Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Incorrect roundabout exit from voice prompt
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Incorrect roundabout exit from voice prompt
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavehwT
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject: Incorrect roundabout exit from voice prompt Reply with quote

Hello again,
As I am using my TTG for work I can visit upto 10 locations a day from Bognor to Exeter in towns and rural locations and this will really test the system.
What I have noticed on quite a few occasions on the voice guide when it tells you the exit from a roundabout it seems to ignore turnings before the one I want , but when you look at the diagram that is correct.
ie: It may say take the second turning but in actual fact it is the third or forth as it has ignored the first one or two turnings.
I have turned off at the wrong turning a few times now and have learnt to check the diagram on bottom left and the picture on the screen and ignore the voice prompt. Thats a bit long winded but has anybody else had the same problem?. Confused
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navman software occasionally does the same thing, for one of two reasons. Sometimes the software discounts some exits for various reasons (new exits, roads marked as not navigable, one way streets, etc.) and sometimes it's just a simple error.In the case of the latter, report the error to Tomtom if they have such a facility.

Such errors caused by mapping defects should be reported to TeleAtlas.
pluriel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happened to me on Monday, I was in an unfamiliar neck of the woods (Kings Lynn) and the voice prompt told me to take the fourth exit of a roundabout which had only two exits. The highlighted route looked exactly like the second exit so I took it, even though it seemed an odd direction according to the signposts. It all worked out about twenty minutes faster than the route I would have followed using my trusty road atlas and appalling sense of direction so I'm not complaining.

I quite like my gadgets to have their odd little quirks anyway.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pluriel,

Can you tell me where that roundabout is, please? There is one in Horsham where I was told to take the seventh exit, when there are only five! Apparently, there is an error in the data for that roundabout; on each road entering/exiting the roundabout there is a bollard separating the two lanes, and the mapdata identified these two lanes as available exits in each instance. I wanted exit four but adding the threee phantom exits gave me exit seven. The highlighted route also showed me the correct exit to take.
TomK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one which made me laugh. Approaching a roundabout " Jane" advised "Turn Left ...Take the fifth Exit". The Diagram was right but the exit was at 270 degrees.

I agree it pays to look at the screen ....making sure it's safe to do so of course Angel
Dazp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also plays up with filter traffic situations, telling you to 'keep left' when in fact the highlighted route takes you straight on..caught me out twice in Gloucester yesterday and had to turn round.. moral of the story keep a watch on the ACTUAL route on the screen and dont take their word as 'gospel'..!!
pluriel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim

This is probably too vague to be much use to you, but I was on the A47 (?), (from Boston heading to Ipswich) approaching Kings Lynn and the roundabout in question had two options - onto Kings Lynn and Thetford or Swaffham to the right. I was expecting TTG (Tim in my case) to take me down to the larger roundabout where there are four or five lanes (and a Tesco and so on) but the highlighted fourth exit looked so exactly like the Swaffham turn that I followed it, even though this was the return journey and we hadn't come that way.

I don't know if that helps you to identify the roundabout or not. I'm not the most observant of drivers, and I can't even remember if the road I had just left was dual or single carriageway. Confused
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Tim (the moderator) already mentioned, this is rather a (much critizised) feature of TomTom of late. They say that "we don't count the roundabout exits you can't use for navigation" which leads to the difference between the voice and the graphic. Hopefully they will "fix it bacK" in a later version.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
MrRubberGloves
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed the odd error when reaching a roundabout, an example being, if there are 4 exits on a roundabout at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock and you're joining the roundabout at 6 o'clock and want to exit the roundabout at 3 o'clock (the third exit) I've been told in the past to take the fifth exit, it seems as though the TT Go is counting the an exit twice instead of only the once.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrRubberGloves wrote:
it seems as though the TT Go is counting the an exit twice instead of only the once.

That is exactly what it is doing. It's because the roads leading onto and off roundabouts are usually marked as one-way on or off. Occasionally this one-way information is omitted and so the software treats each on/off road as two separate roads. This information needs to be reported to the geodata provider; in the case of the Go, this is TeleAtlas.
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had fun and games driving from Warwick to Cambridge and back the other day along the A46, M6 and A14.

Actually, no problem on the outward journey. It correctly got me round the very complicated A46/M6 junction. It alos correctly got me onto the A14 at the end of the M6 - telling me, in effect, to keep right.

However, on the way back, there was NO VOICE AT ALL at the A14/M6 junction. I was left to my own devices. OK I suppose that, by default , you would end up on the M6 - but there are lots of other options including N or S on the M1 plus one or two local roads. It seemed not to regard it as an issue - and simply indicated that the next action was several miles further on at the M6/A46 juntion.

To get from the M6 to the A46 involves a slip road and several roundabouts. One of the roundabouts has only got one exit - although it has got a couple of intermediate blanked-off exits, presumably for future use. Anyway, TTG told me to take the THIRD exit!

Oh, and there was one roundabout in Cambridge itself, where it told me to take the fourth exit - and I could only find 3!

As it happened, I knew the way anyway - but some of these things could have been a bit disconcerting to anyone who didn't.
DavehwT
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, seem to have hit a nerve on this thread. I was in Swindon today(roundabout hell including the famous magic roundabout). TTG fell apart on most of the roundabouts, some it would see and display, others were ignored both on display and voice and they were not all mini roundabouts which it sometimes gave, but normal ones as well.
Serious and dangerous stuff if you dont know the area and are trying to look at the display and the road. This area needs some urgent attention.
I borrowed a Garmin Street pilot 111 today and all the roundabouts were spot on, as were the spoken directions. Having two female voices competing is no fun. What is annoying is the TTG voice saying "Cross roundabout" when you are taking the first exit. Surely "Enter roundabout" is more correct.
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavehwT wrote:
What is annoying is the TTG voice saying "Cross roundabout" when you are taking the first exit. Surely "Enter roundabout" is more correct.

Well, I seem to get a random selection of "Go left at roundabout", "Cross roundabout" and "Go round roundabout" - without any particular logic as to which is used when! If they applied respectively to 90 degrees, 180 degrees and 270 degrees, I could understand it - but life ain't like that.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavehwT wrote:
What is annoying is the TTG voice saying "Cross roundabout" when you are taking the first exit. Surely "Enter roundabout" is more correct.
Why can't it simply say "At the roundabout take the first exit". Wouldn't that be more appropriate?
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
Compass
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FFS lads n lasses i work in skelmersdale "Lancs" im a delivery driver... just go and look at all the r/bouts there.....my TTG consistently gives wrong exits with the voice prompts....it leads me to believe the "Knowledge" is far better than the computer!!! Nuff Said! Confused

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: