Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Battery Life
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Battery Life
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
casablanca
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not on mine it's not. Signal strength, nothing else.
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok..unit with batterys only in it...switch on you get a i3 logo then a warning screen then if left the i3 will go into the 'where to', 'view map' and 'settings' screen...at the top of this screen you should have signal - time - battery...
casablanca
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. I was trying it with the USB plugged in.
Sorry.
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrystan wrote:
As a general rule re-chargables have less capacity than good Alkalines.
This is true as far as the theoretical maximum capacity is concerned and alkalines should last longer in a low drain device such as a radio (not a DAB one though). However, the i3 is a high drain device and niMH rechargables will long outlast alkalines when used in high drain devices. You can't get all the power out of an alkaline cell when it is discharged at a relatively quick rate. That is why Garmin recommend rechargables for the i3, as do digital camera makers for their products.
charlies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all

I have ran mine on alkaline batteries only as I use cig lighter for Ipod connection to radio (for those that dont know, it transmits ipod music on an FM frequency that you pick up on your stereo and charges your ipod at the same time). Alkalines were only lasting about one to two hours and voice prompts switched off half way through that period (presumably to save battery life).

Anyway, today I bought four 2500mh rechargeable batteries and a quick charger. Charged for 30Mins then got over an hour out of a set until I got back home and they still showed full power.

I guess this confirms that alkalines are crap in the sat nav. Either way I should save a fortune on batteries and can charge four fully in an hour :D

Only got the Garmin on Sunday and love it, updated with all POI's etc and find it very stable. My mate was in shop at same time buying a unit (wanted one for about £350+ as he had bad experiences before) after one hour he was still outside with shop assistant trying to get any of them to pick up a signal, I bought the garmin, plugged it in and got sats in about ten seconds, shouted to him to get one of these little beauties instead as i left (prompted) for home....hope he did.

Of course we all want different things in the unit, but for the price we have paid we should all be happy at the bargain!!
FriendlyBloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charlies wrote:
Hi all

I have ran mine on alkaline batteries only as I use cig lighter for Ipod connection to radio

For those in the same position, this may be of help...............

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=42894&doy=12m10
sfcman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Battery Life Reply with quote

I've been using 1300mah rechargeables in mine for a week or so, but am getting a low battery message & losing the sound when there are still 2 bars showing for battery life. I have changed the unit to the nimh option - am I missing something or is this usual for rechargeables?
charlies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine did same on alkalines, I think voice goes off to save battery life.

The MH rating (I think) says how long it will last, so with 1300mh you probably dont get much life. I dont know how the rating affects drain etc but can say the 2300mh I tried today are performing much better....will keep you posted.

If I get anywhere near the six hours possible (according to Garmin) I will be well happy. With two sets of rechargeables that gives me 12 hours off a one hour charge :D

If only the unit recharged bats at the same time, If I go camping or anything it would be be great to run off cig lighter for a while and top up batts.

I just hate wires hanging around Crying or Very sad
pauljmuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i hate the wires too, (and the blasted red light on the charger - how bright is that??!!!) - but honestly, other than using it out of the car, I really cant see how you would want car navigation with batteries - rechargeables, or otherwise, its going to cost you - either money for new batteries, or time and hassle in charging the rechargeable ones.

Live the wires I say

Just my two penneth
charlies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well did a decent run today and sat nav was on for 3 and 1/2 hours. Batteries still show full power and that was on brightest and loudest setting.

Definately think it is worth the hassle of recharging for one hour to get hopefully 12+ hours out of batteries and not have that lead swinging about.

BTW. Little Gobby one was spot on and POI speed cameras are a licence saver Embarassed Thanks to MaFt!!!!!! Top fella :D
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charlies wrote:
BTW. Little Gobby one was spot on and POI speed cameras are a licence saver Embarassed Thanks to MaFt!!!!!! Top fella :D

thanks to pocketgpsworld for making them in the first place, i just made it fit the garmin ;)

also, fm transmitters are illegal in the uk - it's classed as a pirate radio station (even though the range is only about 2m max!!). still, didn't stop me getting one for my creative zen xtra ;)

MaFt
charlies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you get your Zen one? My wife has a Zen and I think it has better sound than the Ipod
Willie_Ekaslike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
didn't stop me getting one for my creative zen xtra ;)

MaFt

Same here MaFt, the Zen xtra is much better that the ipod soundwise...

ERROR: Keyboard not attached, Press F1 to continue.
ninjagaiden
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Creative Zen Micro- much better than Ipod mini imho.

V annoying about FM transmitters being illegal!

Alternative (and legal) kit to change CD changer fitting into an AUX input costs £60 for an Audi.

What would be really cool is a setup that powers both Zen and i3, and pipes sound from Zen into aux input, but turns down the music when the i3 gives a voice prompt (A bit like some mobile phone kits).
sfcman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally gave up on the 1300 mah rechargeables after having to recharge them every other day & upgraded to 2500 mah - MUCH better!!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: