Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - i3 Startup error: Please use supplied software to load maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

i3 Startup error: Please use supplied software to load maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
squarepeg77
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: i3 Startup error: Please use supplied software to load maps Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I bought a Garmin i3 on Sunday, but when I switched it on today it displayed an error to the effect of, "Please use the supplied software to load maps for street-level mapping". I didn't receive any such software because the maps are pre-loaded in the UK, right? Has anyone else seen this problem?

I then went into the debug menu and ran the MAP checksum, which failed immediately. Oh dear... a bad flash card perhaps?

I removed and replaced the batteries, switched the unit on and off maybe a dozen times, but the same "please load the maps" error appeared every time and the checksum failed every time I ran it.

I was getting ready to return it to where I bought it, when I switched it on again, "just in case" and the damn thing worked fine! I ran the checksum and it passed. Grr, I hate intermittent problems.

Has anyone had this kind of problem or know a possible cause? Can battery voltage levels be at fault? (I was on my way to work and didn't have a spare set with me, though the battery meter now reads fully green).

Many thanks,
Jonathan
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: i3 Startup error: Please use supplied software to load m Reply with quote

squarepeg77 wrote:
Hi everyone,
I bought a Garmin i3 on Sunday, but when I switched it on today it displayed an error to the effect of, "Please use the supplied software to load maps for street-level mapping". I didn't receive any such software because the maps are pre-loaded in the UK, right? Has anyone else seen this problem?

I then went into the debug menu and ran the MAP checksum, which failed immediately. Oh dear... a bad flash card perhaps?

I removed and replaced the batteries, switched the unit on and off maybe a dozen times, but the same "please load the maps" error appeared every time and the checksum failed every time I ran it.

I was getting ready to return it to where I bought it, when I switched it on again, "just in case" and the damn thing worked fine! I ran the checksum and it passed. Grr, I hate intermittent problems.

Has anyone had this kind of problem or know a possible cause? Can battery voltage levels be at fault? (I was on my way to work and didn't have a spare set with me, though the battery meter now reads fully green).

Many thanks,
Jonathan

This happened to me this morning - just once. This is after using it for my morning commute, and turning it on in the office.

I removed the transflash card, and put it in again, and it was fine.

I'm running v2.70 firmware (updated last night).
Jaz666
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen this on one person's unit - I fiddled around a bit and got things working again, and he hasn't been back since - so I must have cured it.
Arcam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same thing happen to me today, had i3 for about 2 weeks and have played about with it alot both on the road and in the office and had no problems. Updated to V2.70 the other day, used it to get to work and showed it to a work mate in the office and it wouldnt come on Embarassed (felt a right Charlie)
took out the card and switched unit off then on and it worked, wonder if this is a bug in V2.70.
I dont think the unit works as quick using this update and seems sluggish, has anyone else noticed it says recalculating twice sometings, never did this using V2.60.
RODTROTTER
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its a falt with the transflash card or card reader it dos the same thing if you but in a backed up card try taking the card out and puting it back it this seems to fix it

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: