Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - £450.00 Of Junk
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

£450.00 Of Junk
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ferret79
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: £450.00 Of Junk Reply with quote

Having had this TOMTOM 2 for 3 weeks it didn't take long to find it out. It takes me upto 6 miles out of my way purposely because (1) it wants to stick to the main roads. Yes you can plan your route with a via point but you cannot save the route (with the via point) to favourites or a poi as it defaults to THE LONGEST WAY ROUND again. The software is 4.42, so its up to date, i'm getting to the point were it is about to get hurled out of the car window, these things are supposed to be to save you time in travelling but how can they when they can add up to 6 miles to your journey, i dont normally complain but this is rediculous, anyone else got this problem, replies please.
stix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It not intended to save you time when travelling... it's meant to get you from A to B when you don't know the way. If you know a route, and know which way is quickest, why use the TTG? That's not what it's designed for!
bestyman
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I assume that you have a tomtom GO. Have you tried using the "calculate alternative" feature? ( touch screen>find alternative>calculate alternative)
I have found that the first route that tomtom comes up with may not be the shortest but is usually the fastest, obviously because on main roads you can do 50-70 mph but on back streets you are usually limited to 30 with many junctions etc.
The second /3rd route that tomtom comes up with is shorter but takes a longer time. It even compares the alternative route with the original in both time and distance.
I admit that the tomtom is not perfect but it always gets you there and when I am in a strange town I would rather stick to main roads anyhow as it makes for an easier life.
You could always drive the route that you know best and then just use the tomtom to find the final destination.
When your gonna throw it out of the window please let me know and I will happily catch it and give it a loving home.
Hope this helps
Mark
ferret79
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do realise your comments stix but i only know the route by looking it up on a map, the tomtom took me 6 miles out of my way to get there (and this happens time and time again on other routes) when it could have taken me a "shorter" way when it refuses to do so. For £450.00 i expect something a little better than that sorry- no offence intented. I know that users Knock GARMIN for being pricey but they dont suffer from this problem - i know this cause i used to own one. I know what i'm going back to.
gingernut777
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As bestyman says, you haven't used "calculate alternative"

I've had a TTG since it came out, and even where i know the route, i use "Alternative", and it's shown me an even QUICKER way.

It's possible that TomTom maybe including this fastest/shortest route in an update.
Sniff
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ferret79 wrote:
I do realise your comments stix but i only know the route by looking it up on a map, the tomtom took me 6 miles out of my way to get there (and this happens time and time again on other routes) when it could have taken me a "shorter" way when it refuses to do so. For £450.00 i expect something a little better than that sorry- no offence intented. I know that users Knock GARMIN for being pricey but they dont suffer from this problem - i know this cause i used to own one. I know what i'm going back to.

I agree with Stix...as people are constantly saying, GO is an aid, you are not forced to follow the directions it gives. Even with a map, you'll probably find people that recommend two or three different ways to get to a particular destination.

If you're going to compare every route GO calculates with a paper map, and work out how far 'wrong' it is, then I think you are approaching it the wrong way. I bought a GO so I could STOP looking at maps. Sure, I know that locals would probably suggest a better route by cutting though back streets and stuff, but if I'm in a stange town I probably don't want to do that anyway. How long was your journey anyway? Is 6 miles really such a big deal?

As for the Garmin, I'd be amazed if it 100% always gave the shortest possible route, with absolutely no chance of anyone finding something quicker, every single time, ever.
ferret79
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks 4 all the replies lads but having done a re-calculation on some routes as you have all advised (and which i have previosely done) the GO has still taken me miles out of my way, even when i have given it a helping hand by creating "a via point" on a "A ROAD" GO still ignors it and gives the route that it thinks fit.
Patrick_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2p worth.....
TTG doesn't know what vehicle you are driving. If you were driving a 40 tonne truck and TTG directed you through a housing estate because it was the shortest route, you would NOT be happy. I've only had my TTG one week but I'm sure there isn't an option the aviod width restrictions and/or weak bridges and things like that.

Patrick

PS I paid £360 for mine...... :D
ferret79
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep i do drive artics for a living and would be very happy for the GO to direct me down an "A" road if it were the shortest route as for "A" roads they are surely big enough to accomodate housing estates as you mention. The point is this; All i want is value for money not an article of point scoreing. No Offence intented.
stix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the route customisation is not flexible enough for you then Sad I think TT Navigator 3 or whatever it is on PDA has much more in the way of options for tailoring how routes are calculated.

Perhaps this will come in future software updates for TTGo.

(BTW.... I assume that the 6 miles longer route was not actually quicker??? )
SGR1913
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

out of curiosity try using www.viamichelin.com which uses maps from the same source as the TTGO (Teleatlas). Does this take you the same route as your TTGO, also the website has options for fastest route etc.
If this gives you the same route, then any GPS using Teleatlas is likely to have the same issue.
gingernut777
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGR1913 wrote:
out of curiosity try using www.viamichelin.com which uses maps from the same source as the TTGO (Teleatlas). Does this take you the same route as your TTGO, also the website has options for fastest route etc.
If this gives you the same route, then any GPS using Teleatlas is likely to have the same issue.

Good Idea SGR1913

Ferret79

tell us the route you tried, and well put it into different applications, such as Autoroute, and see if THEY come up with your route.

Bet you'll find their similar., and it's will prove the TTG is not a load of junk.
ferret79
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the website Gingernut (most instructive) my route is....Whitmore Park Poad...Coventry..///// destination is Balsall street East ... Solihull.. the route that came up on the website is the route that i needed (and expected) if not a similar one..TTG. dont even recognise it . TTG wants to take me through "MERIDEN AND PACKINGTON" to get to the same place (Balsall St. East) . Thanks again. But this is only just 1 route i found to have problems, It also told me to "turn around when possible" when half way down the M6 when going from Coventry to Birmingham. Think this TTG needs a bit of brain surgery or could it be Jane!!!!!!. Thanks again for trying to help. Not going to go on about Garmin but it never gave me these probs, ..You dont realise what youve had untill you replace it.....................
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What car are you driving. Is the signal weak because of location in your car? You may need an external aerial.

This won't help the planning, but TTG may have got lost on the motorway if you have a weak signal.
ferret79
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rover 75

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: