Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PDA with GPS reliable?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PDA with GPS reliable?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donald
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delboy102 wrote:
Ah I see
I was just about to buy everything today however I thought I better double check that my cigarette socket was working, I got my dads electric air compressor and plugged it in and... :o
the connection was very poor, i couldnt plug it in fully, I had to hold the connector to insure power was getting to the compressor, when I let go the air compressor just stopped working, not good Sad .
I'm thinking of ordering the arkon mount only first and see how the connection is, it probably wont be good, I would of thought my 94 nissan sunny would use standard connectors!.
It appears as though the connector is too tight as the lead wont slot in fully, i have to hold it against the connector for it to work

I might phone up a mechanic or something and see if it can be replaced (great, more costs!) as I really wanted/needed to run it on car power.

Hiya chum

Ciggy sockets on cars do have a habit of being unreliable, especially if used by a smoker! The center connection gets burnt and grotty....

A much cheaper solution than getting an engineer to replace the socket is to visit your local car accessory shop and buy a ciggy socket seperately that is connected by wire with a couple of crock clips - I cut the crock clips off and put on a seperate connector system 'coz I use external batteries for various things (radios, cameras gps etc)

The photo shows the Axim X50 on our conservatory window, running from a rechargable battery - note the black connector - that takes the Arkon plug.
http://www.websilk.co.uk/arkon/socket-plug.jpg

The next pic shows the detail of the seperate ciggy connector that you can get - costs about £5. I suggest you wire it into the car batteryVIA A FUSE.

http://www.websilk.co.uk/arkon/socket-plug.jpg

Hope that is useful info DellBoy
Donald
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donald wrote:

The photo shows the Axim X50 on our conservatory window, running from a rechargable battery - note the black connector - that takes the Arkon plug.
www.websilk.co.uk/arkon/socket-plug.jpg

The next pic shows the detail of the seperate ciggy connector that you can get - costs about £5. I suggest you wire it into the car batteryVIA A FUSE.

www.websilk.co.uk/arkon/socket-plug.jpg

Hope that is useful info DellBoy

Embarassed I should have given the following URL first: It shows the Axim running fron an external battery using the cinnector I suggest you get.

www.websilk.co.uk/arkon/X50-on-external-battery.jpg

cheers
delboy102
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot mate Smile
I went into halfords and they do sell a socket (didnt have crock clips on it, however prolly dont need em), he was telling me there are 2 main types of socket and I probably have the "other" one.
What I'll do is order the mount first and see if it fits onto my socket properly, if it doesnt I will just buy the socket from halfords and replace my existing one or maybe try and mount it elsewhere on the car, by the way do you use one of these sockets for your arkon mount or do you use your cars original socket (just want to make sure I will be able to get it to work after purchasing everything)
a friend said I should be able to wire it to my fusebox so that might be a possibility, after it is made sure that the mount will connect to the socket i'll finally get the PDA.
PS those 2 links link to the same image

Thx for the info, much appreciated!! Smile, it'll be a relief once I get everything working.
delboy102
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoops, looks like I posted too late (you corrected the link just as I replied!)
Wesley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Donald"]
delboy102 wrote:
The photo shows the Axim X50 on our conservatory window, running from a rechargable battery

Nice pic. Do you keep track of all of your home's travels, or only the conservatory's? :D
Donald
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delboy102 wrote:
Thanks a lot mate Smile

.... by the way do you use one of these sockets for your arkon mount or do you use your cars original socket (just want to make sure I will be able to get it to work after purchasing everything)....

Thx for the info, much appreciated!! Smile, it'll be a relief once I get everything working.

Hi DelBoy
No I do not use that extenal connector in the car, I have a fairly new one that has never had a ciggy lighter, so I use that one. The connector that comes with the Arkon is the same one that is in the photo. It has 4 very strong grounding springs that grips the barrel of the car socket very tightly. no fear of it working loose.

The spare connector Barrel that I use is to be able to run 'car accessories' from various batteries that I have. I am also into radio communications and electronics and digital photography and often run my camera from a sealed gell unit. Very useful

(I also put a 'slim line' 12v sealed gell battery in a bum bag and run various kit from that!)

Anyway - I hope that your endevours work out well for you...

Cheers Matey
Donald
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Wesley"]
Donald wrote:
delboy102 wrote:
The photo shows the Axim X50 on our conservatory window, running from a rechargable battery

Nice pic. Do you keep track of all of your home's travels, or only the conservatory's? :D

Thanks :D - But no, I don't log ALL the conservatories travels - only the office desk! Wink
Donald
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: I have the same problem with my h2215 and the Fortuna Reply with quote

ducky wrote:
Pocket Track. I tried using com 1 and 4800 with iGuidance.

any idea on how to make it works.

ducky

Hiya Ducky

As a newby you may not know that you should press the button "New Topic", Give it a meaningful title and ask your question. Thus starting a thread with YOUR query.

You should never ask a question within a topic that is not associated with that topic. By doing so, others could respond to your question and take the topic off subject thus userping the original.

Please do not respond to this post. Keep this thread ON topic.

Thanks
ducky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: I have the same problem with my h2215 and the Fortuna Reply with quote

Pocket Track. I tried using com 1 and 4800 with iGuidance.

any idea on how to make it works.

ducky
delboy102
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Donald, just a quick update.
I'v just received the mount I ordered, and luckily it fits perfectly onto my cigarette socket, a nice tight connection, the arkon plug is very well made.

heres a pic of the connection:

heres a pic of the mount itself, I will probably mount it to the right as thats where I get the best visibility of the road and PDA (my first plan was to mount on the middle).

Right now that I know I can power it up its time to order the PDA and SD card.
this is the card I am going to go for:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=74696&item=7532774866&tc=photo

Was going to go for a 1GB, however this 512mb is high speed hence should provide better performance, the capacity should be fine as well (only going to be using GB maps)
if your curious to see why I kept looking for a toshiba card it was because of this site: http://sdprob.aximsite.com/theproblemlist.htm

I'll let you know how I get on once I receive all the bits Smile

Thx again
Donald
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK DelBoy

Great - certainly looks good. That Arkon plug really holds in the ciggy lighter very well - no way will it accidently fall out.

I will look at the SD card info later on - I'm in procedd of installing XP on another machine that I want to add to the home WiFi network.

Thanks for the info...

Cheers

PS: when you add photos, If you can, pass them through a photo editor and reduce their size to about 450 pixels over teh widest dimention. Makes for a quicket download for those poor modem users Crying or Very sad
delboy102
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah sure, no you dont need to look at SD card info, its not important, it was just if you were curious, Laughing Out Loud.
yeah I realised after I posted!, I did actually pass them thru editor to compress them better however when I lowered the resolution from something like 2048 it still came out pretty big, however something for next time!.

Cheers
Donald
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Dell Mount Reply with quote

crabbie wrote:
Hello to you both i have found this mount for the Dell X30 not to sure if it is better or worse can you please have a look and tell me your thoughts on this

Price is £92.82 Inc Vat

http://www.totalpda.co.uk/product5175_0.aspx

Thanks
Crabbie

Hiya Crabbie

I don't have personal experience of this unit. It has all the attributes I would want in a cradle - built in GPS and Speaker amplifier.

I have not heard/read anything detrimental about either the product or the supplier. I would happily buy it for an X3.

NOTE THAT: it is for an X3 NOT the X30. I am not sure if the X3 & X30 connector is common/compatible. You MUST check it out.

I also advise you to check your car windscreen specification. If you have an electrically heated screen and/or it is UV reflective, the GPS signal can/may be attenuated by it. therefore the built in GPS RX may not perform as well as a seperate rx on the back parcel shelf of by a non heated window.

HTH

regards
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what your looking at is a cr100 i have one it shoud be ok with a heated front screen onits own its usually heatreflective windscreen that give problems
if thats what your going for i get it with out the external areial and see how it goes if you want a better mount for if then an tomtom ipaq mount or xda car mount from o2 will give a better holder with a little modification

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: