Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI website
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI website

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
welsey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: POI website Reply with quote

hello everybody :D i found this website http://www.poidownload.co.uk/ i have dloaded a few POI's the file arrives as .asc can this work direct in the navman 510 i did convert it to a .ov2 and then to a .csv on all occasions navman was unable to read the file. i know the ov2 is for tom tom.

Any help would be very thank full

Welsey :D
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Navman POIEditor can read .asc files if they follow the

Long, Lat, "Name" format.

You may well have to edit the top line as per .csv files and you'll still have to use Notepad to do it.
welsey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how the file looks.

WP04 54.39482 -0.70487 10 Abbots House Farm - 01947 896270 0 1 WP04 53.00901 -4.3883 10 Aberafon Camping - 01286 660295 0 1

Do i have to delete some columns ?or name them like you have said Long, Lat, "Name" format ? sorry not sure what to do here Rolling Eyes

thanks
Welsey
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you'll have to edit them, I think. The Navman POIEditor needs to be presented with the information in Long, Lat, "Name" so your file would need editing to read something like:-

-0.70487, 54.39482, "Abbots House Farm"
-4.3883, 53.00901, "Aberafon Camping "

etc.

You need to lose the WP04 from the beginning, the 10 from the middle and the 0 1 from the end. You could possibly add the telephone number inside the quote marks but this would make for a very long name.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, after a quick experiment, you'll be pleased to know that conversion from this version of .asc to .csv is really easy. First of all, get Oldie's POIConverter programme from here.

Install it to its default directory and run it.

Navigate to your .asc file and open that file.

Save the file as an Autoroute Pushpin .csv file.

Open the resultant .csv file using Notepad.

Add a ; to the beginning of the top line (Long, Lat, "Name", "".

Save the file.

Use Navman POIEditor to export the final .csv file to your device.
RonS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone any ideas that would help me load large POI files to my iCN510?
I can load the GATSO files and many others with no problem, but when I try to load large files (above 1 MB) like the POISoft postcode files, the POI Editor just appears to hang, or run very, very slowly. There is ample space on my SD card, which is a Lexar 32x 256 MB type that works quite satisfactorily in my digital camera and appears to be OK in the iCN510.

I have aked for help from both Navman and POISoft and neither have been able to solve the problem. The Navman tech support doesn't seem able to read beyond the first lines of any explanation!
Synth
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same thing when loading the postcode data from POIsoft. I left it running overnight; it seems to take a long time to process before uploading to the 510.
RonS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At last Navman tech support came up with the answer. It seems that SmartST can't cope with file that contain more than 65000 lines - the same limit as Excel worksheets. If the database files are split into smaller files within this size limit, then they can be converted from .csv format and saved to the iCN510 in MYPOI. The conversion is still a very, very slow process.

Ron
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the PoiSoft postcode overlays are split into ten regions, how many lines do each of them contain? I know they are 4MB in size each.

PoiSoft claim "All of our customers that have purchased the postcode software have been 100% happy" suggesting that they either work with Navman SmartSTv3 or no one using Navman has complained that they dont.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
RonS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The total number of lines in one Postcode file (South Central) is just over 173,000. So far I have divided this .csv file into 4 more or less equal .csv files by cutting & pasting using Notepad and judging the portion sizes by eye using the righthand scrollbar as a guide. For safety, make a copy of the original file and save it with 'read-only' attribute before messing around.

The main problem then is searching through all the POI files in the Navman to find the postcode you want - this can be quite tedious. To make it a bit easier I am trying to sort the postcodes into more recognisable groupings using Excel, but have someway to go yet. Does anyone have a brighter idea?

BTW, Steve at POISoft is very helpfull and approachable.

Ron
AndyT328
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HELP!!!
Can someone please give a step by step guide to load these postcodes as I also have problems loading all these postcodes ,my system seems to hangs when the pc is transferring the postcodes to my navman.
POI Options settings eg. Visual alert?. audio alert?,Icon file ? so on and so on....
Synth,Did you actually leave your navman loading overnight for the FULL area postcode in one hit?or did you get ALL areas loaded?
RonS, how many POI can the navman 510 take?
Enough to take these postcode areas in sections?
Just need clarification on these points

Many Many Thanks
AndyT
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonS wrote:
The main problem then is searching through all the POI files in the Navman to find the postcode you want - this can be quite tedious. To make it a bit easier I am trying to sort the postcodes into more recognisable groupings using Excel, but have someway to go yet. Does anyone have a brighter idea?Ron

How do you enter the postcode you want when the software is downloaded? Do you not enter it in the postcode search option but put in the whole thing instead of the first five letters?
RonS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyT - I think the only limit is the size of your SD card and how many categories you have the patience to scroll through.

Simon1 - To find a postcode (say WD123QT) in the postcode file Anglia that has been divided into 4 parts, you go to Main Menu - Destination - Points of Interest - Category: My POI - Type: Anglia1 - Page - WD123QT. Note, enter the postcode without a space. If the postcode is not in Anglia1, then go to Anglia2, or Anglia3, or, etc.,

One difficulty I have found is that the .csv file names are not very accurate geographically. For example, WD postcodes belong to Watford, Herts., and they are located in the file Anglia.csv.

I am afraid that I find this postcode overlay system very inconvenient and shall probably not use it after all.

Ron
whitty1608
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: POI website Reply with quote

welsey wrote:
hello everybody :D i found this website http://www.poidownload.co.uk/ i have dloaded a few POI's the file arrives as .asc can this work direct in the navman 510 i did convert it to a .ov2 and then to a .csv on all occasions navman was unable to read the file. i know the ov2 is for tom tom.

Any help would be very thank full

Welsey :D

Found another web site listed on diffrent forum with POI's allready converted for down loading to Navman www.getoutguide.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/poidownloads/

Hope you find it usefull
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonS wrote:
I am afraid that I find this postcode overlay system very inconvenient and shall probably not use it after all.

RonS - Did you get my PM?

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: