Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Adds Sony Ericsson P910 Support to Mobile 5
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Adds Sony Ericsson P910 Support to Mobile 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ksiski
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ought to add that having used the P910i for a little longer it is growing on me!
ramzez
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, i wonder if route calculation is as slow as on series 60 devices. after looking at the speed of navicore really confused.

screenshots anyone?
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramzez wrote:
Finally, i wonder if route calculation is as slow as on series 60 devices. after looking at the speed of navicore really confused.

screenshots anyone?

It isnt available for beta testing yet so screen shots will be some time coming.
ChrisB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a Wayfinder user for 2+ years, but am tiring of their inability to sort the stability issues in map view on UIQ and their patchy development support for UIQ.

As a result I'm very interested in switching to TT5, even though it means buying another bluetooth GPS which I don't actually need Wink .

I have a 910i with 512 MS Duo Pro and am currently undecided between Route 66, TT5 and also Navicore seems to be getting good reviews.

I think at the moment TT5 is probably my first choice, although when you start adding in the extras like european maps and traffic it starts looking pricey imho.

Anyone know of any good head to head reviews of Route66, TT5 and Navicore on the P910i?

The P910i are great phone / PDA's by the way - much more portable than the likes of the XDA's, very stable and with the Likes of DataViz's DocumentsToGo, the Opera web browser and a built in sat nav solution its a really well rounded device. Add a BT external keyboard and you can use as a laptop substitute for emails and web browsing on the go.

Cheers,

Chris
Nords
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

I have the same dilemma. Route 66 doesn't do external POI so I have discounted it, but undecided between Navicore and TT. Navicore is tipping the balance. There is a review of it (not depth - 2 pages) in PDA buyer(? - one of them anyway) this month. Darren - yours?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but heavily sub-edited to fit the magazine Sad Navicore is superb, a fantastic UI and very well 'sorted'.

I would be very hard pushed to choose between them although I guess UK PostCodes, the wider user base and 3rd party POI's available may just tip the balance in favour of TomTom.
gregh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how's the sound on the P910i with TT5? does it use the hands free connection for spoken instructions?

regards,

greg
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a handsfree to test it with, Mike does, I'll ask.....
Nords
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nords wrote:
Chris,

I have the same dilemma. Route 66 doesn't do external POI so I have discounted it, but undecided between Navicore and TT. Navicore is tipping the balance. There is a review of it (not depth - 2 pages) in PDA buyer(? - one of them anyway) this month. Darren - yours?

Whoops, PDA Essentials Issue 41 if people are interested. Good review but it is a shame to have a big and small picture of the LEDs on the bluetooth receiver and a large closeup of the mains charging plug. I can't believe they didn't put in a picture of the software working!!

Keep up the good work Darren, I bought that magazine purely for your review (and to read on the plane as I go on holiday)! 5 figure postcodes don't worry me too much and I'm tempted to go for the 'under-dog'. I'll probably wait until your review of TT for the P910i if it's soon (any ideas on timeframe?)

:D
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nords wrote:
Keep up the good work Darren, I bought that magazine purely for your review (and to read on the plane as I go on holiday)! 5 figure postcodes don't worry me too much and I'm tempted to go for the 'under-dog'. I'll probably wait until your review of TT for the P910i if it's soon (any ideas on timeframe?)

Under way Smile
ChrisB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look forward to seeing more P910i based reviews - its just too close to call for me at the moment.

Darren - you seem to have tried most of the available options for the P910i? Sounds like you rate TT5 and Navicore as above R66 - would that be a fair assessment?

Whilst I like the idea of free traffic and European map coverage out of the box (the big plusses of R66), I am also keen to get the user POI and audible alerts of TT5. As Navicore also supports user entered POI's I guess maybe some kind of conversion process between the TT based speed camera POI database and Navicore might be possible?

Am I also right in thinking that at this time Navicore on Symbian UIQ DOESN'T support traffic based routing?

I think by the sounds of it its going to come down to price and the stability / performance comparison between Navicore and TT5 for me.

Having said that the TT5 GPS looks damn sexy and the battery life is also near twice that of my current GPS which will be nice. In the past I have had the original RoutePlanner software (when TT was Palmtop) on my Psion Series 5 which was for the time a great app, and also TT on PocketPC a few years ago which was also a good app, although custy service was not TT's strongpoint back then. Hopefully that has improved in the intervening years.

Anyone have any indication of the likely relative price of the TT5 European mapping package - are we talking twice the UK price do you think for example? Wondering if its worth hanging on for that to be released rather than diving straight in with the UK only package.

Would be nice if TT could offer full European map coverage in some form of time limited format at much cheaper prices. I for one probably only need European map coverage maybe for a 2-3 week period once or twice a year. I wouldn't mind paying 10-20GBP for the ability to use time limited maps and traffic info for this time.

Cheers,

Chris
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisB wrote:
I look forward to seeing more P910i based reviews - its just too close to call for me at the moment.

Darren - you seem to have tried most of the available options for the P910i? Sounds like you rate TT5 and Navicore as above R66 - would that be a fair assessment?

Yes.
Quote:
Whilst I like the idea of free traffic and European map coverage out of the box (the big plusses of R66), I am also keen to get the user POI and audible alerts of TT5. As Navicore also supports user entered POI's I guess maybe some kind of conversion process between the TT based speed camera POI database and Navicore might be possible?

It is and Navicore have created a tool to achive just that.
Quote:
Am I also right in thinking that at this time Navicore on Symbian UIQ DOESN'T support traffic based routing?

I haven't received the UIQ version of Navicore yet so can't comment. I should have a copy this week.
adhsmith
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how annoying is this, being a p800 user for a couple of years I waited and waited for TT to come out on UIQ, I didn't even mind the fact that I would have to change phone to run it as my p800 has had quite some use and I needed the extra memory storage etc. July I got fed up of waiting and bought an Eten M500 as its replacement, I'm gutted as I dislike the OS, its UI feels slow and cumbersome compared to the old p800, the phone software on the Eten including the BT handfrees vioce stuff is not a patch on the Sony device, I wish I had known this was actually coming out I assumed they had dropped it. Sad perhaps I'll ebay my Eten.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D'ya wanna swap! I have tried and tried to get to like the P910i but I hate it. I reviewed the Eten M500 and thought it was a great little unit Crying or Very sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: