Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - cannot connect tom tom go to my pc
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

cannot connect tom tom go to my pc
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
su
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Have tried the rebooting with TTG connected but it still doesn't install and I am going to look at System File Checker!! Still travelling hopefully and all the advice is much appreciated.
Cheers... Smile
su
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I was trying the system file checker and it wouldn't go any further without my inserting the SP2 cd. Unfortunately I have lent that but as soon as I have it back I will try that again as I do feel that some installation file has gone AWOL . I am pleased to find a way of checking the files as I have tried before without success.
I have taken out the SD card and re-inserted it but the problem is the same.
Why would the system checker need the xp sp2 cd?
Large and grateful thanks as at least I have kept the mallet in the cupboard and no longer feel like using it...I have never done this help route before and it is brilliant I don't feel like I am working in the dark! Smile
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

su wrote:

Possibly because SP2 has replaced a lot of your system files and needs to compare what you have on your PC with the 'master copy' on CD.

It occurs to me that SP2 could be the problem! Does the PC to which you have successfully connected also have SP2? [I have resisted upgrading(?) my XP PC's to SP2 because of the adverse publicity]
su
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did uninstall sp2 when I couldn't connect my TTG to the pc but it still didn't work so I reinstalled sp2 but I will still find out if the other system has sp2!
mal098
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

su wrote:

SFC verifies your system files, replaces corrupted ones, and reinstalls missing ones (from your original CD) if necessary. As you can't proceed without a CD it looks like you do have missing or corrupted system files.
I am not certain whether this is the cause of your problems, but running SFC will not do any harm.
Do make sure you delete the TTG in device manager if it is still showing with a problem, before trying again to get windows to detect it. As someone else posted earlier, a reboot could also help, i.e delete device and then reboot.
A final thought, have you got a card reader? On my system, the TTG showed up as drive "L" on "my computer" because of this.
I missed it at first.
su
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still waiting for my sp2 cd as I do want to try out your suggestion.
I haven't got a card reader....I am not sure what one is ....
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

su wrote:

I haven't got a card reader....I am not sure what one is ....

You can buy little devices which connect to your PC (usually by USB!) and which have several slots for taking different types of memory card (Secure Digital, Compact Flash, SmartMedia, etc.)

With one of these, you could read or write to your SD card without needing to connect TTG to the computer. [But if you've got a problem with USB-based external 'drives', this probably wouldn't work either!]
su
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for explaining what a card reader is. I do also have a problem with a usb flash drive pen and at first I just thought it was it was a cheap one and I didn't bother trying to sort it out. I realise now that the problem is somewhere with my pc as the 2 removable storage devices don't work although my digital camera and mp3 player do.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also check whether your PC has a Via Chipset as these are known to have problems with USB drivers.

Been there done that, then changed the computer. If so, try Via's website for the latest drivers.
su
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is going to sound very ignorant I know but how would I check if my pc is running a Via Chipset...and what is one?
My pc is a Sony Vaio with 2GHz Intel Celeron..usb 2...
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you'rerunning an Intel processor it won't be a Via.

That's one problem less anyway. Have to think again!
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the incomplete answer! There is a Via set that runs with an Intel, but it is unlikely to be used by Sony.

You can tell the Bios (Basic Input/Output) you are using by looking at the top of your boot screen. The first thing you see, in black/white.
mal098
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing you can almost always bet on is that if you've got a problem, then so does someone else!
Have a look here http://www.expansys.com/forumthread.asp?code=TOMTOMGO&thread=422

SFC may cure the problem without re-installing windows, so I'd still try that first.

If you aren't sure how to re-install windows, then please post, as I had a link to a step-by-step guide somewhere.

You may yet get to keep some of your hair.
hasoodh1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried using another USB port on the PC? Sometimes this can help as it installs fresh drivers on that hub.

Hoss
su
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
How brilliant it is to have help and I really do appreciate it all
I have tried different usb ports and that didn't make the connection and I am truly glad I haven't got a Via Chipset, as maybe there would have been even more problems ahead of me!!! Not to say I don't like that!
Anyway... a few glasses of red wine later ....and I am sooo pleased as the problem was that the inf files ...although still on my pc ...needed to be accessed as they weren't easily trackable and by using the hardware installation wizard and guessing the inf files needed the problem was resolved although the reason for the missing linkage is still a mystery, this is a good work around and my TTG does now come up as a removable in drive H,as I have never seen Drive H before so maybe I will try in the future to find out why this link seems to be broken.
A big cheers to all :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: