Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is this thing intelligent??!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this thing intelligent??!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pauljmuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Is this thing intelligent??! Reply with quote

Bear with me here - but does the I3 remember the routes you have been on.

My example

Not long had this, so still going through the novelty of getting to direct me to places I already know - like my work. So I allowed it to direct me to work the other day (and back), no problem - exactly the route I usually take.

Next morning, I did the same thing - accident on the road and a major tailback - hit diversion, and the wonderful little box of tricks, took me on a MAD diversion, down country lanes - AND got me to work at the same time - BRILLIANT!!

But here is the thing - morning after that, I have it navigating again, and obviously there is no blockage on the main road today - but it tries to steer me down the diversion route from the previous day. I had NOT pressed diversion - just set up from cold, put work in as my target, with no via points. Does it remember??

Other than that - superb bit of kit - I am now using it to navigate to my clients work sites - even if I know where they are - 4 out of 5 times now, it has found me an alternative, quicker route that I didnt know existed - superb.

Pauljmuk
Trajet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if it is 'intelligent'. As I always reverse up my drive I take 'the long way' round to my house to make it easier to revese. The i3 always wants to put me the quickest way. Mind you the i3 takes no time at all to recalculate the road home once I pass my 'quickest' road end. Driving
pauljmuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm - maybe it was just having a "moment".

I must say - My other half and I , when driving with it, are quite often saying "no, thats not the best way" - and sometimes we ignore it.

Hate to say it though, whilst some of its routes seem a bit mad on the face of it, they are quick, and always right!
Trajet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was impressed when I also came across roadworks. I had the confidence to take a wild detour and let the i3 guide me to work. despite a 7 mile detour I was only a few minutes later than I would have been normally. :D
casablanca
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like not taking the advised route in case I upset her. She sounds so nice!!!
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this thing intelligent??! Reply with quote

pauljmuk wrote:
Bear with me here - but does the I3 remember the routes you have been on.

The Garmin appears to "learn" what speeds you do on different road types so it can adjust your ETA. If you take a few minor roads and make good time then it may adjust it's route calculations and decide that it's better to take the back roads.

Sometimes it's a 50/50 decision about which route to take and depending on which way the wind is blowing, it will send you down a different way.
overide
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got used to it taking me down single lane roads Smile At first I used to ignore it but now I just go with the flow and it works fine.
pauljmuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird - did the same route twice since posting this, and it has once tried the back lines route, and once on the main road - exactly the same times of day.

Single lane, rural routes are fine (and I must say, in my case were just as quick), but that does assume you dont get stuck behind anything slow. Whilst this can happen on a trunk road, there is much more chance of overtaking!
pauljmuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I'd just add, its also quite nice to try an alternative route to and from work - I've been doing it for 8 years, and a change is quite welcome
Logan1475
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone ever had the experience where the i3 takes you one particular route to a destination and an alternate route on the way back?

Is the route mappig dependent on the time of day/year etc. (based on DLS time).
So say I travel to the destiantion at 9.00(Rush hour) It will take me oen route , but if I travel bnack at say 10.45 it will take my back on another rout i.e no traffick having meant it understands diffrent traffick condions at diffrent times????
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logan1475 wrote:
Has anyone ever had the experience where the i3 takes you one particular route to a destination and an alternate route on the way back

I've had it happen on the Quest lots of times. I guess the i3 is fairly similar.

Sometimes it's caused by things like one-way roads or turn restrictions making the trips a different length so that swings it in favour of a totally different route.

Other times it seems to pick a different route going back based on the average speeds you did on the first route.
jaypee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Has anyone ever had the experience where the i3 takes you one particular route to a destination and an alternate route on the way back?

Yes

I got directed along a very nice country lane early one Sunday morning and then returned along an A road half an hour later

I just put that down to the quirks of route planning software
gcb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Yes In my experience the software seems to have a LEFT bias.
So when there are 2 eqivilent routes it would be more likely to have you take the one with the least right turns.
This is probably desirable because theres more waiting around when turning right, particularly in the USA where its legal to go through a RED LIGHT when turning left. The same navigation algorithms seem to be used by a number of GPS suppliers.

There are definately some odd quirks though which are hard to explain but the same quirks seem to effect other GPS as well.

Eg.

And this one is annoying as hell, never court me out though because I know the area.

CV2 2TX. Near M6 J2. There's a business park on the left of A46 when travelling south from M6. You can view this area on a Garmin or other GPS. Now to get into the business park you should go down to the first roundabout. Not using sat-nav though. All sat-navs I have seen will direct the driver back up towards the M6 and advise taking the slip road into the Hilton Hotel. This is a short cut through the Hilton Hotel, the road seems to be private and I assume owned by Hilton as they have barriers and charge minimum £3.00 for entering thier car park if you are not a resident. The number of people I have seen trying to reverse back on to the dual carriage way!
charlies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this thing can account for delayed times and remember etc, that suggests it has storage set aside on card for times actually taken etc and also processing power/software to handle this, seems a bit unlikely to me!

I know it does not like "prefered routes" as it nearly always directs me the same way despite me always going quickest route (avoiding heavy traffic and lights).

What would be great is if these these things could transmit actual times to
Garmin and download patches etc so it finds the ACTUAL fastest route based on times of day/rush hour etc.

Unfortunatley, they are receivers only, not transmitters Angry

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: