Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ORANGE SPV M2000 and HOLUX CR100 dropped GPS.... FIX
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ORANGE SPV M2000 and HOLUX CR100 dropped GPS.... FIX

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: ORANGE SPV M2000 and HOLUX CR100 dropped GPS.... FIX Reply with quote

Bingo! Had a problem with my Holux CR100 cradle dropping its GPS whenever I plug in the headphones. On-going over several months. Has occured with various nav software and appeared to be a Holux issue but it isn't!

Graham at HOLUX gave me plenty of time on the phone recently and we discussed the problem. he couldn't understand it because they have several fleet users with the O2 equivalent of this phone (HTC Blue Angel) using it daily with no problems. Hence I considered the Orange version of the ROM.

With each mobile provider, the phone installs Windows Mobile 2003 to the PDA with all the drivers, then the final step is to add Service Provider specific apps and configs.

So here's what ya do:
Perform a hard reset (sorry!) and follow the usual steps of aligninging the screen, cut and paste examples etc. On completion of these steps the phone will give a message saying something like 'Windows will configure your device in 5 secs' . At this point, BEFORE it starts, do a soft reset. This prevents the Orange bits being installed but not much you'll miss. Its still a full installation. It just isn't 'customised' to Orange.

What you now have is a version of windows without all the bits that Orange throw on. Most of this I won't miss. The most inconvenient is losing MMS (picture messaging) but a 3rd party app will replace it if necessary. Phone works fine. Text messaging ok. Think I'll have to configure GPRS manually but its on the Orange website.

And the good news is, I've driven around for 20minutes or so with the headphones in, calling Orange's 150 number and all seems well. If you're not aflicted with this problem it probably doesn't seem too big a thing, but I arrived at my wits end recently. That September Friday when there were floods I was in central London in the rush hour. Terrible weather, unfamiliar route pleased I had the Nav. Then an important phone call comes in, headphones in, GPS lost. Next thing I take a wrong turning doing a tech support call, straight into a queue of traffic at White City where I sat stationary for over an hour. Grrrrrrrr. But the world seems a better place now!

I'm doing a 150-mile round trip later today so i'll give it a good battering with the headphones in and see if it holds up.

BTW My colleague has an M2000 with a Thinknavi cradle from Handtec and appears to have the same problem. As the thinknavi is connected to a GPS via Port 1 on the base of the phone and operates on the same principle it doesn't surprise me. Will ask hime to try it too.

I will inform Orange of the issue but I wouldn't hold your breath. They've already done one new ROM but it still includes this problem. Given the lifespan of phone these days I doubt it'll happen but we can pray.

Fingers crossed on this one. Any reports to back up appreciated to avoid me looking silly! :-)
Holux GPSslim
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW restore all your programs and clutter back to PDA with Active sync. one by one. If you do a restore from a backup I think you'll get the problem back although I am willing to be corrected here.
Holux GPSslim
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Done the round trip of 150Miles with headphones in all the way, several phone call etc, and setup never missed a beat in the GPS department. Destinator seemed to work better too with less lag although this may have been due to the Hard Reset.

But the trip did give me time to ponder on this a little and led me to thinking that not installing the ROM may be a sledgehammer to crack a nut. It might be that if we identify which programs the Orange specific elements install, then remove them one by one then perhaps we can pin it to a simple removal of one program.

I probably won't bother as it would involve anither hard reset which my schedule won't allow for a while. But maybe someone with the same problem can do that. Now why didn't I write down the programs list before I did a hard reset....... !??? Surprised
Holux GPSslim
JM-HoluxUK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time to post the fix.
Hope you remain pleased with the CR100.
Regards,
Julie
Holux UK Limited
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimbo_hippo wrote:
BTW restore all your programs and clutter back to PDA with Active sync. one by one. If you do a restore from a backup I think you'll get the problem back although

You don't need correcting on this one the advice is spot on - I did a similar thing a while back with the O2 XDA (same unit) and it made all the problems I had even worse - so anyone trying this be warned, the back up you have will just put the rubish back on the phone, not all of it and this is what makes it worse - some of the applications are there some are not so it causes it to continually lock up - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: