Reply with quote

Simon

What ver of sw is on your N70?

Type in *#0000# to see it.
on-nick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contracts,

Speed Camera POI's are available to download from this very site, although I understand they have recently gone on subscription at £2 / month.
There are various sets, the sing file version seems to work best with the N70.
Also, it seems to work best if you disable POI's from the menu, but enable the POI warnings, just for the cameras.

Full instructions on installation come with them, but basically you copy the file (.ov2) into the map directory, and TT finds them automatically.

Also TT sells speed camera POI's for a healthy sum (from their perspective), but they may work better - TT claim so, but I doubt it. Their package is a 12 month sub.

Failing that a quick Google, reveals a number of possible others...
contracts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that on-nick Smile
on-nick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Memory Card Reply with quote

Thanks to all, I can feel a 1Gb card arriving soon...

PS, talking about free memory, my N70 normally runs with 20Mb free internally, up from 19 when it was an Orange Phone.

Taking what rtj70 was saying, is this RAM, or internal storage ?
This could be important, especially as there seems to be a thought that low memory on the phone could contribute to the TT probs ?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 12 of 25

Jump to: