Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - £450.00 Of Junk
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

£450.00 Of Junk
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnGray
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are at least half a dozen online UK "route planners" on the internet, and it is interesting to try them all on a particular route you know, to see what transpires.

Occasionally I drive by myself from Gloucester to Sherborne, Dorset, and the most direct route is M5, M4, M32 into the middle of Bristol, then more or less due south on the agonising slow A37 and A371, which have a multitude of speed restrictions, traffic lights, bends, small villages, and so forth. Total distance, about 75-80 miles.

However, I tried a new planner and it suggested going all the way down the M5 to J23, then south-east on dual carriageway (mostly) to Sherborne. Total distance, about 100 miles -- BUT QUICKER, as I found by driving it!

I preferred the route which was faster but 25% longer, because there was fewer hazards, less hassle, and fewer "decision points". OK, so it cost me another two or three quid in petrol, but justified, IMHO.

If I had had TomTom GO, I would have been quite happy to let it decide its own way, confident in the knowledge that I'd get there, fairly stress-free. And after all, it is only a tool to assist you to get from A to B -- and the older you get, the more you need crutches...

John
Patrick_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried a few routes with www.viamichelin.com and got mixed results.
First route from in-laws to mine directed me the same as TTG, via Colchester town centre. This is not the route we drive ourselves.
Second route, Braintree to Chelmsford directed me AROUND Braintree whereas TTG directed me THROUGH Braintree. Viamichelin took me the opposite way around a block near my destination.

Never used any other GPS device.

Just swings and roundabouts I guess...................
boris
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this talk of Garmin......I was looking at the Garmin StreetPilot3. Funny thing is, shop wouldn't let me have it for £400.

My real point is that I drive all over the middle section of the UK, and as of yet, the TTG has always picked as good a route, usually better than the routes I was using, (mostly long trips). They say you get what you pay for, but for my money, with TTG you get much more...

One REALLY useful feature would be that having used the @alternative route' an dthen maybe the 'avoid part of route' feature it would be nice to be able to save the route for next time! Still, great VFM.
JohnBoy59
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drive from Pulborough in Sussex to Cheam Surrey most days and have always used the M23. Then I bought my TTG and was amazed to see that it took me on a wild goose chase through the Country so I ignored it. Last week I thought I'd give TTG's route a go. It knocked 7 miles off the time and saved nearly 10 mins. I was gobsmacked.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having used TTG for several months now I find that it gets it right most of the time. To give it credit it has to allow for the 'average'!!

The Avoid Roadblock can be a godsend.

I give it a B+

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Boxbrownie
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ferret,

I just got TT go at the weekend from the Channel Tunnel terminus (Dixons) as a point of interest for £365....but I have been using TT3 for a long time now and find TTG better in many respects, I tried your route and found the third alternative to be the shortest (9.9 miles @ 36minutes) and taking only 7 mins longer than the first route selected by TTG which was 14.5 miles. I don't quite see the problem, it calculates different routes very fast and easily and you can pick one that looks like your preferred on the pre display map shown. Granted if you wanted to go via specific locations you would be lucky if TTG picked the exactl route, if it did maybe we could get it to pick next weeks lottery numbers too? Laughing

Best regards David
gingernut777
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: £450.00 Of Junk Reply with quote

ferret79 wrote:
Having had this TOMTOM 2 for 3 weeks it didn't take long to find it out. It takes me upto 6 miles out of my way purposely because (1) it wants to stick to the main roads. Yes you can plan your route with a via point but you cannot save the route (with the via point) to favourites or a poi as it defaults to THE LONGEST WAY ROUND again. The software is 4.42, so its up to date, i'm getting to the point were it is about to get hurled out of the car window, these things are supposed to be to save you time in travelling but how can they when they can add up to 6 miles to your journey, i dont normally complain but this is rediculous, anyone else got this problem, replies please.

Some people are never satisfied, complain about the slightest things.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: