Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Member just bought street pilot i3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Member just bought street pilot i3
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dazza101
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: New Member just bought street pilot i3 Reply with quote

Hi ALL,

I have just bought a I3 streep pilot, there's no cd in box , should i have one?

Followed all info in box , got in car and for the last hour it cant find satelites , and the time is not correct.

can anyone help , or should i take it back the shop tomorrow.

Thanks

DF
mattdonut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi i didnt get a cd with mine i downloaded the usb drivers from the garmin website..
also mine took ages to find the sats i was stuck on taiwan for ages when i stuck it to the windscreen it was fine.
hope that helps
FriendlyBloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beware to not rely 100% on trying to obtain satelite reception in your car. If you have no success in your car, try a window sill indoors. I waited ages in my car, thought there was something wrong but now know it was my windscreen that was the problem. I put it on the internal window sill for 10 minutes and got reception.

Hope this is reassuring
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: New Member just bought street pilot i3 Reply with quote

dazza101 wrote:
Followed all info in box , got in car and for the last hour it cant find satelites , and the time is not correct.

You probably have a metalic coated heat reflecting windscreen (they have a distinctive blue sheen to them in the sunlight).

Try sitting outside with your GPS in an area with a clear view of the sky and don't move around. It may take 5 minutes to get it's first ever fix but from then on it should get a fix in 45-90 seconds (don't drive off until it has a fix or it takes longer).

You might need an outside aerial if you have the heat reflecting windscreen...
charlies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

You do not get CD with it, it is all on card. You have to download USB drivers from Garmin website, you will also find software upgrades and POI loader on that site.

Try getting a link outside of the car and then moving it inside, if your windshield is the problem try putting it on the right hand side near passenger window. (My car has heater elements and if I am messing with unit not connected to holder it loses signal, but on the right hand side of screen works fine and never loses reception)

My first connection took about a minute and it now finds link in about 30 seconds or less.

STICK WITH IT......Great little unit for the money.
thekingsuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I have just bought one too after about a year of wanting a GPS, and I am very impressed. It may be cheap, but it won't get me lost Smile

Just a quick question if anyone has a moment to help.

I loaded the traffic camera POI csv files to it, and just wanted to confirm what the Alert: MOBILE:1315 is.
I am sure that it is just telling me that there is a mibile camera that is sometimes at that location (its right outside my house, so I see it every day).

If anyone can confirm, that would be fantastic.

Oh and as a side note, what is the proximity range for these cameras, or is it speed dependant ?

Gotta just say again though. Love the little gadget - best £200 I have spent (so far).
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad you are enjoying your purchase....moble:1315 is a mobile camera as you suggest , the absence of a '@' after the number means that its not speed sensitive and will alert as you approach what ever speed you are doing whether the camera is operative or not...the proximity i believe is half a mile.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

proximity for the speed camera's depends on the speed. if you do it on 'express mode' to upload them then a speed cam at 30mph will warn at about 1500 feet, one at 40mph will warn at about 2200 feet. if you select a camera in the i3 poi list then it will give you the alert info. not sure what the default alert distance is for when there is not speed set though.

MaFt
thekingsuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent - Thanks for the quick replies Smile

So the @ sign after a number means that it is speed sensetive - cool !!
Any reason for the numbers "1315", do they cahnge for each camera, or is that just their unique ID ?

Or am I just asking really stupid questions ?

Thanks for all the help though, can't wait to test it fully tomorrow...

Have a good weekend all.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thekingsuk wrote:
Excellent - Thanks for the quick replies Smile

So the @ sign after a number means that it is speed sensetive - cool !!
Any reason for the numbers "1315", do they cahnge for each camera, or is that just their unique ID ?

Or am I just asking really stupid questions ?

Thanks for all the help though, can't wait to test it fully tomorrow...

Have a good weekend all.

as far as i know they are unique numbers for the camera's - this may be just for pocketgpsworld tough. in that if you notice a wrong speed set you can email them and say gatso number 1234 is at 30mph now not 40... or similar ;)

MaFt
thekingsuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MaFt,

I know the speed for that camera, so will drop a line to the site admin.

Hope this all works tomorrow - my missus wants me to print out directions as backup, but I said no. If we get lost, I am gonna be in the dogbox for sure Smile
pauljmuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be fine

Cardinal rule of the I3 - trust it!

Its taken me on some mad journeys, but always got me there on time, or even ahead of time.

Imagine i's one of those smart ars*s that sit with the map in hand, on your passenger seat, saying "I know a great shortcut" - only this one really does know a great shortcut.....

Good luck

Pauljmuk
thekingsuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow,

Its just like a mobile phone - once you get one, you don't know how you ever did without it !!

Did the job perfectly, even though I didn't do mine as well Smile

Definitely going to use the fastest time route as opposed to the shorter distance from now on, as the I3 did have some very unique ideas...

Traffic camera db worked a charm, but in the city was beeping at me more often than not - reckon I got my money back for it, as I would have been snapped speeding at least 3 times Smile

If you don't have one, and like me was cruising forums to read up on it from actual guys on the street, BUY ONE - its almost a necessity !!!!!
thekingsuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol - I meant to ask this in the thread above - sorry for the multipost Smile

I have trawled through many sights, and I can't seem to find any POI files for motorway services ?

Does anybody know if this is available anywhere ?

It would just be very handy to know how far the next one is away, as I always seem to drink too much coffee on the road...
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thekingsuk wrote:
Lol - I meant to ask this in the thread above - sorry for the multipost Smile

I have trawled through many sights, and I can't seem to find any POI files for motorway services ?

Does anybody know if this is available anywhere ?

It would just be very handy to know how far the next one is away, as I always seem to drink too much coffee on the road...

Have you skipped looking at (MaFt) i3 website? You'd be more impressed with your little gem once you've uploaded the POIs from their. Hope this helps. Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: