Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Workarounds for CoPilot's problems.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Workarounds for CoPilot's problems.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PONDEROUS wrote:
Darren

Perhaps you might read my post again. I said that Dave Burrows used private information that he obtained from ALK, not from you.

I did however say that you failed to act when he used that information on your forum and the person concerned made it clear that it was without his or her permission.

These are serious issues, Darren and it is time to face up to them. It is time to seek the help and advice necessary to convert this enterprise into a professional one - and of course I do mean in terms of ethics rather than pay.

Best wishes for your forthcoming efforts to put the forum on the right footing.
I apologise unreservedly if I misinterpreted your comments, if you would care to supply the link to the relevant thread I will of course take a look as I was until now unaware of it. As for your other comment, I shall bear them in mind should I ever consider it a matter that needs addressing.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I banging my head against a brick wall? Because it feels like it!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly but then the whole CoPilot debacle has gone off on so many tangents that it's hard to remember what the actual complaint is/was. It does seem that if you can't get any redress from CoPilot then why not just blame us because unlike ALK we give you a forum in which to sound off. I've had quite enough of CoPilot and I don't even possess a copy ;)
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Perhaps you might read my post again. I said that Dave Burrows used private information that he obtained from ALK, not from you.

I did however say that you failed to act when he used that information on your forum and the person concerned made it clear that it was without his or her permission.

PONDEROUS has supplied the relevant link by email and I have now read it. Because it appears to have caused personal offence I have edited the post in question and removed the real name of the forum member but I it does alarm me that someone who posts at such length about team members and others is happy to hide behind a Nom de Plume in these forums. I would add that PONDEROUS has been quick to draw my attention to other matters in the past and I have always acted swiftly where I deemed it necessary. In this instance he did not state his concerns and I did not see the post when it was initially made so I fail to see how I could be held to account for failing to act.
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren, Mmmm. Wheher Neil is banging his head against a wall is neither here nor there and to be fair even your fair self being fed up with hearing about CP5 draws the same response although I know what you mean. Smile

Fact is Neil has an orgasm every time he powers CP5 up asI am sure do some others. Me? I get a mild thrill but thats about all. This is a terrific forum and is a kind of mecca for many and just about the only place to moan. If Neil or others don't want to read people posting about this subject in order to keep the profile up then don't read the posts.

This is an issue for a large number of CP5 users. How large? Who knows but who knows what percentage are unhappy but keep on using it!

ALK sure couldn't give a monkeys

Nokia Lumia 800 with Nokia Maps, iPhone 4S with Apple Maps (sigh)
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am offended by your last post. I have always made it perfectly clear that I am not trying to supress discussion on any matter. If you were to read through my posts in this thread you would quite clearly see that. Who would dream of repeatedly posting about TomTom in the Co-Pilot forums - I am simply referring to time and place.

Quite contrary to what you appear to think by your last post - I am not turned on by Co-pilot (I leave that to my other navigation system Sue 0.9 - as a navigation system she will probably never be ready for public release - although Son-of-Sue shows promise, but Daughter-of-Sue refuses to boot!)

I have on several occasions been instructed by Sue 0.9 to take the product back, that is until she realised that she would have to come out of retirement. And me, I have to admit that even with its shortcomings, it is much better than the previous navigator (if not as friendly).

I (along with many others) think that Co-Pilot has many shortcomings - some functional - some just plain sloppy programming/poor testing - but that is simply my opinion - I wouldn't dream of stating it as fact without proof.

All I have been asking (not demanding) is if other people want an additional, but SEPARATE area where we can JUST record fixes/workarounds, and for other matters to be discussed elsewhere. First I felt that I was banging my head against a brick wall, now I feel insulted. How on earth are we to have a meaningful discussion if all people want to do is score points against other posters rather than discuss the issues - and I would have thought that there were enough to keep us going for some time.

After all, if anyone has a point to raise, they can (as I did) raise a thread to discuss it - there is no need for anyone to hijack another thread to do it.
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh!

Don't be so sensitive Neil.

BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: workarounds for CP Reply with quote

Neil, sorry to abuse your well-meant topic.

But there are no workarounds.

Well, there were 3 fixes mentioned, now moot because we have them.

The tweaks and workarounds are ineffective as far as I know. The possible exception is that if you are willing to hack some gps trip files you can improve the ETA estimates on rural trips on the PPC.

To put your topic to the best use I and some others have tried to post a list of current bugs, hoping that others might recognize them and offer solutions. This hasn't happened yet.

Here's one: I mentioned the occasional loss of "Favorites" on the PPC. As many now know, the solution for this is to avoid soft-reset while CP is running (if possible). Also, I think you can occasionally copy favorites.lst to use as a backup. I tried restoring it once and it worked.

On the other hand I am enjoying the lively discussion of CoPilot's pluses and minuses here, and especially the language. And there is always the chance that someone will post a workaround.

Another ideal use for this thread is to offer ALK a perfect place to comment on known bugs and workarounds. Still holding my breath...
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least some people realise it was well-meant and don't just atack it, or make snide comments about the poster. I suppose I have to accept that people are entitled to their opinions - just a shame they can't differentiate between when it is, and when it is not appropriate to share them. As far as I am concerned there is no point arguing - it is just argument for arguments sake. I am sure that other people will draw their own conclusions. Just let them get on with it. I shan't be responding.

As to work-arounds, while I realise that the propblems you refer to are real - it wasn't realy that type of problem I was thinking of - but of course any suggestions even just to reduce some of the (shall we say to be diplomatic) 'creative' routing is a step in the right direction. After all the more knowledge we have about how the program is 'creative' the more chance there is for someone to outsmart it - even if the only solution is to force the route on the desktop and export a trip. Yes I know it is far from acceptable, but if it allows you to take a correct route - that has to be better than going the wrong way.

I have one turn that the routing refuses to take - the roads appear on the maps, and the turn has never been restricted - it just won't go there! Since it is near to home, I route from the other side of the problem - messy, yes - acceptable no - but at least it stops it complaining on me.

I have also has to treat Co-Pilot like I did Sue 0.9, take the instructions with caution - at least Co-Pilot doesn't tell me to the wrong way down one way streets as often!

As for loss of 'favorites', I was coming to a similar conclusion, but would add, that if Co-Pilot has stopped responding, just press one of the buttons on the front - I use 'notes' - you will then get the taskbar back and can now access Settings | System | Memory | Running programs | from where you can try to 'Stop' CoPilot before you press the restart button. It has usually worked for me - and since Co-Pilot is not then running, I have not lost 'favorites' (yet!).

Yes it would be nice if ALK would make the type of posts you refer to, but for some reson most companies these days seem not to like admitting that there is a problem until they have fixed it (legal departments?)
GrimBeard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh for God's sake, again!!

Ban me if you want but can't someone put ponderous out of his/her misery. If he/she was one of my horses they'ed have been shot ages ago.

GET A LIFE

GB.................waiting for ban because I got a little personal Twisted Evil
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always thought that shooting horses should be an Olympic sport. I mean, all they do is eat carrots, s**t on the streets and keep us in cat food and glue. Or is that New Labour ? Either way shoot the I say.

topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologise for that last post. I didn't mean horses, that would be appalling and in bad taste. I meant Nuns

PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I have been away for a while, a few posts have passed since Darren responded to my own post concerning the revelation of my real name by Dave Burrows.

Unfortunately it seems Darren continues to have difficulty disentangling his loyalty to his friends from the need to address the issues honestly and in a straightforward manner. I am in fact quite willing to use my own name. That is why I made no complaint about the matter at the time - many weeks ago. That is beside the point, however, as As Darren very well knows. This was a question not of whether I wanted my name revealed, but of whether Dave Burrows should have revealed it without permission - and of what else that says about the forum team and its need for self appraisal.

Furthermore, while Darren may not have noticed the matter, I do not accept that every forum team member or moderator failed to see what had happened.

Incidentally, there are further breaches on this thread of the Forum Rules (such as they are) that Darren posted recently. I have seen no action from the forum team to close the thread, or do anything else, in response. However, as I have observed before, the posts concerned are once again aimed at a critic of the conduct of the forum; i.e. me.

I say again that it is high time for a sea change.
GrimBeard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anuone else have an urgent desire to rush into the nearest corner and be violently sick...................... blaaa.

Just so I don't breach any forum rules, God forbid, this reletively innocuous post is not directed at anyone in particular.

Oh my God, I'm turning into.................................

GB
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ako one point id like to clarify dave is not a moderator but is now in fact a user of the site he is here in his own time help out as when the site first started

ive just stared using the smartphone version as now i can run it fully on a seperate connected device using this week for a few days it looks like for now the best we can do for routing problems is to use way points though this can throw up some funny routes on highway and mainly motorway routes its fine on a roads maybe not

i had a run from hereford back to liverpool docks now i followed the route id normally take ie 49 m56 then through runcorn and on to the a57 to swtich island

cp wanted me to go upto oswestry then through the wallesy tunnel ( cant use it im to big) then up past the liver building now the poiint is this
i have a freind who does this on nights regularly and i found that after talking to him id have save the best part of an hour and a half if id gone the cp way so its not that bad really that was after i idid a reroute because it wanted me to go out to the m6t and then up Rolling Eyes Laughing
so personally id check the itinary before you set of then you can make any adjustments needed all the camera anouncments worked and personally id use the wav. files rather than tts as its louder and you piclk up what it says as sometimes with tts the directions can be given and you only hear half of then because so much infomation is being given at once

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 10 of 17

Jump to: