Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - i3 Routing
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

i3 Routing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spaniard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: I3 Routing Reply with quote

I toook mine back today, costing me a fortune in fuel, routed cheadle staffs to Trafford centre, ok up to J19 M6 but then tried to sent me to Knutsford, stockport anywhere but towards the M56
and coming back out towards stockport again
from stoke to cheadle down many very minor roads. Not a patch on Tom Tom I had on my PDA (Now Gone) so I'll save up for a Tom Tom Go300
cheap yes and good to use but useless for efficient routing.Had no freezes though using V2.7
HySeeker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My problem with the cigar lead is the LED is SO bright!

It is not only bright, but it is the wrong way round, with Garmin atached it is red (= problem). Disconnect the Garmin, and the power unit LED goes Green (=okay). I keep plannign to either unsolder the LED and turn it around, or maybe I'll just put some tape over it :-)
HySeeker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the topic of strange routing; I went to Sheffield from Surrey last week, the i3 routed me up the M1 and off at J33. All fine and sensible. However, two weeks ago when I to the same waypoint but started from Nottingham, it took me on the M1 still, but off much earlier at Chesterfield. Question

I guess that the search algorithm could look at more local variations on the shorter route, and found the (quicker?) cross-country route.
Tubal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will never complain about the routing again after seeing "Top Gear" last night. RAC website gave a route via Ireland and France because a user asked to avoid the M5, ha ha
BERT_UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tubal wrote:
Will never complain about the routing again after seeing "Top Gear" last night. RAC website gave a route via Ireland and France because a user asked to avoid the M5, ha ha

Yes, I saw this and it reminded me of Microsoft's beta routing website. There was quite a lot of bizarre routes - even involving using "local roads" to drive across the sea between some countries. :D

I know our products should work 100% of the time, but unfortunately we live in an imperfect world and errors will ocur. This is unfortunate and ideally shouldn't happen but I shudder to even comprehend the sheer amount of data required to plan a route. It initally seems a fairly simple idea but to take into account the sheer number of paths a route could take and the amount of data for each route is huge. Slip in even a slight error to all of this data and you could end up with an odd route. 8O

Thinking locally in travelling along to my house there is probably about six different routes (admittedly some ridiculous) you could take at various points from the main road. Throw in a slightly wonky algorithm or miskeyed piece of road data and I guess any of these six routes could seem feasible. 8O

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: