Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SD Card Not Recognised?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SD Card Not Recognised?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MickB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: SD Card Not Recognised? Reply with quote

I have recently bought a TT300 and, as per the suggestion, I backed up the supplied SD card. Some time later I installed the Speed Camera Database and decided also decided to install some voice alerts as well. The SD card isn't big enough :-(
I therefore bought a 256mb Dane Elec card.
Then I think I cocked up:-(
I copied the installed card to the PC and then copied that data onto the new card. TT wouldn't recognise the new card with the copied data - although it was detected by the PC?
So - being slightly stupid - I again connected it up to the PC with the unrecognised card - and formatted the card with a view to starting again. This time I followed the 'wizard' on the CD and tried to install my original back up onto the new 256mb PC formatted card. I get the following error message: "Backup/restore operation could not complete successfully. Please check all connections and ensure that a Storage Card is inserted into your TomTom GO.". Even formatted it is recognised by the PC?
Ideas please ... or have I possibly corrupted a boot sector on the card. Embarassed

Thanks

Mike
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you still got the original card and does it work? - if so re-create the back-up of the card to the PC, but make sure you "show hidden files" before copying them to the PC or it won't be a complete data set - once this is done you should be able to copy the files from the PC to the new card (it might be worth formatting the new card before putting the data onto it) - Mike
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been using a card reader, ask your card reader manufacturer for a utility to get it working again, 50% of card readers will corrupt cards, and they all know it.

If you have a digi camera try using that to re-format the card.

If your pc can read the card via a card reader then RIGHT click the drive letter and go to the tools menu, click Error checking and then put ticks in both boxes on the window that opens, then click Start, after it has finished see if there are any files on the card, if there is any or (lost files fragments) then delete the lot, re-do the above till the card is empty then try it again in your unit.

The only 99% way of getting new cards to work ok is to copy the files from the existing card from the unit via ActiveSync, then making sure that the files once copied to the main pc have NO attributes set at all, place the new card in your unit, then copy them back via ActiveSync, yes I know it takes all day, but works.

Just my two pence worth.
MickB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help.
I have tried again in that I copied the working SD to the PC having 'view hidden files' selected, and then copied those files to the new PC formatted SD Card.
When I put the the new card into TT a graphic is displayed showing the card being ejected and then a big red cross is superimposed over it. TT seems to reject the card.
I don't have a card reader per se.
Could formatting the card via the PC have christmas crackered it? I only ask 'cos the camera I have (Sony - so I can't use that with the card) says that Memory Sticks formatted on a PC may not function correctly in a camera?
MickB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS - What is Active Synch???

Mike
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MickB wrote:

Mike

A comms programme. I don't think you need it for a GO, as your PC will treat it as a removable drive, I believe. I use Activesync to transfer files from PC ot PPC.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MickB wrote:
Mike

As Tim said in the above post you do not need ActiveSync, my mistake, it's only used for PDA's, forgot that the GO works as a Drive letter when connected to your PC.

If you formatted the card via the GO then it should be OK, have you tried the Error Check that I posted before, if it still will not work then I would return the card to the supplier if possible saying that it will not work, get a replacement, or another make.

Some SD cards that were manufactured this year and sold under several brand names had a fault in that the contacts were shorter than they should have been, this lead to some, but not all devices being able to read and write to them correctly.

Lexar and SanDisk are a two of the problem cards, but it only affected a very small batch.

Sorry to sound so negative, but don't have any other suggestions.

Perhaps a browse thru the TomTom forum might help find some other tips you could try.
MickB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The card has gone back - it failed in a mobile phone as well Crying or Very sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: