Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Great POIs - thanks MaFt (and some questions)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Great POIs - thanks MaFt (and some questions)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dougconran
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Great POIs - thanks MaFt (and some questions) Reply with quote

Firstly, a big thanks to MaFt for a sterling job on producing so many POIs. Not entirely sure that I'll want to visit the Hungry Horse in Newton Abbot - but you never know.

FYI - www.multimap.co.uk shows latitude & longitude as part of a range of information under the map location, there is no need to go to another screen. I find this a bit easier than streetmap.

A Question - there is an obvious difference in the numbeer of columns between the straightforward location POIs such as Hungry Horse and the speed camera ones. I know that the figure after the @ is the legal speed limit at that point, what is the figure immediately before the @?

Secondly, is anyone aware of any way of being able to get the embedded POI icons to show, particularly the petrol station ones? It would be really useful to be able to see the location of upcoming stations on the major, non-motorway, roads. Other than creating a specific custom POI for them does anyone have any ideas?

Thirdly, am I right in thinking that the only icons that show in navigation mode are those that have proximity alerts? Are all others just there so that you can navigate to them?

TIA

Doug

PS - just seen your new i3 web pages. They're not fancy but do the job - thanks
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Great POIs - thanks MaFt (and some questions) Reply with quote

dougconran wrote:
Firstly, a big thanks to MaFt for a sterling job on producing so many POIs. Not entirely sure that I'll want to visit the Hungry Horse in Newton Abbot - but you never know.

no probs - thanks to everyone who let me use their tom tom ov2 files! the hungry horse were what someone emailed me that they had edited so thought i may as well include it (along with football grounds [i HATE football with a passion but figured there'd be poeple who would want them])

Quote:

FYI - www.multimap.co.uk shows latitude & longitude as part of a range of information under the map location, there is no need to go to another screen. I find this a bit easier than streetmap.

what i like about street map is you can select an actual spot and it puts an arrow there so you have no doubt where the lat/long are refferring to

Quote:

A Question - there is an obvious difference in the numbeer of columns between the straightforward location POIs such as Hungry Horse and the speed camera ones. I know that the figure after the @ is the legal speed limit at that point, what is the figure immediately before the @?

there are actually still only 3 columns, but the speed cam ones have extra detail (i.e. the speed!) the figure before the @ is simply a reference number for the camera e.g. GATSO:5688@30 is Gatso speed camera no. 5688 which is in a 30 zone. maybepocket gps can expand on that or tell me i'm wrong?

Quote:

Secondly, is anyone aware of any way of being able to get the embedded POI icons to show, particularly the petrol station ones? It would be really useful to be able to see the location of upcoming stations on the major, non-motorway, roads. Other than creating a specific custom POI for them does anyone have any ideas?

this was covered elsewhere i think and garmin's official line is that "it was felt the general consensus was this would clog up the screen". not sure i agree with them, but if enough people mention it maybe they can change their poi loader to incue an option of 'show icon for this csv file during navigation mode'? either that or when you realise you're short on petrol in the middle of newton abbot after eating a hungry horse(?!!) you can go to menu and then 'find nearby' and look for petrol stations, hit 'navigate' and set it as a via-point (assuming you're already navigating somewhere)

Quote:

Thirdly, am I right in thinking that the only icons that show in navigation mode are those that have proximity alerts? Are all others just there so that you can navigate to them?

yeah, i think so...

Quote:

Doug

MaFt

Quote:

PS - just seen your new i3 web pages. They're not fancy but do the job - thanks

they're not great but it does the job like you say! but considering i knocked them up in half an hour whilst at work... Wink

still, 217 visitors in 2 days makes it the most popular site i've ever made!!

cheers
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site great in content and that's what counts. I hope that you'll eventually be able to get something back from it (like being able to put an ad banner or two). Laughing but for now ....thank you.
danoli
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Great POIs - thanks MaFt (and some questions) Reply with quote

dougconran wrote:

Not sure if it has been mentioned here before, appologies if it has. The custom POI's only use three of the available 4 columns for the i3, they are, lat/long & name

If you add a 4th column to your POI csv file, you can import additional details such as an address, phone number or whatever you want.

The name field holds 30 characters
The additional details field holds somewhere around 84 characters and displays slightly smaller in the screen. It is basically the same field that the i3 uses for the address when saving a waypoint.

I use my own custom POI file for my customers. The name field has the customers name or business name whereas I use the details filed to store the address and phone number and any other relevant info.

I either use streetmap or google maps to get the details to input into a spreadsheet for output to the i3 or just save the waypoint (when at the customers) and later extract it from the i3 to then put into the customer spreadsheet to input into the i3 in the correct format.

I find this much easier that using the waypoints as I can catagorise my customers into seperate files which makes locating a customer much easier.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Great POIs - thanks MaFt (and some questions) Reply with quote

Danoli, great info there - where did you find that out from?

MaFt
danoli
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Great POIs - thanks MaFt (and some questions) Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
Danoli, great info there - where did you find that out from?

MaFt

Trial and error really. When I was saving a waypoint from a searched postcode I was curious how the full address was stored as a seperate chunk of data so guessed it was feasable. I got the field lengths for just creating blag entries of various sizes till it hit a limit. Not sure if I hit a screen limit or memory limit but 84 characters can store a lot of info.

Hope you find it of use
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Great POIs - thanks MaFt (and some questions) Reply with quote

danoli wrote:

Hope you find it of use

:D good work fella :D
Lewy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry MaFt m8 but I like football so I thought i'd send you everything I had done Confused

What is on your poi list at the moment? just wondering if you have amended it recently?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lewy wrote:
What is on your poi list at the moment? just wondering if you have amended it recently?

not had chance for any big additions, just a few alterations to pin point the places (e.g. asda's marked on other side of roads, new kfc's etc)

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: