Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - i3 Routing
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

i3 Routing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BERT_UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="gcb"] With a touch screen unit you can pan out and examine a route before you start. [quote]

The i3 lets you review your route as well :D

1) Use the scroll wheel to pan the map in and out

2) There's an option to review your turns before making the journey
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="BERT_UK"][quote="gcb"] With a touch screen unit you can pan out and examine a route before you start.
Quote:

The i3 lets you review your route as well :D

1) Use the scroll wheel to pan the map in and out

2) There's an option to review your turns before making the journey

i think he meant there's no way to actually change your mind on a route.

however, as stated previously it's under £180 - what more do you want it to do?!

a cheap computer will not do as much as a top of the range computer - if you want extra functionality then you have to pay more. the i3 is a budget unit. it gets you from a to b without getting you lost. if you want to select your own route then why buy a device that picks a route for you?!

MaFt
ps73uk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest i have decided i'm probably going to return my i3, some of the weird and wonderful routes it has tried to send me are at best beyond a joke, like the other day when it decided to get me home via Birmingham city centre instead of simply continuing to follow the M6 that i was already on and then going onto the M5 and off at junction 2 (like tomtom and medion do, and i would if reading a map!).

I had time to kill so i thought i would go along with the Garmin and see just exactly where it wanted to take me, as it routed me off the M6 motorway and onto the local A/B roads it added about 30 mins to my journey time. 8O

The Garmin strikes me as a good starter unit, but for an experienced user i dont think you can beat tomtom or medion/navigon. Looks like i'm going back to using my pocket pc.
Paul
NoLCD
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sticking up for the i3, its small (the amount of wires and aerials and cradles that I see in cars mean you need GPS as the windscreen is obscured Wink )
and its pretty cheap. As posted elsewhere its only as good as the map data.
In my case it beats an old Garmin GPS40 with no screen plugged into a laptop running Fugawi!
But you get what you pay for and the man at Comet wanted me to get a Tomtom he also was keen for me to pay £45 cover and to get Sky etc...
I am travelling 500 miles over the next week so opinion may change.

PS Is the verdict on 2.70 still bad?
gcb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In theory you can review your turns but in practice you cant.

Example as follows.

Set route and review it.

2 miles into journey ignore the Garmin to get out of traffic.

Garmin Does a recalculating when I ignored it.

5 miles later I am back on the route I reviewed earlier.

5 miles later where I was expecting to switch roads, I switch roads but not onto the one I expected.

Arrggh , when The Garmin recalculated my route, it said , OK, you want to avoid that town centre do you. Dont worry I found another one 10 miles down the raod, Im sure you'll enjoy joining thier 5:30 pm jam when your dying for a p**s and expected to be cruising down the motorway. Serve you right you B***rd for ignoring me before, hope you p**s your self! YOU don't think I know where Im going do you, I'll show you , Ill show you , I got every town in this piddly little place you call a country mapped out, get it , you see, do you .........

Review turns , notice something you can improve upon and change route, Garmin recalculates you are back
NoLCD
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you said praps best you take it back to shop...

I admit I was curious as I went under Heathrow yesterday and wondered how she new were I was going, as described it must just 'coast' until signal restablished. Anyway shame you are not getting along with it.
BERT_UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

i think he meant there's no way to actually change your mind on a route.

There was one part referring to the beginning of the journey:

gcb wrote:
With a touch screen unit you can pan out and examine a route before you start.

So I thought these little tips might help this part of the problem at least. I agree that reviewing your route once travelling is difficult, but then I also agree with:

MaFt wrote:

however, as stated previously it's under £180 - what more do you want it to do?!

a cheap computer will not do as much as a top of the range computer - if you want extra functionality then you have to pay more. the i3 is a budget unit. it gets you from a to b without getting you lost. if you want to select your own route then why buy a device that picks a route for you?!

MaFt

The i3 is a lot cheaper than the Tom Tom. Probably owing a lot to omitting the touch screen - GUI navigation is therefore going to be more limited.
BERT_UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gcb wrote:
In theory you can review your turns but in practice you cant.

Example as follows.

Set route and review it.

2 miles into journey ignore the Garmin to get out of traffic.

Garmin Does a recalculating when I ignored it.

5 miles later I am back on the route I reviewed earlier.

5 miles later where I was expecting to switch roads, I switch roads but not onto the one I expected.

Arrggh , when The Garmin recalculated my route, it said , OK, you want to avoid that town centre do you. Dont worry I found another one 10 miles down the raod, Im sure you'll enjoy joining thier 5:30 pm jam when your dying for a p**s and expected to be cruising down the motorway. Serve you right you B***rd for ignoring me before, hope you p**s your self! YOU don't think I know where Im going do you, I'll show you , Ill show you , I got every town in this piddly little place you call a country mapped out, get it , you see, do you .........

Review turns , notice something you can improve upon and change route, Garmin recalculates you are back

I touched on this in one of earlier posts, this thing is great at one thing - making routes from a to b. It has no intelligence, it doesn't remember you reviewed your turns and amended them. Every new and recalculated route is a clean slate.

If you want traffic notifications, avoid lists and everything else your going to need to fork out some more £'s and get a higher spec unit.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gcb wrote:
At ( I think J24 M4) heading to Barry area (West Cardiff) area. I3 wants me to take scenic no motorway route whatever settings Whether I am mid route or cancel route and recalculate from there. Turn onto M4, recalculating route time reduces substancially?

Change the routing from "Shortest" to "Fastest" and make sure you don't have "Avoid motorways" switched on.

Langstone to Barry fastest gives me M4 to J24 to J33 then south to Barry. Shortest goes through Cardiff - 5 miles shorter but 15 minutes longer according to the GPS.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gcb wrote:

Hmmm, can you switch off automatic recalculation on the i3?

gcb wrote:
Arrggh .... p**s B***rd p**s

Ok now. Deep breath. Hold it.... Hold it.... And breathe. Now, isn't that better. :D

One good thing about a sat nav system is that she doesn't get offended and stop giving you directions when you get angry with her. Wink
gcb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to go by J33 but what ever I did the unit seemed to send me back into Cardiff? I tried shortest and quickest. I was right up almost at J33 and found I had been switched oonto A48 and ended up giving up and just following A48 th A48(M)
A48(M) I was about to join M4 and was told to pull Off, confused I panned out but it was still showing A48(m) to M4, Think it balled up the Junction and wanted me to go down onto roundabout to go back up other side onto M4 when there was probably a filter lane. As went down to roundabout ended up in wrong lane (partly my fault) was rally busy realy jammed up, Had to turn left when I didnt want to , RECALCULATING, wanted to turn around couldn't, I3 helped me by changing route entirely and by sending me through the centre on Newport , down some very narrow rat races, one way streets and a snarl up outside the railway station.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gcb wrote:
I tried shortest and quickest.

Hmmm strange. You haven't got avoid highways ticked have you?
London_i3_Newbie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

firstly if your a map reading know it all smart arse whats the point of owning a sat-nav?

secondly has everyone made sure they have selected between fastest/shortest and havent got any ticks in avoidances (e.g. highways/toll roads etc)?

There seems to be alot of talk about the Garmin being useless at navigating in the forum at the moment?

Clearly it wont know if the M25 is rammed in rush hour or a lorry has overturned in front of you.

So is the mapping ability of the i3 flawed and does it really choose insanely outlandish routes regularly/sometimes or is it a decent unit? Wink
Map: City Select Europe NT v7
POIs Uploaded: Speed Camera Data
blackrat62
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit that my i3 comes up with some odd route choices (set to fastest and the only avoidance is unmade roads at the moment) - I can rarely get it to match any route planner whatever settings I try.

But I am delighted with it and the routes rarely adds significant time to what I would consider the optimum.

That said, (and yes I know it cannot detect congestion) it does seem to have an uncanny ability to pick the most congested routes. I tend to change between quickest and shortest depending on the nature of journey.

The only significant routing fault I find with it is the 'detour' funtion - useless. An example: on M3 towards M25 (next exit) I tried detour, it took me off at the M25, to the next junction where it routed me back to the same junction I left at????

To apply logic here - I asked to detour so the 'blockage' must be after the next junction: if it is before the next junction then there is no detour on a motorway. So by taking me off then back to the same junction at which I was told to exit it doesn't actually avoid you using any of the original route - thats NOT a detour!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the detour option works great on normal roads. not tried it on a motorway though...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: