Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nokia N70 tomtom mobile 5 problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nokia N70 tomtom mobile 5 problem
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jon29
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read here somewhere that people have had trouble with this BT77 receiver and other PDA's - which was solved by fully charging the unit, and then later, switch off, pull out the battery and leave for an hour.

Try that...see if it works...and post back.

Jon
ddaddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to this page on tomtom website, the N70 IS supported :-/

http://www.tomtom.com/products/features.php?ID=208&Language=1
on-nick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: N70 Formware Upgrade - Results.... Reply with quote

My Firmware upgrade turned out to be to 3.0546.2.3 in the end...

The result :
- Orange Home screen gone, and Nokia Active standby un place - much better
- Phone is now faster, with more free memory
- TT is now more stable ish, although the BT still drops out from time to time.

This usually only requires a TT restart to re-connect - much faster than a phone re-boot.
This, according to TT is a stable set up as I am now running the minimum firmware they reccommend.

Also, and strangly enough, when TT has dropped out, the phone still thinks it has an active BT conection to the GPRS, so maybe there is an element of TT incompatibility in there .....

In summary, don't be afraid to upgrade the firmware, especially if you are on Orange.
3g
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Ref N70 TomTom and Ver 5.2 for TomTom Reply with quote

Hi

I don't know if it will make a difference but everyone i have spoken with is running TomTom version 5.0 on their N70 phone. 5.2 may improve things. Can't make it any worse.
contracts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jon29 wrote:
I've read here somewhere that people have had trouble with this BT77 receiver and other PDA's - which was solved by fully charging the unit, and then later, switch off, pull out the battery and leave for an hour.

Try that...see if it works...and post back.

Jon

I have tried this but it makes no difference, and to be honest, there seems no logic to it anyway. I know the BT-77 works very well with other models of mobile, including Nokia, along with laptops, so it seems to be related to use on the N70 in particular. That is why I asked if anyone is successfully using the original TomTom gps unit, before I splash out on one.
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the problem is a fault with the N70 itself rather than either the GPS receiver or the TT software. Anyway, mine seems to work reliably now (v3.0546.2.3 18-11-05 RM-84 ) with the TomTom II Receiver. Although I use a BT Handsfree set at the same time as the BT GPS Receiver I always make sure that only 1 BT connection or disconnection is negotiated at the same moment; i.e. first start car and wait for N70 to connect with the BT handsfree kit, then start TomTom Mobile. At destination exit TT Mobile, then turn off ignition to allow Handsfree to disconnect.
3g
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Ref N70 and TomTom Reply with quote

I have noticed that when the 3D map is turned on the TomTom is far more un-reliable.

This points to low processing power as i have 1Gb of RAM. I look forward to IPAQ bringing out a 3G IPAQ with BUILT in GPS.

Once that happens the N70 is on Ebay.
jon29
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 3g,
What receiver do you have? BT77? I'm confused...before you mentioned the V5 firmware fixed everything, but then is unreliable on 3D maps? What about speed camera POI?

Cheers,
Jon
3g
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: TomTom and Version 5 Reply with quote

Hi

I have the BT solar GPS device.

There is such a difference between version 3 and 5 i wrongly assumed it fixed all problems. After driving around 2,000 miles a month i get to test it out quite a lot. I never used a 3D map until the other day. The problems i have come across with version 5 are the following:

1. The TomTom still says no device available but it is not for long. With version 5 i can live those short moments of no device.

2. 3D map does slow it down and the missing device stays missing for longer when it is on. I put this down to a mixture of bluetooth and processing power.

3. I only have the GPS device as a paired device. I found i got more problems. It could have been a coincidence but i am not taking any chances.

4. If you turn on the TomTom before the GPS updates its almanac it freezes. You have to turn TomTom on and off to get it to see the device.

Turn on the GPS device and about 1 minute later turn on the TomTom, then its fine.

5. POI are fine with TomTom.
jon29
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply 3g.
I guess its just a problem with the BT77 - found another thread where they changed the NMEA settings and it worked perfectly. But that was on a PDA...anyone tried it with an N70?

Jon
contracts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jon29 wrote:
Thanks for the reply 3g.
I guess its just a problem with the BT77 - found another thread where they changed the NMEA settings and it worked perfectly. But that was on a PDA...anyone tried it with an N70?

Jon

I currently use the BT-77 and have had all the connection problems. I have just ordered an original TomTom GPS receiver so once it arrives and I test it out thoroughly, I'll post the results here. In the meantime, one other thing I have just tried is to switch off the 3G and revert to GSM as I believe 3G sends out a periodic signal that is used to track the mobiles position. I just thought that it may be this signal that interupts the bluetooth connection. That would explain the random loss of GPS device I encounter. Not entirely certain of this but I'll try anything Idea
jon29
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. What firmware have you got on your N70? Could try 'Offline' too.

Jon
contracts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jon29 wrote:
Cool. What firmware have you got on your N70? Could try 'Offline' too.

Jon

Although it is a new phone, I Had some old version firmware and that crappy Orange software. Had it flashed at a Nokia centre and now have the latest generic version
v3.0546.2.3
18-11-05
RM-84

This did improve things and the phone reacts a little quicker now, but I still have the BT issue.
contracts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well guys, switching off 3G made no difference. The damn thing still doesn't always find the GPS receiver whem TomTom is switched on and requires a phone reboot.
Getting very hacked off now with my new N70 which is a shame because as a phone it's spot on. However, I got it mainly for the TomTom element so I think the final test will be does it still work when recovered from the toilet after several flushes!!!
contracts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Original TomTom BT GPS receiver Reply with quote

OK. I have today received my new original TomTom GPS BT receiver so this is really my last hope Confused I will test it out over the next couple of days and post the results.
One question though to anyone has has one of these TomTom GPS receiver's and that is, do they have auto power off feature when TomTom is switched off on the phone and if so after how long Question

Lets hope the next couple of days leads to Smile Smile Smile Smile all the way and no more :x :x :x :x

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 10 of 25

Jump to: