Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Not finding any satellites
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Not finding any satellites

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Not finding any satellites Reply with quote

Just turned my GPSlim on today only to find it won't get a lock, it's only a month old, anyone any ideas?
Spies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't seem to edit my post to add more information.

But my bluetooth LED isn't flashing every second, more like every 3.
alistairm1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
The Bluetooth LED flashes every three seconds whan it has linked to another device, presumably your PDA. That is normal behaviour.
The lack of satellites is a bit more of a concern. However, this unit can fail to lock (mine used to but hasn't recently).
You do not mention how long you have left the unit looking for a lock, this can take some minutes, particularly if the unit has not been used for some time (although as yours is only a month old this is probably not the case) or if you have moved the unit from one location to another when switched off (I had this, and it took a while for it to find anything). When mine was new I had to take the battery out once or twice to try to force it to search for a lock; this usually worked but it took 10-15 mins to find the lock. Once it had found one it worked perfectly.
I hope you get this sorted out as the receiver itself is very good. (but frustrating at times like this)
Spies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At home I can get a lock, inside, but at work it turns out I can't. At lunch time I went outside and it acquired a signal however, not a very good one. I think because I work in a valley the mountains are blocking the signal from the satellites and so I'm not getting a reliable signal.

Thanks
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try takeing the battery out and leaving it for a few days if you can as this will force a factory reset if that doesnt work it maybe that the patch antena has gone and will need replacing

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
alistairm1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mountains and valleys may not be the explanation for this, but may have some bearing. I was using mine in Snowdonia a couple of weeks ago with no problems at all. The only thing that is possibly different is that mine was always in use, so when I turned it on I was in the same place where I turned it off. I don't know the technical details, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that the satellite data is stored in the receiver when you switch it off, so when you switch on again it "knows" where you are, and the satellites it can receive.
If you switch it off and then move it to a new location, when you switch it on again, it looks for the satellites it remembers, can't find them, and has to search for new signals. This search can take time and will be more difficult to get a fix; the same thing can happen in "urban canyons", where you are surrounded by tall buildings.

Try switching the unit on at home, getting a lock, and then keep the receiver on until you get to work. Then switch it off, and leave it 'till lunch-time. Then take the receiver outside, and switch it on.
I hope it will find a fix in less than a minute .

Good luck

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: