Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTG and Motorbike
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTG and Motorbike

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cloonsey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: TTG and Motorbike Reply with quote

Has anyone tried to fix a TTG to a motorbike?
I know you wouldn't be able to hear the directions but the map would be very usefull.
I'm a delivery driver by trade so my TTG is mainly used in my van but i also have a GSXR,do you think the TTG would be able to stand the vibration from the bike?
Sniff
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vibration might be OK, if you could fashion something to mount it with. But what about rain and stuff? And you'd only be able to use it on battery power I guess?
Cloonsey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an old screen(windshield) whatever you want to call it.
What i was thinking of doing was getting another mount from tom tom and drilling some holes where the sucker is and bolting it to the screen with rubber washers to try and cancel out some of the vibration.
That would put the TTG under the screen and hopefully out of the rain.
frogster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSXR ? I wouldn’t have thought you should have much vibration on that.... I think your biggest problem will be finding a secure mounting place.... last thing you want is it flying off at a 100+ MPH....

Now, if you want to talk about vibration, I have a 1976 Harley Superglide Shovel 1340cc.... although it would be a bit pointless putting it on my bike, I wouldn’t be able to read it…. For example… at 50 MPH the vibration is so great I can't read motorway road signs (just a blur).

Other good speed indicators are at 60 MPH I get a nose bleed, and at 70 MPH my fillings start to fall out.... still, keeps me legal... Smile
Cloonsey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh by the way guys which forum do you prefer,Expansys or Pocket GPS.
We seem to be haveing the same conversation on both,Laughing Out Loud
Sniff
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Expansys seems to be a bit more techie, but a lot of people post on both. I much prefer this site just for it's user-friendliness. On Expansys you can't search, can't quote easily, I ALWAYS have to login everytime, no indications of new posts since last visit etc.
Juey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re ttg and a motorbike.....

When considering buying a ttg I emailed ttg support to see if it would be ok on a bike (600 fazer btw).

They said NOT as not at all waterproof.

Good luck finding a mounting point to keep it dry, apart from in the garage Wink
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: TTG and Motorbike Reply with quote

Cloonsey wrote:
Has anyone tried to fix a TTG to a motorbike?

What ever you do, make sure it is securely mounted - there are a lot of bumps, jolts and vibrations on a bike.

I don't know if they do a specific mount for the TT-Go but RAM Mounts will mount almost anything to anything and they work very well on the bike. http://www.ram-mount-uk.com or http://www.ram-mount.com/

You could also try putting the GO in a tank bag, although being a Gixer rider, I doubt that you are the tank bag type. Wink
Rettun
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used my TTG on my Bandit. It just fits in the clear map pocket on the top of my tank bag (it won't fit in the map pocket if I detach it from the rest of the tank bag and put it straight on the tank, it has to be fitted to the rest of the bag so there's enough give). It slides around a little (but obviously can't fall out as the map pocket is zipped up), but I found that wedging it in place with a wallet or something was fine. I can hear the directions at very low speeds (<10mph), and the maps are useful above that. Sometimes get strange looks from people walking past when I'm at traffic lights and some woman is saying "Turn left, then keep right" from my bike!
Cloonsey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never thought about a tank bag, i'll give it go.

Hey skippy,I would've never put a tank bag on my GSXR when i first got it 7 years ago.But now being older and wiser i've got all the soft luggage for it(panniers,tail pack and tank bag).

Cheers for the replies guys.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: