Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Docking Kit & New Models/major upgrades for Early 2005
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Docking Kit & New Models/major upgrades for Early 2005

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragon999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Docking Kit & New Models/major upgrades for Early 2005 Reply with quote

I have recently been looking at the TomTom Go unit. I required some information regarding the vehicle docking kit and the associated wiring. I contacted TomTom via their telephone support and was not able to establish sufficient information from them. I am looking a purchasing a new Renault Scenic Expression car. I am not sure if this model had one of the ‘Special Windscreens’ referred to by TomTom that needs an additional aerial. If anyone has the answers to the following information it would be greatly appreciated.

1. If you use a docking kit do you still have to place the aerial into the unit separately or is the signal picked up through special pins on the underside

Whilst talking to the Customer Services at TomTom I asked if their was any developments regarding the use of full postcodes to make up routes. I was told that all the TomTom models were being upgraded from March after an exhibition with this type of equipment. I would be interested to know as they would not comment either was as to if the new version will cover Postcodes. Is it physically possible on the size of cards available for Tom Tom to alter the software to incorporate Postcodes.

I am new to GPS Navigation and have put off getting one until they were as simple to use as the TomTom Go but incorporated the use of Postcodes as where I live a lot of the roads are unnamed or Farms etc.

Any help that can be given on the able would be most appreciated.

Tony
JohnBoy59
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this link...

http://www.mytomtomgo.com/vervolg.php?id=78
bestyman
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a tomtom go now you can still use full postcodes after downloading the postcode files as POIs from this site, do a search for amalgamated files as these combine codes by region and work fine. Some threads in detail are on this site somewhere . If unable to find post back.

not sure about hard wired car kit but would assume ariel is attached to base like standard kit ( with extra base supplied with ariel)

Mark
TuurG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bestyman wrote:

not sure about hard wired car kit but would assume ariel is attached to base like standard kit ( with extra base supplied with ariel)

Mark

correct
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get the complete postcode data for Great Britain into less than 20MBytes assuming you're not after house number and postcode lookups (the data set for which is extremely large and expensive to licence).

If that leads to those wanting to upgrade needing a 256MB SD card, they're not much money these days.

It looks as if full postcodes will be in TomTom Mobile 5. Bearing in mind that TomTom have a "common platform" approach to software development, I'd expect a future Go upgrade to include full postcodes and new maps as well as any software improvements in the improved common platform that are relevant to Go.

That said, nothing is certain until TomTom announce their intentions publicly. There is, to my knowledge, no official confirmation, such as a press release, from TomTom about the new hardware models mentioned on mytomtomgo.com

David
NickDelion
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:
That said, nothing is certain until TomTom announce their intentions publicly. There is, to my knowledge, no official confirmation, such as a press release, from TomTom about the new hardware models mentioned on mytomtomgo.com

You are right, but our sources are VERY reliable...

Nick

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: