Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Incorrect speed alerts????
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Incorrect speed alerts????
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Logan1475
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Incorrect speed alerts???? Reply with quote

Hello anyone and everyone, I've just bought a Streetpilot i3 recently and uploaded the speedcamera POI's thingy. The alerts for the cameras seem to be working at the correct places but I keep getting messages such as 'Speed alert 19mph' when I'm in a 30mph zone 8O or 'Speed alert 27mph' when coming upto a 40mph zone???? Can anyone explain what this is all about? surely it should say 'Speed alert 30mph or 40mph'??

Apart from this I love the i3, has made my life so much easier as I do a lot of driving for my job. Thanks to everyone for there posts also, they have been very helpful especially the camera download/upload(when I can figure it out properly that is.)
andspenka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this on a few camera's too, it just needs the speed changing in the POI file. You need to find out which camera is wrong, they all have a number and send it to the bods on here so they can update the files.
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the speed alert speeds might be incorrect but the i3 does tell you where the camera is and ok it keeps on bleeping as you through the camera range so at these times you are aware , and you keep to the required speed for that area..
pauljmuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I just make a comment here, as a new i3 owner, and now an (ex) snooper owner.

I paid a small fortune for my snooper, and added to that, I paid a fiver a month for the priviledge of updates. I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. That thing beeped at me constantly. Annoying at first, but then I got into the mentality of, "oh well, at least I'm alerted"...

Then I got an i3 and the snooper is well and truly on the shelf. Honestly, I can't see how those guys could continue selling them if their customers knew about the i3 and satnav.... alerts, plus a map!!!

Come on, they cant be 100 percent perfect. Neither can the POI's, but hey, 1000% better than any alternative. (and it picks your route for you too!!!!)

Sorry to go on, just my vote for the Garmin. Exceeds my expectations.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pauljmuk wrote:

Come on, they cant be 100 percent perfect. Neither can the POI's, but hey, 1000% better than any alternative. (and it picks your route for you too!!!!)

and at least they can be updated as and when (and for free)
Logan1475
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh I understand all of that, but if it was just case of paritcular cameras being wrong then would it not just say 30mph in a 40mph Rolling Eyes zone or 40 in 30mph zone, I mean why would it be set to say 19mph when there is no such speed limit!!!???!!!

I'm not knocking the machine its the best thing since sliced whatever as far as I'm concerned just trying to get my head round how this thing ticks.
JonA
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I have just bought an i3 - great bit of kit - and had the same problem.

The solution is to check what units you are using - miles/hr or km/h. I expect you are using good old British miles/hr like me.

Then .... check the alert units in the POI loader software. These need to be set to match. I think there is a pull down on the first screen just after you select where the POI files are.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Jon A
Logan1475
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the practical advice JonA, will give that a try and let you all know how I get on.
Logan1475
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonA wrote:

I have just bought an i3 - great bit of kit - and had the same problem.

The solution is to check what units you are using - miles/hr or km/h. I expect you are using good old British miles/hr like me.

Then .... check the alert units in the POI loader software. These need to be set to match. I think there is a pull down on the first screen just after you select where the POI files are.

Jon A

Yep thats done the trick, thanks for the help will know doubt be returning for more advcie soon.

Cheers
hucker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pauljmuk wrote:
Can I just make a comment here, as a new i3 owner, and now an (ex) snooper owner.

I paid a small fortune for my snooper, and added to that, I paid a fiver a month for the priviledge of updates. I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. That thing beeped at me constantly. Annoying at first, but then I got into the mentality of, "oh well, at least I'm alerted"...

Then I got an i3 and the snooper is well and truly on the shelf.

Same here, but mine is in the hands of the French police! Along with a €750 fine!

Good thing about a GPS is they won't know I'm also using it for speed cameras!
Joolz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes this happened to me near Bristol on Motorway should have been 70 mph but said 40!! - How do i find out which one it is so that I can notify somone or change it?
Joolz
hucker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joolz wrote:
Yes this happened to me near Bristol on Motorway should have been 70 mph but said 40!! - How do i find out which one it is so that I can notify somone or change it?
Joolz

Seen as 70kph is not 40mph, I'll assume this isn't to do with importing with the wrong units.

Are you sure the camera is ON the motorway? It may be on a nearby road or flyover. The trouble with the POI system is it does not take into account direction like the roadpilot speed camera thingy does. I assume this is a limitation of the streetpilot - or that POIs weren't actually designed for cameras!
zoldano
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The speed is wrong probably cos you loaded the POI when the unit was measuring metric (eg KPH) and then switched it to imperial (eg MPH) for example 30KPH = 19MPH.

I'm not being a smartypants here - I have the same problem -

help anyone?
HySeeker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The speed is wrong probably cos you loaded the POI when the unit was measuring metric (eg KPH) and then switched it to imperial (eg MPH) for example 30KPH = 19MPH.

I'm not being a smartypants here - I have the same problem -

help anyone?

I sugget that you check the i3 is in mph, run POILoader again, set that to mph, then upload the file again. That should overwrite any earlier POIs.

hth
Logan1475
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hucker wrote:
Joolz wrote:
Joolz

Seen as 70kph is not 40mph, I'll assume this isn't to do with importing with the wrong units.

Are you sure the camera is ON the motorway? It may be on a nearby road or flyover. The trouble with the POI system is it does not take into account direction like the roadpilot speed camera thingy does. I assume this is a limitation of the streetpilot - or that POIs weren't actually designed for cameras!

i think your barking up the wrong tree here lads, see huckers post above! Is not to do with importing with wrong units...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: