Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TOMTOM GO OR GARMIN C320
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TOMTOM GO OR GARMIN C320

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nazimyounis
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: TOMTOM GO OR GARMIN C320 Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
I need some advice, I am thinking of getting a Sat Nav system for my cousin. Can you tell me which device is better

TOMTOM Go 500 or Garmin StreetPilot C320

When I say better I mean the quality of the unit as well as maps and routing.

As always thanks in advance

ex - TOMTOM Nokia N95
ex - TOMTOM GO 700
ex - TOMTOM Navigator 5 on XDA IIi
ex - TOMTOM Navigator 3 on XDA II
ex - TOMTOM Navigator 3 on XDA
rossb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The C320 has the better Navteq maps. It also has the European maps to street level included on CD. The GO 500 only has "major roads" of Europe, but UK to street level.

I havent seen a tomtom being used. The two units are physically very similar. Both seem to have good stereo sound, 3D graphics.

The tomtom has traffic information, but from comments on the forum, it is not that great(due to poor information supplied to tomtom).
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoken like a C320 owner!

I've got a C330 and GO 500 in front of me here. They are almost identical in size.

Firstly the C320 is a better match to the GO300 as it has UK Mapping only ands cost is similar.

The C330 is a match for the GO700 and again costs are similar.

Maps. Forget what you read, Navteq and TeleAtlas are as close as can be. I have two identical systems here for testing that use the same software but one has Navteq and the other TeleAtlas map data. Each has errors and in general are as good as each other overall. I've always claimed the Navteq/TeleAtlas debate was just hype and tests back this up.

Operation. Garmin have done a good job, its easy to use and has a nice bright display, slightly crisper than the GO. There is less scope for customisation of the C320 and it lacks 7 Digit PostCodes, Bluetooth handsfree and Traffic. I use Traffic regularly as I travel the M25 for my sins and whilst not perfect it has saved my bacon on many occasions.

The C330 has Europe wide mapping to street level, the GO700 has the same coverage

If I were buying? I'd get the GO700 if I needed Europe coverage, it has a 2.5GB HDD and a remote. If I didn't need that detail I'd get the 500 and save £150.

The Garmin's a good start but it doesn't have the wide user base, customisation and other features that make the GO stand out.
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin c320 is easier to use with a slightly better build quality and definitely better customer support. Garmin has also recently introduced POI customisation and Postcode support will soon be available. This is in addition to that face that it has europe wide coverage as a standard.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almahadeus wrote:
Garmin c320 is easier to use with a slightly better build quality and definitely better customer support. Garmin has also recently introduced POI customisation and Postcode support will soon be available. This is in addition to that face that it has europe wide coverage as a standard.

My understanding is that it is the c330 that has Europe coverage, the c320 is UK & NI only?
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Almahadeus wrote:

My understanding is that it is the c330 that has Europe coverage, the c320 is UK & NI only?

The whole of Europe map is available to c320 users on the CD supplied and you can upload whatever map to the device as long as you have enough capacity on the SD card.
Jaz666
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the C310 which is UK and Eire only.

As a retailer, the way I measure which is best is by the amount of returns.
If you saw the mountain of faulty Tom Toms (original and new models) sitting at our head office you'd have a heart attack!
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Maps. Forget what you read, Navteq and TeleAtlas are as close as can be. .... I've always claimed the Navteq/TeleAtlas debate was just hype and tests back this up.

It is my understanding that the Navteq Ireland coverage is far ahead of TeleAtlas. Is this still true?
jd2005
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy,
Yes - Navteq are streets ahead of TeleAltas! I have both a Navman 520 with SmartSt 2005 and a Garmin c320. In general the main urban areas are mapped and there is not much between them. Once you get out of the cities though the Navman is pretty much useless. The Garmin with V7 of City Select has considerable more coverage but still has some way to go. I am looking forward to V8 of City Select. I also heard that Navteq plan to have the whole of Ireland mapped by the end of the year.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: