Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 4.40 Upgrade Problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

4.40 Upgrade Problems
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: 4.40 Upgrade Problems Reply with quote

Having downloaded the 4.40 upgrade and received the installation successful message I now find that when I switch on my TTG all I get is an animated screen showing the card being removed and a red cross through it. Thinking that the card was full I have deleted all but the English voices and I now have about 12mb free on my 128mb SD card. I have tried installing it making sure that the write protect is not on but still no to avail.

Any guidance greatly welcomed.
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure it's 4.40 - the latest version is 4.42

If it is 4.40, that may possibly explain it, since that version does have some known problems - (but I've never heard of those partiicular ones) - so it's worth downloading 4.42 and trying that.

Did you have TTG powered from the mains when you were updating the card? It is very important to do that - so if you didn't, connect it to the mains adaptor and do it again. [You may have to manually delete everything off the card first, using Windows File Manager]

Roger
toto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I meant 4.42 from 4.40. Yes I kept the mains in throughout. Do I need to install through the original disc I had - I just used the setup.exe from the download?

Also if I look at the card can I tell if the new version is there? What should I not delete in order to re-install again.

Sorry for all the questions - I have upgraded before without any hassle - I figured this time it would be straightforward.

Thanks
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds as if your card is corrupted for some reason.

I've just seen another thread on the same subject ("tom tom go not working") and the advice there was to re-format the card, and start again.

Although I've never downloaded and installed an upgrade, I believe that you did it the right way by running the downloaded setup program rather than the one on the CD.

Did you back up the card to your PC before doing the upgrade? If so, you may wish to copy a file called Great-Britain-Map.cfg back onto the card (in the Great-Britain-Map folder). This holds your favourites and recent destinations.

If you are upgrading from a version earlier than 4.40, I presume that you didn't have any add-on POIs such as speed cameras, because they wouldn't have been supported?

Roger
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having upgraded from 4.40 to 4.42 - if you run the downloaded .EXE file it will install on the SD Card directly.

Two other points - I didn't lose my favourites and recents when upgarding and I never use the mains power lead when connecting to the PC and it has never given me any problems (just make sure the battery is well charged).
toto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok - I have formatted the card and copied the back up I made from several months ago. I have deleted any Safty Camera and POI add ons. However, I still get the big red cross.

Can anyone tell me on the TTG SD card which way the write protect switch should be just in case - I have tried installing and re-installing using both positions just in case I had write-protected.

The files I have in my back up folder are:

1. Great Britain-Map (Folder inside of which is Great Britain.mms and Great Britain-Map.cfg)
2. TomTom-Cfg (Folder inside of which is birthday.txt)
3. CurrentMap.dat
4. Great_Britain-2469d3ac.mds
5. history.txt
6. tomtom.aid
7. ttgo.bif

Even when I revert to my backup I still get the red cross warning.

Have I the right files in case the card is completely useless so that I can copy them to a new one. I have spent about 3 hours looking for my installation CD but yet to find.

Thanks so far.
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you are missing some critical files.
my back has:

TTSYSTEM
TTGO.BIF
TOMTOM.AID
TomTom-Cfg (folder)
SYSTEM
Major_Roads_Of_Europe Navigator Map (folder)
Great_Britain-2469d3ac.mds
Great-Britain-Map (folder)
ENGM.VIF
ENGF.VIF
DATA05.CHK
DATA04.CHK
DATA.CHK
CurrentMap.dat
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ENGM ENGF DATA04 &DATA05 files are the english voice files.
toto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks - I am assuming that these can be re-instated from the CD?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The write protect switch goes forward in the direction of the insertion arrow.
Frazzle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have re formatted your SD card before installing the software make sure the format is is FAT 16 and not FAT 32 !

The TTG uses FAT 16 :-)
toto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using Windows 2000 and I can only see 3 options...
FAT
FAT32
NTFS

I used FAT is this ok?

I am slightly concerned about the earlier post saying that I am missing some data. I went back to a backup I did in Sept (shortly after buying TTG) and it does not contain any of the missing data referred to either. Is the backup simply a backup of any new data put on it all the whole program (as per the CD)?

Thanks
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not done a backup using the TomTom CD. I've just opened the TTG window on the desktop, selected "All' and drag copied it into a folder on my hard disc. Maybe TT only copies the data files?

What do you see if you open the SD card as a window?
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toto wrote:
I am using Windows 2000 and I can only see 3 options...
FAT
FAT32
NTFS

I used FAT is this ok?

I am slightly concerned about the earlier post saying that I am missing some data. I went back to a backup I did in Sept (shortly after buying TTG) and it does not contain any of the missing data referred to either. Is the backup simply a backup of any new data put on it all the whole program (as per the CD)?

Thanks

FAT is fine and equates with FAT16.

How did you do your backup? If you run the backup application from the CD, it just backs up the config files etc. which you have changed. My total backup done this way occupies about 16 KILO-bytes

To do a real backup you need to copy everything - including the directory structure - from the SD card to your hard disk - using Windows File Manager or the equivalent. My backup of the UK SD card (as supplied plus a bit of customisation) occupies 119 MEGA-bytes.

[When I bought a larger (256MB) SD card, I was able to restore the backup (MY backup, not THEIRS) onto it, and it worked straight off].
toto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like I've done just the basic back up as the backp folder is in kbs not mbs

I am turning the house upside down to find the original CD to re-install and have also written to TTG support to see what they can do to help in the event that I can't find it.

Thanks for all your help so far.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: