Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin I3 post code search
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin I3 post code search
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pigsy10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Garmin I3 post code search Reply with quote

I've got the I3 yesterday and so far I am impressed.

One question that I am hoping some one may be able to answer is how do I search for a full post code.

The post code search allows the first 4 or 5 digits to be entered but then the search facility dissapears and it asks for a house number.

What if there is no house number?
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
markyboy1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In reply to Pigsy... I too got mine yesterday we were 2 of the 150 people who got one following the latest delivery to Maplin... Re the postcode i too wondered about this, however having narrowed down the postcode with the first 4 digits, you then put the house number after that you get a list of options with more fuller postcodes or the street names, again enter the start of the street name, and then it appears on the left, highlight it and accept it. The unit then shows the full address including the postcode and you just click start navigating!

I have only used mine breifly yesterday around town, it recalculated quickly when i deliberately didnt go the way it suggested, sometimes doing its best to get me back on the track it wanted, whereas i knew if carried on my way it would be quicker after about 1/2 mile it gave up and decided to agree with my route. rather than taking me through side streets to get back onto its preferred main road.

I have downloaded the camera database, it has picked those up well, although a little confusing on a couple of occasions , alerting me for a camera on the other side of a dual carriageway and on another alerting me after i had passed it!

a nice little gadget though
pigsy10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.
I don't think the i3 can search for a full postcode as stated on the Maplin description.

For example if you want to search for a retail park without a street name and house number, where only the postcode is known, it can't find it.
markyboy1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i think you are correct in that assumption. You do need to know the street. It doesn't seem possible to simply enter a full postcode without knowing any other details. I wonder whether this is a common issue or just with this unit?
gazthomas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will find that some of the units have an old software version which doesn't allow full postcode searching - mine gives the same results as the original poster but i asked the same question on another forum and someone else got full postcode search. i asked which version they had and they had
version 2.3
Audio 2.00
where as mine delivered today had
version 2.10
Audio 2.00

as there is no download on the garmin site for i3 software i dont know what we can do now other than return them...
pigsy10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sent an email to Maplins asking where we can download the latest software.

At the very least they should supply us with an updated transflash card.
GetMeThere
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Garmin i3 came from the first units delivered to Maplin just over a week ago. My i3 has full postcode search and the software version is 2.3.

If your i3 from the second delivery to Maplin has software version 2.1 it looks like there may have been a problem with the software version loaded on that batch.
markyboy1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have just had an email from Garmin europe with an offer to downlaod the latest software v2.3 to enable the full postcode search. However in view of the freezing and hanging problems associated with this vesrion that other users are experiencing, I was after querying with them advised to wait for the revised software update. I take the view that V2.1 is better working without crashing than updating to the faulty V2.3. I think you will find that it is only users with V2.3 that are having problems freezing. He did say that when the new update was ready registered users who have asked to be emailed when an update is issued would be informed. Fingers crossed won't be too long
pigsy10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After waiting for 20 minutes I spoke to Garmin today and they e mailed me the software version 2.3 update.

I have installed it and it can now do full postcode search.

I will try it tomorrow and post any problems with crashes and freezes.

If you are installing on XP, after unzipping file you need to right click on the folder and under properties, unblock it.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i found that you need to put the 'space' in between the 1st 4 and last 3 characters of the postcode - is this where you were getting stuck?

i.e. BD133QX would not work, BUT: BD13 3QX does.
pigsy10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem was that I had version 2.1 software and now that I have downloaded version 2.3 I can search for full post code.

However, as mentioned previously version 2.3 is a bit unstable and the i3 froze twice today.

Hopefully the updated version which Garmin have promised to distribute shortly will sort the problem out.
Trafficman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read the i3 manual online and I can't see how you search on the postcode. How do you do this?
pigsy10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming that you have software version 2.4 installed, after 'where to', 'Address', select country and scroll in the postcode with the space.

After highlighting the postcode, scroll in the house number.
KINH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,
Yes another GPS virgin i'm afraid, i have been viewing these posts for several days now and most of my questions have been answered on my new toy(thank god you know what you are doing!)
The only question i'm still looking for an answer on seems to have been posted in this forum with no definitive response (if there is one?).
I am running on the latest 2.4 software but i seem to still be unable to select locations that have no house number. For example i can enter the 7 digit postcode fine but the what if i am searching for a company, pub, shop, retail park etc that doesn't have a house number.
I have tried looking in the defaulted locations stored but the locations i am looking for are not allways there. Question
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kinh..just a thought ,why not enter '0' or '1' for the house number when looking for a retail park for instance..

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: