Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How do I get better reception in London?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I get better reception in London?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Even with an external antenna Reply with quote

GoLeafsGo wrote:
Even with an external antenna, how much better will reception be???

Dunno, how long is a piece of string! 8O

Reception is always difficult when you don't have a good sky view. The external antenna may make the difference between having a fix or no fix.

You will get the best results if you have a good lock on all available satellites before you go into the difficult reception area. A first fix takes a while to obtain but once you have it the reception is much more reliable.

The worst case is that you would have your Quest switched off for > 8 hours and then try and get a first fix from cold while in central London. If this happens then find an area with as much open sky as you can and then switch to the satellite info screen and wait till you have a lock on as many sats as you can. Once it has the lock on a sat, it will reaquire it almost instantly.

The really good (read expensive) in car GPS systems have "dead reckoning" which uses a speed sensor and compass to compensate for when the GPS loses lock.
DPL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Garmin external antenna mounted on the rear of the roof. Whilst I've never gone into central London with the system I've been to many other cities and have only lost signal to date in tunnels. No surprise there, then.
With regard to the installation I've taken the wire through the shutline of the rear hatchback door (but you could take it through the boot, I've got a Focus C-Max) NOT side door - I would not recommend this as the gap around a side door on a modern car is too tight, too complex and the wire would be under constant attack by the door open/close movement - make sure the wire is then stuck down to the drain channel of the rear door and that the wire isn't liable to be chafed by the opening and closing of the door - through the grommet that takes the door electrics into the body of the car and then under the headliner. I've found this is far easier than taking a wire under carpets which tend to be fastened far more rigidly to the floorpan than the headliner is to the roof. The carpet usually accomodates all sorts of other stuff too, like harnesses, heater ducting, seats (!)...and these make the installation even more difficult. You'll find you can ease the headliner away from the roof very easily adjacent to the door seals as it merely tucks behind what's called draught welting at the door top edge. It only tucks behind by about 1/4inch so it's no problem easing it out. You can come down the windscreen pillar behind the trim in the same way. Saves all that tedious carpet lifting and getting the wire down to the floor and then back up to wherever you have your Quest. With the Garmin extension lead there's ample length to achieve what I've just described.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: