Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Streetmap c320 Post Code Search
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Streetmap c320 Post Code Search
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
michaelfairburn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Streetmap c320 Post Code Search Reply with quote

Sorry if this is a re-posted topic, but does anyone know if Garmin are planning to update the firmware on their Streetpilot series to include a postcode search? The information is already in the system, so it shouldn't be a big problem. Thanks, Mike
ChriX
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E-mail them and ask for it.

techsupp@garmin.com

Maybe if enough people do then we stand a chance of getting this feature.
michaelfairburn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Well, I e-mailed them.....! Reply with quote

I did as suggested and e-mailed Garmin tech support and this is the answer I got:

>Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I'm not aware of any plans to add this feature to the C320. However I will submit your suggestion to the
powers that be. Thank you. <

Ah well, we can but hope.

Mike
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: POI loader Reply with quote

Hi everybody, with the new POI loader released by Garmin for the c320 and c330, I believe it would only be a matter of time before some GPS boffins could come up with a method to translate post codes into various POI and incorporate these into Garmin's POI search.
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Post code search for Garmin Reply with quote

Hi again, as a matter of fact and after looking at how the new POI loader from Garmin works, it seems extremely easy (although time consuming) to create a CSV file with all the post codes in the UK identified by longitude and latitude obtained from something like (streetmap.co.uk) or other similar services.
It could well be that such post code database is already in existance.
ChriX
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm failing to see how having postcodes as a POI database would be of any use, you can't search your custom POIs, and you can only see the 50 closest to your location on the list. Besides, with the amount of different postcodes, you would barely be able to see the map for POI icons.

All that is needed is firmware update to add a menu to search the postcode info already stored in the unit.
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Postcodes Reply with quote

You are right chrisX, it would be a very very long list but you don't have to associate your POIs with any icons. I've just uploaded the speed camera database on the Garmin without any icons (I didn't know how to upload the bmp files) and it is working fine but with no icons (only alerts). In terms of searching for the customised POI, I also agree that it may require a firmware update although I for some reason thought that you could search them as usual (by spelling) but that is something I'll check this weekend hopefully.
ChriX
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get the icons to work, just put the .bmp with the same name as the .csv in the same directory as the .csv before you upload the POIs. I personally used the .csvs split into the speed of the zone the camera is in, and the icons that have the speed written on them, it works well.

I wouldn't rely on it too much though, i've noticed that it notifys me of mobile sites as i'm right next to the place where they usually sit. Also found some fixed cameras that aren't in the database, but I have no way of knowing their exact location now, so can't submit them. Sad
Jaz666
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There maybe light at the end of the tunnel.
Garmin have added full postcode search to the UK version of the new i2/i3 - so if we keep on pestering them, they might add the feature to some of their other products!
johnkath
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, if they issue for existing owners a download which incorporates the new POI feature, use of Post Codes and a Traf-Cam upgrade It would really make a difference and deal a blow to some of the other similar contenders.

I do like the the idea though of being able to map out a route on the computer first though. It would also be a good idea if you could program the SD card in the computer rather than connect up to the c320 - those little plugs and sockets are not to clever!

The next few weeks could be interesting, consolidating is the name of the game!

John 8)
jackpohare
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:30 am    Post subject: C310 will (apparently) have full postcode Reply with quote

I am trying to choose a new GPS and was heading for c320 until I discoverd it had no postcode.

However I stumbled acroos this -
http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/38241

Seems the C310 will do postcode - which I would hope may increase the light at the end of the tunnel for you c320 owners.

Can anyone see at a glance what the differences between the c10 and c320 will be - it gets harder and harder to tell these thing apart. 8O
Jaz666
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From memory.....

The 310 has it's Maps already on the SD Card, but you don't get the City Select Software.
To add more maps you have to buy that region on SD - bit like Tom Tom.

The i2/i3 do come with the software in the box.
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: C310 will (apparently) have full postcode Reply with quote

jackpohare wrote:
I am trying to choose a new GPS and was heading for c320 until I discoverd it had no postcode.

However I stumbled acroos this -
http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/38241

Seems the C310 will do postcode - which I would hope may increase the light at the end of the tunnel for you c320 owners.

Can anyone see at a glance what the differences between the c10 and c320 will be - it gets harder and harder to tell these thing apart. 8O

This seems to be like great news as it seems that the c310 is almost identical to the c320 in specification although only a step lower in the ladder of the c-series in that the maps are limited and therefore the whole thing would be slightly more affordable. The only thing is that looking at the c340 on the Garmin's website (which appears to be the most advanced of the c-series), there doesn't seem to be any mention of postcode searches which is slightly disconcerting.
jackpohare
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...in that the maps are limited...

Can you elucidate a bit on what you mean - I know the 310 will be cheaper so I have to presume you get less, but I am struggling to figure if that less is relevant.

Do you mean it comes with less maps (310 is uK, 320 UK + Europe ??) or that there is something that limits the use of additional maps in some way ?

I ask because I already have Garmin Metroguide for Europe for my ancient eMap - I am presuming I can load these maps onto the 310 - not fussed if I have to buy a memory card.

I have to imagine that when this comes out an upgrades for the whole series to support post code search will not be far behind.
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Garmin maps Reply with quote

You are right. It looks like the c310 will come with maps of the UK only loaded onto the SD Card and that is it. You should be able however to use all other functionalities as they appear to have identical specifications otherwise.
The c320 (which I own) comes with the UK maps uploaded onto the card but also comes with a CD that contains the maps for the rest of europe which you can install on the device (provided you have enough memory space). I am not sure however that you can use your (Metroguide) on the c-series and this is something you'll probably have to clarify with Garmin.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: