Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Safety Camera Update
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Safety Camera Update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skids
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: Safety Camera Update Reply with quote

I have just seen that there is a new update of the Safety Cameras so I have connected my Ipaq via Active Sync and run POIEdit which I always use to download updtaes.

When I run update now the software says there are no updates available.

I have also tried updating via Update Manager and still nothing.

The last updates POIEdit sees were on 4/12/2004 except for Specs which was the 9/12/04. I know the software is working because it has updated Sightseeing and Tourism today.

Please could somebody confirm that the updates are available as the site says.

Many Thanks

Skids
carbon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi skids

The update is available as a 270KB zip file, I've downloaded it straight to my pc and unzipped it there and then transfered the relevant files from the unzipped folder to my ipaq.

iPAQ 2210: Kingston 512MB SD Card, Holux GR211
TTNav 3.07, GPS Driver 3.07, CheckPOInt 2.0.2.0
Skids
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Carbon.

I have now done the same with the zip file and it works fine.

I have always used POIEdit in the past and I would like to continue using it as it automatically downloads the files to my storage card as well as other POIs so I am more concerned why that isn't working.

I have also posted a similar topic on the POIEdit site in case it is an issue with their software.

Regards

Skids
carbon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Skids

I'm rather new to the whole pockect pc experiance and have only just downloaded and installed POIEdit following your post. POIEdit has downloaded the most recent update for the safety cameras, but as its the first time I've used it it should have.

iPAQ 2210: Kingston 512MB SD Card, Holux GR211
TTNav 3.07, GPS Driver 3.07, CheckPOInt 2.0.2.0
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skids,

I have double checked the files on the server and the following files show a date stamp as of today:-

- pocketgps_uk_gatso.ov2
- pocketgps_uk_temp.ov2
- pocketgps_uk_specs.ov2
- pocketgps_uk_redlight.ov2
- pocketgps_uk_mobile.ov2

I suspect that you have POIEdit set to a proxy server, or to use IE settings and IE is using a proxy server as this will cause that problem.
Skids
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
Skids,

I have double checked the files on the server and the following files show a date stamp as of today:-

- pocketgps_uk_gatso.ov2
- pocketgps_uk_temp.ov2
- pocketgps_uk_specs.ov2
- pocketgps_uk_redlight.ov2
- pocketgps_uk_mobile.ov2

I suspect that you have POIEdit set to a proxy server, or to use IE settings and IE is using a proxy server as this will cause that problem.

Thanks for the info but I don't have a proxy set. I have tried setting one (I have a router) but that doesn't make any difference. It does do a scan and doesn't error beacuse it cannot see the database.

Besides I have had the settings the same since I first set it up and it has been working.
In my post I stated that I had downloaded sightseeing and tourism today but not the pocket gps sc database (I am not having a go by the way Smile )

I have updated it manually for the time being so I may not be able to force a download now anyway but I am still worried that something isn't working right somewhere! Sad
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do have a proxy, and not one you can get rid of.

Using a moderator level function, I looked at the IP address you posted from - and it's an ntl: one. ntl: force all web traffic through what are supposedly transparent proxies - but they're far from transparent in many cases.

The proxying was one reason I left ntl: and went to Zen ADSL, which don't proxy any traffic.

It looks as if you've also posted from a BT connection - but I'm pretty sure I'm interpreting what I'm seeing correctly and this post of yours came from an ntl: address.

David
Skids
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:
You do have a proxy, and not one you can get rid of.

Using a moderator level function, I looked at the IP address you posted from - and it's an ntl: one. ntl: force all web traffic through what are supposedly transparent proxies - but they're far from transparent in many cases.

The proxying was one reason I left ntl: and went to Zen ADSL, which don't proxy any traffic.

It looks as if you've also posted from a BT connection - but I'm pretty sure I'm interpreting what I'm seeing correctly and this post of yours came from an ntl: address.

David

Thanks for that David I didn't realise.

Do you know what I would need to do then?

It still confuses me that I am getting other updates in POIEdit though which, with all due respect, suggests it is not proxy related although I am more than happy to be corrected. Smile
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you follow the FAQ.
Skids
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
Make sure you follow the FAQ.

Hi Dave.

I have followed the FAQ and set IE to not use a proxy and POIEdit to use IE settings but when I do that it won't work at all!

I now have it set as manual proxy with no settings in there and it is definitely connecting properly.

I think I will have to wait and see what happens next time there is an update. Thanks for all the advice thought

Skids
Skids
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Updates still not working for POI Edit Reply with quote

Hi.

I am raising this again because I am getting the same problem as before now that new updates are available.

Please read the previous threads and you will see what I mean.

I have read the FAQs and I know exactly what I am doing but POIEdit does not seem to think there are updates available.

I have also turned off proxies (as much as NTL will allow!)

Basically it was working once and it isn't now and I haven't cahnged anything

I know I can update manually but that is what I use POIEdit for and shouldn't need to!

Apologies if I come across as abrupt but I have waited patiently for new updates to test it again and it still doesn't work.

This is really annoying me now.

Please help if you are able to.

Many Thanks

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: