Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTN5 freezing up
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTN5 freezing up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bulldozer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: TTN5 freezing up Reply with quote

Hi,
I've been using TTN5 on my HP ipaq 2210 along with a GlobalSat SD GPS unit and TomTom5 installed on a compact flash card for a couple of months now but since last Thursday I keep on experiencing TomTom freezing up after starting my journey. The map stops moving as I drive and I end up performing a soft reset each time, only for exactly the same thing to happen again shortly later. The odd thing is that I used the set up in another vehicle on Saturday and I didn't have any problems. Has anyone got any idea as to what could cause TomTom to freeze in mid-use? Can some other electrical equipment or mobile phones etc in the car affect things? It's all very strange as it only started happening last week. The only thing that happened shortly before this all started was that my iPaq battery was completely discharged (it got accidentaly switched on in my bag) and required a full recharge before using again. Any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bulldozer Rolling Eyes
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe your machine is connected to the TomTom website :D

Sorry for the lame joke. Are you running version 5.1?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
MarkRD
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bulldozer,

This may be quite irrelevant, but it could be worth a try. I had a similar problem during the summer with TTN3.x, 2 different Bluetooth receivers and an Ipaq 3870. In my case I found the Bluetooth connection was recurrently frozen - no updating signal although TTN thought it was still paired so just froze the location at which it last worked.

As I was doing a lot of driving in Nevada/Arizona and Utah and after a while twigged that it never happened at night, I thought it might be the receiver overheating, but that didn't fit because putting it in the cold air stream from the A/C didn't make any difference. In the end I used a wired connection to the Holux GPSlim 236 which worked solidly. Then I read somewhere about turning off the IR receiver on the Ipaq. I did this and since then the bluetooth connection has worked perfectly under both TTN3 and TTN5.1 even in the brightest of sunshine. It appears that bright sunshine on the IR receiver can confuse the machine's communication ports. Could your difficulty in one car and not the other be something to do with mounting position and exposure of the Ipaq to sunshine?

I note that you are using a SD GPS unit so maybe this isn't your problem, but I suppose the IR receiver could still confuse things. Interestingly, the straight wired connection wasn't affected by the sunlight even with IR turned on.

Mark
Bulldozer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again,

Thanks for the info. I'm running v5.0 not 5.1.

It's just all very strange as everything has worked brilliantly for the last few months but just went haywire over the weekend. I just can't understand why it worked fine in 2 different cars (I was the passenger and had the pda in my hand) over several hours but then when back in my car and the unit is in a screen mounted cradle, it freezes up again. Just made me thing that there could be some kind of interference happening somehow Question

Guess I'll just have to give it a go on another journey and see how I get on unless anyone has any other theories.

Cheers,
John
MGTF
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I Had major issues with TT5 locking up on my IPAQ 5550 updateing to TT5.1 pretty much sorted all my issues out..

Cheers

MGTF
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulldog - Have you got a high level of noise from the alternator, it will be audible through the stereo system as a whine that varies in frequency relative to engine revs - if so get the car checked out by an auto electrician - this sort of noise creats RF noise that could be causing reception problems with the GPS - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: