Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Streetpilot i3 for dummies.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Streetpilot i3 for dummies.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poppycat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Device seems to be okay in car and time working.

Still like to know what the slot is for and what that small black disc that comes withe the sat nav that has a red disc in the middle
poppycat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Yes i no what a cigarette lighter is for I just wanted clarification for what it meant in the manual because it isnt made clear which cable it requires. I am cautious because I cant afford to make a mistake and begger it up.

The manula doesnt explain what teh slot is for, no mention of what card etc. I figured its must be a sd card but no explanation of what card it shoudl take or teh maximum capacity, or why I should need one etc.

I can only assume that its for other maps, but no idea of what capacity I should go for. Why in the instructiions is mentioned loading poi data but there isnt enough capacity.

Skippy wrote:
Welcome

I suggest that you get in your car and have a look at what you've got. It should be fairly obvious which cable is the power plug - you can connect one end to the cigarette lighter and the other to the i3.

If it doesn't get a fix within a minute or two then park somewhere that you have a fairly good view of the sky and wait, it may take 5 to 15 minutes for it's first fix (from then on it should only take a minute or two for a first fix).

The time will be set once you get a first fix. Sometimes the time may be off by 15 seconds, this will correct itself after having a fix for about 15 minutes.

Enjoy!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The slot will accept a "TransFlash" card, if all you want is extra capacity to load POI etc. then I would sugest a smaller card will suffice, if you want to load extra maps (at significant cost) then you should consider a larger card 512MB etc. When you purchase the extra card make sure it comes with an addaptor to enable the tiny thing to fit a normal SD card reader, something like Maplins code A58CJ then you can transfer files to the card via a reader rather than through the unit.
For PC connectivity to the Garmin unit use a standard USB to mini USB interface cable (Maplins code ZP40T ) for example, just make sure you don't drop the card, they really are tiny - Mike
poppycat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help guys.
happyhkv
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: I3 won't load MaFt poi +speed camera files Reply with quote

Hi I have got my garmin i3 and have unziped the camera database and the MaFt poi into one folder.

I have installed the USB drivers and Garmin poi loader software.

On starting the loader software and selecting the folder containing the afore mentioned files and clicking on next, nothing seems to happend for about 3 min after which I get a prompt on the screen that there is no room and reduce the poi file. So I removed all except the camera database and it installed ok.

So how come I cannot include both databases onto the garmin.

Please excuse my ignorance if I have missed something that is glaring and simple but I am confused.

GArmin S/W version 3.1
Voice 2.5
Maps v8
Thar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: I3 won't load MaFt poi +speed camera files Reply with quote

happyhkv wrote:
Hi I have got my garmin i3 and have unziped the camera database and the MaFt poi into one folder.

On starting the loader software and selecting the folder containing the afore mentioned files and clicking on next, nothing seems to happend for about 3 min after which I get a prompt on the screen that there is no room and reduce the poi file. So I removed all except the camera database and it installed ok.

Please excuse my ignorance if I have missed something that is glaring and simple but I am confused.

GArmin S/W version 3.1
Voice 2.5
Maps v8

If you have the inbuilt memory version you may need to buy a MicroSD card to fit all safety cams and POI's. If you have the version that comes with the MicroSD, you will need a card reader/adapter to write to the card.
happyhkv
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: I3 won't load MaFt poi +speed camera files Reply with quote

Thar wrote:

If you have the inbuilt memory version you may need to buy a MicroSD card to fit all safety cams and POI's. If you have the version that comes with the MicroSD, you will need a card reader/adapter to write to the card.

Hi, many thanks for the responce. My i3 came with a 256M flash card.

As you suggest I get a card reader, to write all POI. Does that mean the garmin sees memory size less then it really is using the POI loader, compared to the card reader?
mk_graham
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Happyhkv,
Quote:
...Does that mean the garmin sees memory size less then it really is using...

No, it's just that when you have your i3 plugged into the usb port, the drivers supplied don't let POIloader 'see' the card, just the i3's internal memory, which does not have enough room.
---
TomTom Go 720 WE Maps (for sale)
---
iPhone with Sygic Mobile Maps (Europe) - having problems
Thar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A card reader also allows you to back up the card just in case you accidentally delete the files on the card.
happyhkv
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered a 512m card with SD adaptor.

Thanks for the clarification guys Smile
mk_graham
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

more than welcome!
---
TomTom Go 720 WE Maps (for sale)
---
iPhone with Sygic Mobile Maps (Europe) - having problems
jkevind
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Garmin i3 Maps for the US Reply with quote

Hi does anyone know where I can get USA maps. off to Florida in a couple of days and looking for the best and quickest way to get hold of the US maps.

Thanks

Kevin
dacota
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy i have the same bike as you do you have a mount for your gps if so can i see it.
dacota
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How di i back up the units data???
BarryK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: I3 won't load MaFt poi +speed camera files Reply with quote

happyhkv wrote:

GArmin S/W version 3.1
Voice 2.5
Maps v8

Hi all

I have a similar problem to happyhkv's - I bought the i3 last July and successfully downloaded the camera database but on loading the poi's, I too found that there was not enough memory.

"Ahh" thought I "memory card doesn't have enough capacity- must get a bigger one"

I deleted a few of the less important POI's and tried again - this time successfully.

I have recently got a free map update from Garmin and purchased a 1 gig SD card.

I plugged in the new (blank) SD card and when I updated the map (from Garmin MapSource - on the PC) I chose to load only the Great Britain & Ireland maps which loaded successfuly.

When I came to update the POI's and traffic cameras I got the 'Out of memory' message again'

I don't have a dedicated card reader but was able to scan the card by plugging it into my mobile phone and 'exploring' it with the mobile phone software.

It seems that the only data on the SD card is the GB & Ireland Map (about 1.4 megs) - no POI's.........

My Questions are:
Can I just 'drag & drop' the POI's onto the SD card?

If this is possible, how do I delete the old POI's and camera data from the memory of the i3?

Apologies if this matter has been covered before, I've done a few searches but can't find anything in the archives.

Cheers
Barry Confused

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: