Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Street Pilot C310
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Street Pilot C310

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SsndyMac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Garmin Street Pilot C310 Reply with quote

I have just received a new Garmin C310 in place of a Tom Tom Go 300, from first looks the 310 is much better built and far more responsive to touch screen input.

However I am at this stage sure if I made the correct decison, having found little to complain about whist using the Tom Tom 300. The Tom Tom go 300 once updated to the latest version of software always got me where I needed to be by postcode entry of address input. I would say however it seemed very easy to find Post Codes that could not be matched, and some minor map inaccuracys ( Newbury by-pass not shown)

When I purchased the Tom Tom unit I was also using a MicroRoadPilot for speed camera detection. I became very obvious that to have both units mounted on the dashboard and both squacking away at the same time was not going to be very practical. I decided to subscribe to TOM Tom's Speed Camera system and thats really the worst part of my experence with the Tom Tom.

The Tom Tom's implementation of POI's for speed camera detection is just rubbish to put it frankly. It's inaccurate with loads of sites missing, has a habit of cutting out verbal directional instructions from the mapping softwware (always seems to be when it's important), only gives one warning (at the predetermined distance you have previously set), warns when the camera is on the otherside of the carrageway, (Gatso). Once mastered okay to setup but far from automated, The real downer is you can very very easily turn off the POI warnings without realising have you done so.

If I was having a bit of a go at Tom Tom I would note the following minor niggles. The screen is very clear and bright, however in bright sunlight impossible to read at all. The suction screen mount vibrates incessantly making the display impossible to refer to at a glance. The Tom Tom Website is a mess and frustrating to use.

It may look a lot but inreality for Tom Tom's first attempt at this type of unit entirley creditable. Stuff magazine have however completely trashed the 700 version in their oct/nov review.

Can anyone tell me if the POI uploader for the C320/C330 Street Pilot will work with my C310? The Garmin Website makes mention of this facullity but shows no links or other way of obtaining the software.

Having looked on the Garmin WebSite I note that there is a download available to upgrade to Version 4.7 of the software. Am I right in my assumption that this upgrade covers all country specific versions?

Your commments, insites and other musings received with thanks

SsndyMac
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can anyone tell me if the POI uploader for the C320/C330 Street Pilot will work with my C310?

i'm pretty sure it does

Quote:
The Garmin Website makes mention of this facullity but shows no links or other way of obtaining the software.

heres the link http://www.garmin.com/products/poiloader/
ASHERS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone else on this forum has already used the POI Loader to download the speed cameras and poi's successfully.

The update to 4.7 is actually listed on the Garmin website under downloads for the 320 as well!

I'm just about to order a C310, how have you found the full postcode search facility?
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SsandyMac, download the speed cam database modified be (MaFt) who's done a great job with these. They are intended for the new Garmin i3 but work brilliantly on the c310 as well and is extremely useful. I am sure that you'll be well impressed.
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the link to MaFt's great website for Garmin users.
http://www.MaFt.co.uk/garmin/
a2b
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: Garmin Street Pilot C310 Reply with quote

SsndyMac wrote:

Can anyone tell me if the POI uploader for the C320/C330 Street Pilot will work with my C310? The Garmin Website makes mention of this facullity but shows no links or other way of obtaining the software.
SsndyMac

I've used POI Loader without any problems.

I've not upgraded to version 4.7. If anyone else has done this I would be interested to know if its worth doing so.
Gazzabass
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I upgraded from 4.6 to 4.7 with no problems :D , maps do redraw quicker.
According to the read me notes you can add a waypoint to a route, but so far I cant!, Or I have miss read it.
Cheers

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: