Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Map moving in jerks and not moving smoothly?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Map moving in jerks and not moving smoothly?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
newmikey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject: Map moving in jerks and not moving smoothly? Reply with quote

I experienced the following:

TT5 freshly installed has this incredibly smooth scroll around corners and roundabouts with the whole map slowly rotating into the new direction. As soon as I included my TT3 speedcam files on the memory card the screenspeed went back to the jerky pre-5 days.

I inspected both the poi and bmp files associated with the speedcam(and other) POI's. The poi-file itself is identical, but the associated bmp file differs from the TT3 files in size and number of colors. TT3 had 24bpp 22x22 pixel bitmaps, TT5 seems to have 256 color 16x16 pixel icons. Also, the screen slows down when calculating too many POI's.

Now, I checked whether this was a function of cardsize (used the Benelux map on 128, 256 and 512Mb cards): it is not, or not noticably so.

I also checked whether there is a connection with cardspeed. I have only a superslow 512 Kingston CF and a 45x reasonably fast noname 256 out of my camera. No effect noticed.

To the POI files themselves:
Old bitmaps (22x22 24bpp) shown on screen - screen moves in jerks
Old bitmaps (22x22 24bpp) not shown on screen but picked up by the warning system - screen also moves in jerks
New bitmaps (16x16 8bpp) shown on screen - screen moves in jerks
New bitmaps (16x16 8bpp) not shown on screen but picked up by the TT5 proximity warning - PRESTO! The screen scrolls silky smooth.

I did notice a correlation with the poi file size (not the bitmap). Anything over 100Kb sends the screen back to jerky motion.

So here's the solution I worked out:
1) Make sure you copy the mapdata over on a freshly formatted card, do not add any POI files.
2) Run TT5 and choose to make a new POI category.
3) Name the category anything you like. If you use a space in the name on the TT5 keyboard, the resulting filename will contain an underscore character in that place.
4) Choose one of TT5's built-in bitmap icons to represent the category.
5) Repeat 2,3 and 4 for as many categories as you have POI files.
6) You now have an x-number of bitmap icons with their associated POI files in the map-directory. The POI-files show 0 size. (they are still empty)
7) Now rename the POI-files on your computer to the exact same names as the ones on the memory card. Remember to replace spaces with underscores! (The difference may be hard to see when the file is selected.
8) Copy over the POI files only! Discard the associated bmp icons on your computer.
9) Run TT5 and choose to show as many POI's as you want shown on the map BUT NOT the imported ones!
10) Set the proximity detector warning sounds for the imported categories.

That's it! The map will scroll as smooth as before, the radar warnings will show up only when they come in range. Your roundabouts will never be the same again.

I hope this may be of help, if it's already posted somewhere else on this forum please excuse me.
Skids
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info.

I have actually uninstalled TTN5 and have put back TTN3 but I may give it another try now.

I still think it is pretty rubbish though that a newer version cannot cope with something that the old one did with no problems whatsoever.
spile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can the jerky / smooth effect be tested using Demo mode?
newmikey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bl wrote:
Can the jerky / smooth effect be tested using Demo mode?

Yes, in all my tests the route demo mode reacted identical to the final real life navigation on the road.
spile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be me but using the speed camera database POI (presumably old format BMP?), I can't tell any difference in smoothness between POI on and POI off?
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats an interesting post, I shall have to read it again to fully understand it.

TTN5 is obviously refreshing the screen more frequently to achieve the smooth scrolling and must be accessing the POI files on every refresh, hence much slower.

A very simple solution which works for me is to "Hide POI" for the navigator view, you get full speed scrolling and the "Warn when near POI" still works. The POI also still shows on screen when in range even with "Hide POI" enabled.

Roger
newmikey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bl wrote:
It may be me but using the speed camera database POI (presumably old format BMP?), I can't tell any difference in smoothness between POI on and POI off?

The BMP is just the file containing the bitmap icon that represents the POI category on the map.

I guess the jerkiness is also a function of the number of POI's in any given file. I have the speedcams for all speeds combined into one file per country and that amounts to as many as little as 10 speedcams for Luxembourg(nice country isn't it?) or as many as 1714 for the Netherlands and 2458 ! for Germany.

Just did a test to confirm 2 minutes ago: If I take the France-plus map and selectively enable/disable the speedcam files (NL, FR, BE, LU on the CF card) these are the results:

* No speedcam files enabled - smooth scrolling
* Only speedcams France enabled - kind of mix, smooth scroll for 30 meters, jerk ahead, smooth scroll, jerk etc.
* All speedcams enabled - jerk, jerk, jerk

I decided to have all of the files for the countries I am passing through on my way to, let's say Paris disabled for map-showing, but enabled for the proximity warning at 400 meters.

This way I get the best of both worlds: good scroll speed and any speedcam that gets picked up by the built-in proximity warner pops up on my screen surrounded by the red flashing border anyway. I think I can live with not seeing speedcams or other POI's that I am not near to.

It should make no difference but I can imagine that hauling a couple of thousand POI's out of a file, calculate whether they should be visible or not at any given time AND drawing them on screen may be a bit too much. The difference between TT3 and TT5 being that the previous non-common engine may have been less sensitive either memory wise or loadwise.
gmoorc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this post.
I was experimenting last night trying to work out why the scroll had dropped to about 1fps and eventually came to the same conclusion.
Nice to have it confirmed. It happened after I added the speedcam POI's.

To get the POI's to appear with the proximity warning I assume you tick each one in "Enable/Disable POI" and then select "Hide POI".
They will then appear at whatever distance you set in "Warn when near POI"?
newmikey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gmoorc wrote:
Thanks for this post.
I was experimenting last night trying to work out why the scroll had dropped to about 1fps and eventually came to the same conclusion.
Nice to have it confirmed. It happened after I added the speedcam POI's.

To get the POI's to appear with the proximity warning I assume you tick each one in "Enable/Disable POI" and then select "Hide POI".

Correct on both counts.

Can anyone corroborate my findings on the BMP bitmap icons or was this just a fluke side effect?
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

You do not have to enable the POI for it to appear. Providing you enable the warning then the POI will appear. My POI's are both disabled and hidden yet still appear as a warning.

Roger
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can anyone corroborate my findings on the BMP bitmap icons or was this just a fluke side effect?

I might give it a try if I can find a way of determining the bpp of the files. What application are you using to get the info?

Roger
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a TT5 problem and not anythign to do with POIs. I used to run TT4 and that ran smoothly on a slow PPC with all UK speed cameras showing, plus other databases, including one POI database with over 6000 POIs in it! On upgrading to TT5 I ofen find TT is displaying my location several seconds behind where I am unless I turn off display of *all* POIs. Clearly, TT have ballsed somethign up here.
gmoorc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

linknet wrote:
You do not have to enable the POI for it to appear. Providing you enable the warning then the POI will appear. My POI's are both disabled and hidden yet still appear as a warning.

Roger

Ok. I have now ticked all standard TT5 Poi's and unticked the cameras but left on the camera proximity warnings and selected show POI's.

I now see all the POI icons apart from the camera's which are shown when in proximity.

Scroll speed seems good....phew!
newmikey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

linknet wrote:
Quote:

I might give it a try if I can find a way of determining the bpp of the files. What application are you using to get the info?

Roger

Irfanview (free) at www.irfanview.com
newmikey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

julianbarker wrote:
I think this is a TT5 problem and not anythign to do with POIs. I used to run TT4 and that ran smoothly on a slow PPC with all UK speed cameras showing, plus other databases, including one POI database with over 6000 POIs in it! On upgrading to TT5 I ofen find TT is displaying my location several seconds behind where I am unless I turn off display of *all* POIs. Clearly, TT have ballsed somethign up here.

I have found there to be no need for turning off *all* POIs, just the imported ones like the speedcams.

The fact that TT5 runs smoothly after disabling POI's sort of proves it IS a POI problem doesn't it?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: