Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - XDAiis and Wanadoo Livebox WiFi
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

XDAiis and Wanadoo Livebox WiFi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maxi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: XDAiis and Wanadoo Livebox WiFi Reply with quote

Off Topic

I know its completely unrelated to GPS but was hoping that some of you may have one, or hopefully both, of the above and would be able to give me a detailed proccess of how to pair the two on WiFi. The XDA sees the Livebox but doesn't seem to be able to get a connection. I'd really like to be able to read Pocket GPS World from the comfort of my own armchair (thought I'd put that in so its a bit more GPS related Laughing )

Does anyone use WiFi on their XDA?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using wifi connection in the pub while replying, also use it at home with no problems anywhere in the house, you need to configure the wifi unit wanado supplied to enable shared connection, on the pc go to i.e. and type in to the url bar 192.168.1.1 this should open up the access point to allow configuration - check the supplied documents for user name password etc. - mike
Maxi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike. I dont suppose you've got one of these Livboxes have you? Any ideas what I'm supposed to configure? Also could do with some pointing in the right direction as far as the XDA Wireless settings are concerned. I've really very little idea what I'm doing as you can probably tell.... Exclamation
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont use the livebox my home tx unit is a lynk-sys the one in the pub is a netgear unit, and the XDA works with both. To setup the XDA you need nothing more than turn the wireless system on (bottom rh icon then select check box to turn the wireless LAN ON, then select OK top RH) this will dump youback to the front desktop screen but if you reselect the wireless icon it will show you the status - it sometimes can take 30 seconds to sync up. once connected - it will tell you the details on this screen so press OK and launch Internet Explorer - type in the URL you want it will have to be the full URL including http://www.pocketgpsworld.com for example - if the phone goes for the GPRS connection then the wireless isn't working as it should default to wi-fi once selected. Hope this is of some use - will be on MSN later if you need any further info - Mike (from the pub Again :D )
Maxi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, I'll check it out tonight - so I have to type in http as well do I? Gawd is it really that simple - I'll feel like a right dumbass if it is. Have a pint on me... Guinness
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be easy (shouldnt enerything) Check your PM for the other info - And watch for the phone trying to connect to GPRS - if does select cancel as it isn't working correctly - have fun - Mike
Maxi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got this sorted in the end - thanks for your replies Mike. Turned out the Livebox was fine it was one of the settings on the XDA that was wrong. I thought these things configured themselves automatically (which I suppose it did, it just configured itself wrong! Rolling Eyes )

Thanks again Thumbs Up
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear its all sorted, but I am interested in what was wrong on the IIs, as I have never experienced this with either unit I use - Mike (no guesses as to where from)
Maxi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was the Network Authentication configuration. If I remember rightly when the XDA configured itself it set it to 'WPA-PSK'. Somebody at Tekguru told me to set it to 'Open' and it worked! To be honest I dont know what any of these things mean Embarassed - I assume its something to do with the WEP key that I had to put in to allow me to connect. Does 'Open' mean I'm less secure than I would otherwise have been? Question Question Question

I also had to play around a bit with the network connection settings because with certain sites it was still trying to use GPRS to connect.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: