Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigation by postcode
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigation by postcode

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robdaglish
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Navigation by postcode Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
I'm looking for some software which can navigate well by using 7 digit postal codes - I live, and visit some rural areas where there are no street names to go by.

I'd like to be able to run the software on my PDA, a HP iPaq rx3715 with a 1GB SD Card.

Cheers,
Rob Daglish
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom 5 now includes a 7 digit post code address search, but the latest version of Navigon, also version 5 cannot.
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Navigation by postcode Reply with quote

robdaglish wrote:
I'm looking for some software which can navigate well by using 7 digit postal codes - I live, and visit some rural areas where there are no street names to go by.
The trouble with relying on postcodes for navigation in rural areas is that an individual postcode may cover quite a large acreage in a rural area. Without refining details such as a street/road name you may end up quite a way from the place you are looking for.

For the iPaq TomTom 5 uses 7 character postcodes, or the stand-alone Garmin StreetPilot i3 also uses them (and has the better Navteq maps).
robdaglish
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Navigating Rural Areas other than by postcode Reply with quote

Hmm - I see your point Kam, but in this case, usually the school will be the only thing at that postcode - and a large area would be better than a street name that might be in the nearest town - as an example, try CA26 3XU. This will give you an address listed as Lamplugh School, Kirkland - it isn't - it's nearly a mile out of there. But it is the only thing in it's postcode. As it is, I've already got the iPaq so I'm not all that keen on going out and buying a standalone device. Could any of the packages navigate to an NGR, eg NY065180?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, if you are visiting the same places (schools etc) then you can save each location as Favorite (in TT not too sure about the other one mentioned above). Once in the PDA you can nav to favorite and call up a previously stored place, I use this quite alot for some of the more obscure places my job takes me at times. Nav to postcode first then when you get there at the actual place store it with whatever name you want - mike
robdaglish
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So - as a newbie - even if the postcode didn't get me right there, as long as I add that place as a favourite when I do get there, I'd be able to navigate to it next time? That would be better. Cheers Mike, I'll hunt down a copy of TT if it can do 7 digit nav by postcode then.

Thanks all!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try http://www.tomtom.com/
If you want to purchase direct from the supplier, or any of the links from this site (top RH column of this sites home page) - Mike
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,

It sound as though a combination of TT5 and Barry Davies' free utility, OSGB Convertor, may suit you:
http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/barrydavies/osgps.htm

This combination tells me that NY065180 is at Sheriff's Gate.
robdaglish
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've lived here 25 years and I've never heard of Sheriff's Gate - The only thing for a mile or so is the school, no street signs or anything! Looking at the post code, it would get me to the school, so I'm not going to worry about it too much - especially as it isn't part of the address of the school. TT5 worked well enough with some of the others I've tried it with, so I'm not going to worry about it for now!
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robdaglish wrote:
Well, I've lived here 25 years and I've never heard of Sheriff's Gate - The only thing for a mile or so is the school, no street signs or anything!
Looking at the map I can believe that there would not be any street signs on it, but TomTom Navigator, SmartST Pro, and AutoRoute all list the road about 2/3 of a mile SE of Rowrah and running roughly NNE to SSW as Sheriff's Gate.

Anyway, one way or another, it seems that TT5 will get you to the places you want.
robdaglish
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly, I was running TTN5 and it came up with street names for quite a few back lanes in Cumbria that nobody I've spoken to knew had a name - or knew it by a different name! Maybe we cumbrians are as thick as it's rumoured by some Wink The nearest sign to what you all call "Sheriff's Gate" is at Rowrah - 2/3 of a mile away.

Anyhow, thanks all, I've been using TT5 for what seems like ages now, and unlike people that used TT3 first, I think it's quite a nice product, I need to learn how to use it though - like avoiding a certain section of a route.

Cheers to everyone again for all your help

Rob

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: