Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CoPilot or TomTom? Which is best for camera detection?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CoPilot or TomTom? Which is best for camera detection?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
W90BHP
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: CoPilot or TomTom? Which is best for camera detection? Reply with quote

Hi

I have been a user of CoPilot for the last few years and am currently running version 4. The CoPilot software is great for routing - the feature I like the best is the spoken street names rather than just being told to "turn left".

However, I find the POI reporting side of things not that helpful, particularly when used to identify speed camaras. CoPilot often reports speed cameras well in advance of my current location and also reports multiple cameras at the same time. Also, importing the camera database into CoPilot is a bit of a bind.

After reading reviews on this site, I'm wondering if TomTom is a better product for reporting camera locations? If it is, are there other shortcomings of TomTom that I will find annoying as a CoPilot User?

In short - which is the best product: CoPilot or TomTom? Is there a head-to-head comparison review anywhere I could read?

Regards

Martin
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: CoPilot or TomTom? Which is best for camera detection? Reply with quote

W90BHP wrote:
In short - which is the best product: CoPilot or TomTom? Is there a head-to-head comparison review anywhere I could read?

This really is down to personal preference. CoPilot Live 5 is a lot better than CoPilot Live 4 and allows for tweaking of POI notification so you're not stuck with the 1 or 2 mile alert. You can go right down to 100 yards or less if you want.

I would have to say from a mapping perspective I still prefer applications that use the more detailed NAVTEQ data and CoPilot does this over TomTom using TeleAtlas. TomTom has a very nice and slick GUI and with v5 it's getting better.

At the end of the day the decision really is down to you. What I would say is to read the CoPilot Live 5 review and the TomTom 5 review and then make your decision on this.

If you're really happy with CoPilot then there's probably no reason to change unless you want a traffic service now rather than perhaps in a few months.
W90BHP
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. Since my posting (above) I have been reading through the forums in more detail and understand why there is no head-to-head comparison review.

Perhaps I'll stick with CoPilot - they do very nice preferential upgrades for existing users - I upgraded to version 4 from the Compaq iNS (v3?) for not very much money.

Will CoPilot 5 run on PPC2003? I upgraded my iPAQ 3970 to 2003 but later downgraded to 2002 after it kept locking up when activitaing bluetooth...

Martin

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: